Thoughts on GC in Jeep TJ with 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2004 Jeep TJ with the 4.0 engine and 75000 KM"S and i am currently running mobil 1 10w-30

im thinking of switching to GC 0w-30 because i hear its great stuff and i have a BMW that i will be using it in anyway so it would conveinient to only have 1 oil on the shelf....

anyone else seen a UOA or any word on using GC in a Jeep 4.0?

I'm sure GC will work fine in the 4.0. It's not the most elegant engine, but can manage a diet on the stuff without embarrassing itself in public
grin2.gif

Isn't GC all but impossible to find these days?
Even the posts here have dropped off dramatically on the subject...

The Straight Six? That engine is bulletproof. Go with the above mentioned Rotella 5w-40.

I think Rotella SB 0w-30 or 0w-40 would be better options for him. The XD-3 line in the same weights would also be sensible.

..but he wants to use one oil for both vehicles. I don't really see a reason not to use GC other than it's expense. I also don't see the need for RTS if one really isn't going to get the mileage out of it ..even though it is very reasonably priced. All the "extra" you're getting is literally going down the waste oil drain if you aren't using it to its capacity.

Personally Id stick with a 30 weight. the 4.0's only weakness is fuel economy.

I tried a "light" 40 weight (Mobil 0w40) for a while, and the MPG suffered slightly.

I've seen a good number of UOA's from the 4.0 and rotella, so its a good combo, just count on slightly increased fuel consumption.

I think GC would be a good choice. Good valvetrain protection with the ACEA A3 rating as well, from what Ive heard.

The 4.0 will run longer than the rest of the Jeep on pretty much any oil. Mines coming up on 100K and the 4.0 is in great shape but the rest of the jeep is falling apart and nickle and diming me to death.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter WHAT you run in a Jeep engine - overbuilt is an understatement. Personally, if you're trying to match the Jeeps oil with your BMW oil, I'd use M1 0W-40 in both. I just like the add-pack of the M1 better. No other reason.

thanks for the replies i just checked My local CT and they carry the Shell Rotella T6 5w-40,

my only concern is we regularaly experience tempertures down to -20 C and sometimes as low as -30 Celsius.... ill give it a shot next and see if the engine even starts in the cold with that oil....

Originally Posted By: ben_321
thanks for the replies i just checked My local CT and they carry the Shell Rotella T6 5w-40,

my only concern is we regularaly experience tempertures down to -20 C and sometimes as low as -30 Celsius.... ill give it a shot next and see if the engine even starts in the cold with that oil....

Don't worry for a second! A full-synthetic '5W' oil will start easily right down to it's pumping temp of -35C.

The engine won't care at the quoted temps. I've had 15w-40 in my son's 4.0 @ -23C. It really didn't care. Now I'm sure that he was pumping cold glue for a bit ..but..
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back