Thoughts on a 2006 Troy-Bilt Generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 5550 watt Troy-Bilt. Has 390 hours on it.

Pros: Briggs Intek 10hp starts on 1st or second pull. Runs pretty smooth once warmed up. Handles a 40 amp load with ease.

Cons: Pretty loud. Fuel economy is okay, about 6 hours run time with a 40 amp load (5 gallon tank). Tires go flat in about a month (newer ones have rigid tires). The voltage varies a little bit, about 5 volts, depending on the load (I use a VOM to check). I would not use it on a TV/Computer without a UPS/line conditioner though.

I change the oil every 25 hours. I run it every few weeks for an hour with a 15 amp load, and turn off the fuel valve and let it run dry.

I would recommend it.

What size one are you looking at?

Dave

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave

Dave

I was told its a 7800 run/13,500 surge. I believe its a 17HP Intek?

Originally Posted By: deeter16317

Dave

Hopefully, it is electric start
grin.gif
. First thing I would do, is put an inexpensive hourmeter on it. The TB generators are fine for emergency backup power, outdoor power needs, but I think they are a little loud for camping/tailgate parties. I did build a small insulated enclosure for mine, in case I need to run it long time.

Dave

Dave

Hopefully, it is electric start
grin.gif
. First thing I would do, is put an inexpensive hourmeter on it. The TB generators are fine for emergency backup power, outdoor power needs, but I think they are a little loud for camping/tailgate parties. I did build a small insulated enclosure for mine, in case I need to run it long time.

Dave

Thanks for the info...supposedly it has less than ten hours of run time on it, and it is electric start. Its for emergency backup power, a little big for tailgating!

Originally Posted By: irq3
It sounds like it is model 030237.

Troy Bilt Generator Manuals

Wow! Thanks! That'll help, if it comes home with me.

Other than checking voltage, any other way to test for operation?? I'm taking my VOM with me...

If the price is right, why not. That is very big for a portable generator and will use LOTS of gasoline, so keep that in mind.

I would check all the outlets for voltage, check the circuit breakers to see if they reset, etc.

Take a space heater or something that will put a load on the unit and see how well the engine runs with a load.

Hopefully it is not beat up or left out in the elements.

Dave

Dave

In the pictures I've been provded, it looks like new...

Dave

In the pictures I've been provded, it looks like new...

Should be worth a look then.
smile.gif

Dave

Ok, the thing followed me home...for the price, it wasn't a steal; about 2/3 the cost of one new.

He claimed it only had about 6 hours of use...it looks perfect, and by the condition of the rest of his toys; I have no doubt it was well cared for. He also indicated it still has the original oil in it, because he never got to the recommended OCI of 8 hours for the break-in oil.

Next question...its a pressurized oil system. It states in the engine manual 30w above 40*F, 5w30/10w30 (narrow range) below 40*F, or synthetic 5w30/10w30 for all temperature ranges. Obvious choice is a synthetic since you never know when it will be needed. I'm thinking Mobile 5w30 since I can get it locally and I have used it in other applications successfully.

Thoughts?

I don't like any 5W30 in small air cooled engines except in the dead of winter.

In the heat of the summer I would want a good SAE30 or 15W40 in there.

A good synthetic 10W30 is a decent compromise for year round use.

agree ^^^. also don't like M1 in OPE that runs hard. bad personal experience. I tend to move a little thicker in OPE. 5-40, 10-30. syn.

It states in the engine manual 30w above 40*F, 5w30/10w30 (narrow range) below 40*F, or synthetic 5w30/10w30 for all temperature ranges.

It also states higher than normal oil consumption using non-synthetic 5w30/10w30 above 40*F and "possible engine bore damage" using SAE30 below 40*F.

The synthetic 5w30 and 10w30 are highlighted, and it states that synthetic oil meeting ILSAC GF-2, API SJ/CF (or higher) is an acceptable oil at all temperatures...it then states use of synthetic doesn't change the OCI.

So I'm thinking synthetic 10w30 to meet all expectations? If not M1, then what?

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
id forget syn, and run 10w30 dino in winter

So I'm to follow the engine manual TO THE TEE for my Kohler, but for my B&S its just throw that manual out the window??

So I'm to follow the engine manual TO THE TEE for my Kohler, but for my B&S its just throw that manual out the window??

i have no idea why im so hated on down here, i give an opinion just as everyone else, just i back it w yrs of experience!! and when on earth have i recommended syn in any sm engine? OH wait, ive called it what it is.......a waste

in fact, i only recommend 10w30 or sae30 dino, you shoot an engine, and ill bet ya, i can shoot you a response, then YOU can verify it via your manual, small air cooled engines are SIMPLE so is their oil requirements

i have no idea why im so hated on down here, i give an opinion just as everyone else, just i back it w yrs of experience!! and when on earth have i recommended syn in any sm engine? OH wait, ive called it what it is.......a waste

Because your opinions are inconsistent, just as I show here...for one engine you harp that using anything but SAE30 is SO WRONG because a 30+ year old manual says so, then this one that the ENGINE manual clearly shows multiple options you state not to run one of the options, just because. So which is it? Stick to the ENGINE MANUAL, or not?

- I chose to run a 15w40 in a Kohler, and you bash me because its not in the manual.

- I try to chose an oil based on engine manufacturer recommendations, and you tell me not to use one of the manufacturer recommended oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back