3.6 Pentastar easy on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday went on a little road trip with a mixed medley of driving conditions. I had some city traffic with stop lights
and highway speeds of 80 mph. I kept a watch on oil temp, engine temp and oil pressure. The temp outside was low 90's with oppressive humidity. So here are the numbers approx 95 miles traveled 70 % highway. Oil psi stayed in the low/mid 30's, water temp never went above 215° and the oil temp never went over 190°. Oil temp hovered around 185° until I waited in line for several minutes to get Exxon gas for $2.95 a gallon. It seems that the coolant system and oil cooler are working well. It seems that this engine is fairly easy on oil as far as temperature goes. Thoughts??

Last edited:
It just means your cooling system is in pristine condition. Some might argue your oil temperatures are too low to properly burn off contamination but as said already if your running PU your already giving your engine some of the best stuff possible.

An engine easy on oil would be able to run extended changes on conventional without sludging. I not sure you can do that with your engine but with Ultra you could.

we see a lot of those 3.6 engines here at my engine shop for low mileage rebuilds
mostly used car dealers who buy them with bad engines but some owners also. This engine is trouble and like most car companies they dont want to fix anything unless they are forced into it.

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
So yesterday went on a little road trip with a mixed medley of driving conditions. I had some city traffic with stop lights
and highway speeds of 80 mph. I kept a watch on oil temp, engine temp and oil pressure. The temp outside was low 90's with oppressive humidity. So here are the numbers approx 95 miles traveled 70 % highway. Oil psi stayed in the low/mid 30's, water temp never went above 215° and the oil temp never went over 190°. Oil temp hovered around 185° until I waited in line for several minutes to get Exxon gas for $2.95 a gallon. It seems that the coolant system and oil cooler are working well. It seems that this engine is fairly easy on oil as far as temperature goes. Thoughts??

I have a Chrysler 300 nearing its first oil change. Doing some break-in in the mountains, highest I saw was 214F on the coolant and 219F on the oil. Seems reasonable.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
we see a lot of those 3.6 engines here at my engine shop for low mileage rebuilds
mostly used car dealers who buy them with bad engines but some owners also. This engine is trouble and like most car companies they dont want to fix anything unless they are forced into it.

Can you provide more info? What failed? Other than a valvetrain/head defect that was resolved I've seen nothing bad about these engines.

Originally Posted By: BrandonT

Can you provide more info? What failed? Other than a valvetrain/head defect that was resolved I've seen nothing bad about these engines.
i think he is mistaken? they all are still under warranty! they were just introduced in 2011.

Baloney.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Baloney.

Complete baloney. Has anyone seen the production numbers? The failure rate on this engine is extremely low even with the cylinder head issue, which is a dead issue now.

Seeing even a dozen of these in a shop in no way proves there is anything wrong on a worldwide basis.

I spend a lot of time on Jeep forums. Jeep people really beat their engines off road. Other than left head ticking, the pentastar seems to be holding up to jeep use ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I spend a lot of time on Jeep forums. Jeep people really beat their engines off road. Other than left head ticking, the pentastar seems to be holding up to jeep use ...

What amazes me is we only have ONE reported instance of this in a 300 on our site 330cforums.com IIRC.

I still can't understand why it's a "Jeep thing". It is sold in many different cars and trucks, you would think there would be more bad ones...

It would make more sense if ALL RWD engines had the problem. It's my understanding that the manifolds are integrated to the head - so there is definitely a difference between the FWD and RWD versions.

The head problem does seem to be pretty common. We've had 4 or 5 people in the local jeep club have left head problems. IIRC - only one of them actually takes the jeep off road. The others just drove it to work on the highway.

Other than that, seems to be holding up well.

Miller88 you lost me at FWD and RWD? I think there is only one version of this engine, and none of them go in FWD cars?

Miller88 you lost me at FWD and RWD? I think there is only one version of this engine, and none of them go in FWD cars?

The Pentastar does come in the FWD Chrysler 200 and the Chrysler and Dodge mini-vans.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

The Pentastar does come in the FWD Chrysler 200 and the Chrysler and Dodge mini-vans.

And the dodge avenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back