Threading in PS line 94 camry

Hey, ive put in multiple hours trying to tighten this line down into a rebuilt PS on a 94 camry. its just about impossible to get a wrench or anything on it, and i just cant get it to thread properly by hand. was hoping someone would have some advice.
E5tkkZ1XEAIR3Qz.jpg

Those things can be finicky. Any chance you can move the line or the rack to get a bit more clearance? Perhaps some wiggling to needs to take place in order to get the fitting centered.

Those things can be finicky. Any chance you can move the line or the rack to get a bit more clearance? Perhaps some wiggling to needs to take place in order to get the fitting centered.
eh, theres honestly not even enough room in there to get a second hand on the hose to hold a different angle or anything while trying to tighten down. i feel like ive done just about all the wiggling i can do in the tight space

The line is clearly about to be cross threaded in the photo. It’s not square to the pump fitting. You’ve got to get the threaded part of the line squared up. Pressure, perhaps even a bit of bending, it until its perfectly square then it should thread by hand. Once threaded, a crow’s foot from the top or quality stubby, perhaps.

The line is clearly about to be cross threaded in the photo. It’s not square to the pump fitting. You’ve got to get the threaded part of the line squared up. Pressure, perhaps even a bit of bending, it until its perfectly square then it should thread by hand. Once threaded, a crow’s foot from the top or quality stubby, perhaps.
Line it up as best you can, turn backwards until you hear a click and then turn clockwise. No tools until its threaded in a few turns. Unlikely but not impossible to cross thread if using only your hands.

The drain plugs in my old Mercruiser 5.7L engine were far down on the sides of the engine. No real way to see, had to do it all by feel. Including at one point using a NPT tap to clean up the threads.

In this case it was brass plug going into cast iron block.

Line it up as best you can, turn backwards until you hear a click and then turn clockwise. No tools until its threaded in a few turns. Unlikely but not impossible to cross thread if using only your hands.

The drain plugs in my old Mercruiser 5.7L engine were far down on the sides of the engine. No real way to see, had to do it all by feel. Including at one point using a NPT tap to clean up the threads.

In this case it was brass plug going into cast iron block.
I've really never felt this useless before, I spent 8 hours just slowly trying to adjust and readjust but never got it to thread properly... i have never been so defeated. thread looks good on both female and male ends... i guess i try again in the morning

I hate to ask, but have you verified that the threads are correct? It just seems like you've been fighting it for an extreme amount of time. Any chance the new part could have the wrong threads?

As others said you need to gently thread it by hand for a few turns and then use a crows foot to tighten it. When you think your nut is threaded properly it's probably off 5 degrees or so. Maybe you should close your eyes and try to thread it by feel a few threads doing it gently.

Power steering line repairs are usually the biggest pain in the butt since the areas are so tight. You wish you had as many arms as an octopus in order to do what you need. Rest up and do it the next day. I've been there many times.

As others said you need to gently thread it by hand for a few turns and then use a crows foot to tighten it. When you think your nut is threaded properly it's probably off 5 degrees or so. Maybe you should close your eyes and try to thread it by feel a few threads doing it gently.

Power steering line repairs are usually the biggest pain in the butt since the areas are so tight. You wish you had as many arms as an octopus in order to do what you need. Rest up and do it the next day. I've been there many times.
appreciate the words of encouragement. Ive been doing it mostly by feel to be honest, once i get my hand up in there, theres not a room to see much unless i position my phone to catch it and view from the screen as im turning which is a pain. i will say, there was a few times i felt like i was close, more tension as i was turning like it was beginning to sit but whenever i got that feeling the nut would pop off and id have to restart. I got myself in a little over my head i guess, ill hope for more luck in the morning, i know once it finally sits in ill be doing victory laps around the neighborhood

As others have said, it's leaning to the right in this picture.

That tubing will bend. Go in there with some long pliers and persuade it a little so the line is sticking straight up. Then try again.

Reactions: JC1
As others have said, it's leaning to the right in this picture.

That tubing will bend. Go in there with some long pliers and persuade it a little so the line is sticking straight up. Then try again.
its got some wiggle to it already, i feel like bending it is extreme, i feel like its just a matter of finding the right angle and a lil bit of luck. i just removed the old pump from the same line, and with there being movement im just VERY nervous to get too aggressive with it and get to some point of no return.

appreciate the words of encouragement. Ive been doing it mostly by feel to be honest, once i get my hand up in there, theres not a room to see much unless i position my phone to catch it and view from the screen as im turning which is a pain. i will say, there was a few times i felt like i was close, more tension as i was turning like it was beginning to sit but whenever i got that feeling the nut would pop off and id have to restart. I got myself in a little over my head i guess, ill hope for more luck in the morning, i know once it finally sits in ill be doing victory laps around the neighborhood
Whatever you do, don't force it in. You'll just FUBAR it up. Slow and steady wins the race. If you can't get it at first, take a break if you can and come back an hour later and do it. You'll get it done.

Now that I look at it closer it looks similar to the rear lines on my Honda civics drum brakes. It had such a strange angle to get it started, I think it took my more than10 tries to get it properly threaded. I think I had to over compensate and bend the tube at what seemed like a strange angle and then it finally started to thread it. Maybe add some anti-seize to the treads before re-assembly.

its got some wiggle to it already, i feel like bending it is extreme, i feel like its just a matter of finding the right angle and a lil bit of luck. i just removed the old pump from the same line, and with there being movement im just VERY nervous to get too aggressive with it and get to some point of no return.

heres what a current attempt looks like, if theres any suggestions let me know, itll be greatly appreciated

If the line is aftermarket, or even if not, the bends usually aren’t perfect.
Can you remove the other end of the line to give yourself more wiggle?

Your video is blurry, check the threads to make sure they aren't smashed/nicked/damaged including the threads in the pump. I would loosen the mounting bolts for the pump so that the pump is free to move around and get aligned. Flare fittings don't like to thread in by hand unless they are pefectly lined up and even then they can be too tight to get very far by hand. If you can thread the line in loosely before mounting the pump where it goes that maybe easier than what you are trying to do.

Reactions: JC1
Loosen the part you are trying to screw it into then try. I would get a loose fitting the same size from the parts store and see if it fits with no line, you will see the correct angle and also insure the threads and size are correct.
If the fitting alone does not screw in easily or will not start use a dremel with cutting wheel to cut 3 lines through the threads top to bottom, put a little Vaseline on it, get it started and carefully try screwing in with a wrench or crowsfoot, clean any debris out with a q tip (most of it will be in the Vaseline.

Back