Thoughts on going Redline 5w30 in my 2006 BMW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running Mobil 1 in my 2006 BMW 325i and am looking at going with a different oil this time. Has anyone here ran Redline 5w30 in their bimmer? Does anyone have thoughts on running Redline in my BMW?

If the BMW is doing fine with the Mobil 1 why change it out? Do you have a reason to change it to another oil? If it performs fine, keep using the Mobil 1.

You might talk to Bimmerworld and Bavarian Autosport as both recommend Redline. I am very pleased with the RL 0W-30 in my Volvo.

It should work fine. Don't use it unless you plan to race the car or run longer drain intervals -- otherwise it's a mostly a waste of money.

if your wanting to get an oil in that price/performance range, Amsoil can usually be bought a little cheaper than Redline, that being said redline is very good, and the mobil 1 is pretty good to, excellent at walmarts prices.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
If the BMW is doing fine with the Mobil 1 why change it out? Do you have a reason to change it to another oil? If it performs fine, keep using the Mobil 1.

I do actually. I have noticed I seem to have more burn off with the Mobil 1. I do not track my car, but do go a bit longer in the change intervals (7k - 8k mi).

Originally Posted By: Snyperx
I do actually. I have noticed I seem to have more burn off with the Mobil 1.

How much burn off are we talking about and what is your current mileage? These engines are known for consuming some oil, and this consumption can start at any time and is not related to any particular oil. Mine has been taking about a quart every 5K miles since I hit 50K miles or so.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Snyperx
I do actually. I have noticed I seem to have more burn off with the Mobil 1.

How much burn off are we talking about and what is your current mileage? These engines are known for consuming some oil, and this consumption can start at any time and is not related to any particular oil. Mine has been taking about a quart every 5K miles since I hit 50K miles or so.

Well I am about 7500k into my current oil change and the car has not displayed that I need to add oil. currently the indicator is right in the middle of min/max. Now keep in mind I am usually one notch below max since I use a full 7 quarts when doing an oil change. My car is at about 78k miles.

So you've lost maybe 0.5 qt or less in 7500 miles? I wouldn't be concerned one bit.

As for using Redline 5w-30, look in the UOA section for posts by a member called 'shanneba'. He's used it quite a bit in his 330ci which has a similar engine to yours.

I should add that the other issue that brought be to consider redline is the lifter tick that the N52 engine is known for. For those that do not know about this it is basically caused from not enough oil getting to the lifters to keep them quiet. I was thinking a slightly thicker oil might allow more of it to stay by the lifters and keep them lubricated. Maybe my thinking on this is incorrect. I was hoping to find an oil that would help minimize it or get rid of it completely. Now I will also say that my lifter noise is very minimal compared to other out there.

Which Mobil1 grade are you using? Is it the 0w-40? If so, it has been reported to make some BMW engines a bit more noisy, at least in the past with prior M1 formulations.

I get a bit of lifter tick in my m54 as well, and I've tried various oils with no difference.

Which Mobil1 grade are you using? Is it the 0w-40? If so, it has been reported to make some BMW engines a bit more noisy, at least in the past with prior M1 formulations.

I get a bit of lifter tick in my m54 as well, and I've tried various oils with no difference.

Yes, I currently have the M1 0w40 LL01 approved oil in my N52 engine.

I should also point out that the N52 engine is also spec'd for the BMW LL-01FE 0W-30. This is a A5/B5 oil with a HTHSV of 3.0cP.
If you're not going to push the OCI any light 0W/5W-30 oil would be fine such as M1 AFE 0W-30 (especially for winter use) or M1 5W-30 EP for longer drains.

Also, the RL 5W-30 you want to use is the same exact HTHS viscosity as the M1 0W-40 in your sump now.

The higher group 5/POE (ester) content of the RL basestock might have a SMALL quieting effect on the lifter tick vs. the M1, but I would not bet on it!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Also, the RL 5W-30 you want to use is the same exact HTHS viscosity as the M1 0W-40 in your sump now.

The N52 engine does not require a heavy 3.8cP HTHSV oil and RL 5W-30 is actually heavier on start-up than M1 0W-40.
I suggested RL 0W-30 (same POE/PAO, high moly, high ZDDP chemistry) for it's more appropriate 3.2cP HTHSV and similar VI to M1. It's a shear stable oil that has an operational viscosity on par if not higher than the BMW 5W-30.
In fact if it were my car, my RL oil choice would be their 0W-20 as it really is a light 30wt with the same viscosity as the BMW LL-01FE 0W-30; and that's as heavy an oil as necessary for street use in the OP's car.

Great information everyone. Well I ended up going with the same Mobil 1 0w40 since I came across it for $4.99 a quart. I couldn't pass that up. So not only did a I get a great price on Mobil 1 I also ended up with a LL-01 approved oil again.

But you haven't solved your lifter tick problem...

No I have not which is why it goes to the dealer Monday for a diagnosis:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back