Thoughts on 3.5 Ecoboost that pulls

I have a 2014 F150 Ecoboost, and I work it like a rented mule. I live in Utah at 6500' and I tow a full size travel trailer that weighs in at 5500 lbs. So I am pretty much always towing at elevations north of 5000', often in high temperatures(90+F, up to 100F), and often fighting a headwind, and of course pulling steep grades for miles on end. Last year I towed back from WY on a 95F day in a 30mph headwind and was having to run the truck in 3rd gear at 55mph(in a 70mph zone) to keep the coolant temps below 230F on the flat stretches of road, to give you an idea of the conditions I put it through. I have warped exhaust manifolds twice in these conditions. My truck routinely sees 240F coolant temperature on climbs during the summer. I back out of the throttle to keep it in the mid-230's.

I have an aftermarket intercooler, oversized transmission air/oil cooler, and I am also running a Setrab oil cooler that is thermostatically controlled to target 205°F oil temps. i don't know what the actual oil temps hit, but I suspect between the factory cooler and the Setrab they probably are low/mid 200's. I will also be installing a Mishimoto Aluminum radiator this spring to help with coolant temps.

So, what oil? In the past I have used QSUD, PUP, and Castrol GTX Magnatec. I have not noticed any negative side effects related to oil. Do I need something more robust?

If you haven't noticed any negative effects from the oils you've been using, what makes you think you'd need something more robust?

If you haven't noticed any negative effects from the oils you've been using, what makes you think you'd need something more robust?
Because I only have 92k miles on the truck with ~12k towing. I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon so I would prefer it last and not be replacing turbos or timing chain or anything like that.

It gets abused. Im honestly suprised I haven't killed a turbo yet between the elevation and seemingly endless headwinds around here.

Oil is oil with the same specs. Change it often. 5,000 miles.

Yeah I am running 5k oci's now. I have actually been thinking about reducing them, since I really don't drive the truck all that much. I bet i only put 10k miles on it in 2020 and 6k of that may have been towing. So those 5000 miles on the oil are mostly hard miles.

I need to do a UOA and see what happens. I just changed the oil a couple weeks ago so its gunna be a while before I need to do it again.

Because I only have 92k miles on the truck with ~12k towing. I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon so I would prefer it last and not be replacing turbos or timing chain or anything like that.

It gets abused. Im honestly suprised I haven't killed a turbo yet between the elevation and seemingly endless headwinds around here.
I would keep using Magnatec or Edge but you're g2g.

I use Euro 40wt oils (almost exclusively Castrol 0w40) in my 2016. These trucks seem to last longest when they are worked. frequent oil changes help the mile long timing chain as well.

I use Euro 40wt oils (almost exclusively Castrol 0w40) in my 2016. These trucks seem to last longest when they are worked. frequent oil changes help the mile long timing chain as well.

The timing chain makes me shake my head. why would they do that?

I have a 15 5.0 but I looked heavily into the 3.5 first gen (that would be yours at a 14 model year). I like the 8 but the deciding factor was price and availability so I went 5.0. Otherwise it would have been a 3.5.

From what I've seen any quality SN + and a reasonable OCI is going to keep you well protected. If I was in your circumstances I would use SN+ oil and 5k OCI with filter. The concern for a long run for me would be the loooong timing chains and keeping them clean as possible. I'm sure you already are but make sure to stomp it every now and then to make sure the turbo blast gates get opened. Otherwise they can stick and cause an issue.

Given your towing situation and hard-working turbos at high altitudes, Mobil 1 or Castrol "Euro" 0W-40 oils would be my choice for superior protection -- especially concerning the turbos. The only 5W-30 oil I would consider would be Shell Rotella Multi-Vehicle (5W-30 viscosity). It has quality base stocks and a high HTHS that should protect. But, I'm back to those mentioned 0W-40 oils... think they have equivalent or better base stocks and equal to or higher HTHS values as compared to Rotella MV.

Given your grueling engine workouts in high heat environments, stick with 3K to 4K OCI's. Be conservative and accomplish these if you like your truck. :)

Last edited:
You don't need a new oil. You need a truck with a V8.

Here we go...

My buddy has a 2020 F-150 with the 2.7, basically the same truck as mine. He called me the other day before he hooked 2k pounds of trailer and mower to it. He wanted to know if it was safe for his truck to pull it, since it had a V6. He said his friend had a 1998 Silverado with a V8 that he could borrow if he needed to. I just laugh and shake my head when people start this V8 nonsense. Just for arguments sake here are some numbers.

1998 Silverado 5.7: 255hp 330lb ft
2020 F150 2.7: 325hp 400lb ft
2020 F150 5.0: 395hp 400lb ft
2020 f150 3.5: 375hp 475lb ft
OPs F150 3.5: 365hp 420lb ft

Don't get me started on WHERE the power is made, as the V6TT will make the V8s look like they don't belong.

For the OP: I'd go with a 0w40 like many others have said. Castrol smells better than Mobil, so that's what I'd use.

In another similar thread, Navi wrote that he's using Chevron Delo XSP 5W-40 CK4/SN+ oil in his EcoBoost with great results.

I also believe this is a great option for your 3.5L EB towing monster. :)

Here we go...

My buddy has a 2020 F-150 with the 2.7, basically the same truck as mine. He called me the other day before he hooked 2k pounds of trailer and mower to it. He wanted to know if it was safe for his truck to pull it, since it had a V6. He said his friend had a 1998 Silverado with a V8 that he could borrow if he needed to. I just laugh and shake my head when people start this V8 nonsense. Just for arguments sake here are some numbers.

1998 Silverado 5.7: 255hp 330lb ft
2020 F150 2.7: 325hp 400lb ft
2020 F150 5.0: 395hp 400lb ft
2020 f150 3.5: 375hp 475lb ft
OPs F150 3.5: 365hp 420lb ft

Don't get me started on WHERE the power is made, as the V6TT will make the V8s look like they don't belong.

For the OP: I'd go with a 0w40 like many others have said. Castrol smells better than Mobil, so that's what I'd use.

And the paper numbers are one thing, but its more the fact that my Ecoboost maintains those numbers right up to 7000', and I have data logged this to confirm, while a V8 is down 20% on power and torque. I've also data logged the 4.6L in my Lexus GX and it is almost perfectly down 20%. The GM 6.2L is the only V8 I would have considered simply because its rating is so high at 420 hp that it would make mid 300's here. Unfortunately, in 2014, GM was so stingy with the 6.2L that finding one with the max tow package and a crew cab long bed would have been nearly impossible.

Back in 2014, even the HD pickups were anemic compared to the Ecoboost. The new gas 7.3L Godzilla is the first engine in an HD that I would consider and may in the future.

Back