Thoughts on Dewalt DC500 vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this vacuum from Amazon. It runs on Dewalt batteries from 12 to 18V or on 110V. I already had the Dewalt DC515 vacuum, but that only runs on Dewalt 18V batteries. I think the suction is much better in the DC500, the hose is longer, includes a few attachments, but it is larger than the DC515, but not really large. I think it will be good to vacuum vehicles (cars & boats). I also like to vacuum the housing when replacing an air filter and its a pain to get out the shop vac with an extension cord for such a small task.

I will still use a normal shop vacuum for picking up large stuff in the garage or basement, but this will come in handy.

It did some with one tiny defective part. The head of one of the small screws holding the battery cover catch had broken off and was loose in the battery compartment. The catch is tight now but I fear it will loosen with only one screw holding it that has a head. What a shame that a 5 cent item is causing the item to be returned. But Amazon pays for everything, I just need to drop off the old one prepaid at a UPS place.

I do not notice anything high pitched. But not sure I did with my DC515 either.

Am I the only one who vacuums the air filter housing when replacing a filter?

i dont vacuum out anything air filter related, but i bang the hepa filter on the cement after each use and a good amount of [censored] always comes out. (i do this to my home vacuum too)

I've had one for a few years (at least 5) and still love it. Not nearly the suciton of a pure 120v shopvac, but plenty for around-the-house work. I really like the Gore(?) filter that comes with it--water just won't go through it. Very easy to clean and dries in a few minutes.

I haven't used it on battery power in years, but it would run for ~15 minutes.

I picked up a Black & Decker Flex cordless vacuum for cleaning the rugs in the cars, handy as all get out, now use it in the house as well. Has excellent suction.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I picked up a Black & Decker Flex cordless vacuum for cleaning the rugs in the cars, handy as all get out, now use it in the house as well. Has excellent suction.

My goal was two fold, 1) cordless vacuum 2) use existing Dewalt batteries.

I have too many cordless products that have their own unique battery. So where possible I go for Dewalt 18V.

I'd like a Dewalt 18V grease gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: jcwit

My goal was two fold, 1) cordless vacuum 2) use existing Dewalt batteries.

I have too many cordless products that have their own unique battery. So where possible I go for Dewalt 18V.

I'd like a Dewalt 18V grease gun.

Understood Don, I did the same with a B & D Cordless Drill/WeedEater/Blower.

The B & D Flex has a self contained battery tho, course that means you can't put a charged battery in/on it when the other battery gets low on its charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back