thoughts on Royal Purple "Purple Ice"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of adding this stuff to the coolant for long, heavy hauling, maybe for when it heats up. I sometimes tow between Phoenix and Portland, a 15,000lb trailer.. I haven't done any towing yet with my new truck, and it might not even need it, but with my older Dodge, the temps would sometimes get up there...

Does this stuff work, or is it snake oil? Also, does it do anything to protect the water pump and seals like they claim?

thanks

While I haven't tried the Royal Purple "Purple ICE" coolant additive, there was a test in one in Turbo Magazine that tested 4 different coolant additives, purple Ice wasn't one of them but may perform similar. Turbo Magazine I would read over the article and see if there are any chemical similarities of purple ice to any of the additives that turbo magazine tested. This may give you a ballpark estimate on how well it might work.

first of all i would see if your truck has any issues with just a normal 70:30 mix in the radiator. if it isnt cutting the mustard, get some water wetter, i have used it and it works quite well, however i found out that it doesnt like freezing temps so it you are going to see below freezing temps i wouldnt suggest it.

Darn you, BITOG! More stuff for me to ponder! The Turbo Magazine article above was quite eye-opening.
11.gif
11.gif

Yeah, thanks.. I have no intentions on using it until I see how the truck does w/o it first... I think with it being new, it should be fine.. but there areas driving out of Phoenix where the density altitude gets quite high.. with the summer temps and physical altitude getting into the 4-5K range... so even a new truck might get closet to high temps that I'd rather avoid.

THere was a huge thread a while back on Purple Ice and Water wetter. I think it is more designed in race cars that run pure water to help lube the water pump and improve cooling. I don't think there are any ill effects though when using it in a traditional cooling system however.

I use the product which is made by the company that actually manufactures the Purple Ice for RP (company name is NoRosion).

It is called Hyper Kuhl, and contains not only a wetting agent/ water pump and seal lubes, but anti-corrosives and sacrificial anode-like materials as well.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Waste of money... Been there and done all of this. Just maintain your vehicle and do radiator drain and refills every other year.

That's my gut feeling. I am guessing if it fixes a "Problem"...you have other problems...like a clogged up cooling system, bad WP, or bad T-Stat

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Waste of money... Been there and done all of this. Just maintain your vehicle and do radiator drain and refills every other year.

Kind of like the stop leak stuff.. I hear you. I think like some said, it works best if you are running straight water anyway.. Which is very impractical, especially where I live.

I have used it and had no issues. I chose to use it because my truck gets a workout in the summer with lots of stop and go, traffic, etc.

It cost me about $15 for the bottle. I just dumped in the reservoir and ran it about 40k until my next cooling system service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back