Thoughts on Kia vs. Hyundai Recalls and warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 11 Sonata a few months ago, as is.

Comes with the 120k shortblock warranty from Hyundai. I know I bought the car as is, and I don't mind paying for service, but here is my dilemma.

Various Kia's, and Hyundai's have this issue with the steering coupling falling apart, and causing banging in the steering column, and loose steering.

My 11 Sonata has 39k miles on it. It had the problem real bad. The fix is to take out the ECU, drop the steering column, and replace a $1.99 rubber gear, then put it all back together.

Hyundai dealer refused to fix it under warranty, as it was over on time by 10 months, but it was well under mileage.

I paid $330 for them to replace this $1.99 gear. I am satisfied with the repair, car steers like brand new now.

What really salts me, is that Kia has a recall on this repair, but Hyundai does not.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6-opti...ng-coupler.html

Is it typical for a car company to issue a recall on only one vehicle, but their other brand of clone vehicles are not recalled?

It's sort of like Ford saying, ok we are going to recall this Mercury Sable, but the Ford Taurus owner needs to pay for the repair out of pocket because we say so.

I have read that Hyundai/Kia has done this before. With the 2.4L engine recall, Hyundai warrantied the shortblock to 120k miles for all vehicles, and Kia did not warranty for almost a year later.

Last question. I am going to save my receipt for the service, do I have any chance at all of Hyundai choosing to refund my money if they choose to make this a recall item and I had already paid cash to have the repair done?

Thanks..

I feel a lot better about Hyundai as a brand in general but I think I personally need a few more years before I'd spread massive word of mouth about them quite yet. I was a bit disappointed with an engine recall they recently had. The details of it seemed very amateur hour but I don't own one so I am spotty on the details.

Metal chips from the mfgr. blocking the oiling system and starving the engine of oil or something really mundane.

If anyone is hassling with their dealership in the West Island PM me if you aren't happy with how you are being treated I narrowly missed the LMS recall on my Fit during my honeymoon phase so I know how it feels, but some people didn't like the cowling coming loose from the blue clips or the black tabs broken along the lower tray metal under cowl.

Anyway if you are really stressing out I can place a call to your guy at Hyundai to advocate on your behalf.

I would keep the receipt as Hyundai may issue a recall and you can be reimbursed then. Hyundai and KIA while under the same corporation are not the same company. There are many differences , what happens in one company probably wont apply in the other. While they tend to share platforms and drivetrains that is the only real similarity , operations , warranty are very different. Example I am KIA senior tech certified , however that means nothing to Hyundai. The job you had done with the steering coupling isnt the most fun of jobs , so id say for $399 you got a decent deal. The revised part is much better than the old and should hold up for the rest of your ownership of the vehicle.

Sorry to hear of your displeasure with the new/used car. I'd bypass the dealer and contact Hyundai corporate direct. I did sort of get the run around with their general customer service. But when I went to the top I did get satisfactory results. Let me know via PM if you want contact information.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Call your Local Lemon Law Attorneys they will have the information you need and the best thing is they are FREE

Products purchased on an "as is" or "with all faults" basis are typically not covered by state or federal lemon laws.

Originally Posted By: Thax
I would keep the receipt as Hyundai may issue a recall and you can be reimbursed then. Hyundai and KIA while under the same corporation are not the same company. There are many differences , what happens in one company probably wont apply in the other. While they tend to share platforms and drivetrains that is the only real similarity , operations , warranty are very different. Example I am KIA senior tech certified , however that means nothing to Hyundai. The job you had done with the steering coupling isnt the most fun of jobs , so id say for $399 you got a decent deal. The revised part is much better than the old and should hold up for the rest of your ownership of the vehicle.

I'm glad to hear the revised part is improved and not the same gear that turned into shreds. I like the car overall, and I do most of the work on it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back