Thoughts on 100K Mile Sealed ATF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
sp IV is a very good atf. If i were in your shoes i'd do one very soon to get some break in materials out and from there do anything from 30-60k depending on driving circumstances after that. I would stick with sp IV at least during warranty because Hyundai is known to test fluid to void them. Even post warranty i would stick with sp IV but im sure maxlife would work well too.

Excellent advise... IMO

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by ToadU
Save your money and drive the car. Change at 100k per owners manual. Follow the owners manual unless you are using the car under severe duty. The fluid is totally fine under normal driving conditions for 100k miles. I own a decent sized repair facility and this is the advice I would give you if you walked in the door. If you insisted then I'd do the change, take your money and laugh all the way to the bank. Honestly, if you do it before 100k it's just a waste of time, money and effort—not to mention bad for the environment too.

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't follow the person who suggested a home brew drain and flush through the cooler lines. A bad idea for many reasons.

my Escape at 60k it made a big difference in shift quality. The old fluid was very dark. Ford says to wait til 150k to change it. But it's got a dipstick and a drain plug so why not change it sooner. When it comes to "sealed" transmissions, well, I'd still change it before 100k. The fact that it shifted better indicated that the old fluid was worn out, no?

Confirmation bias. Unless you abused your Escape towing above max gross up Ike Gauntlet a few times no way will I ever believe any tranny fluid is bad at 60k miles unless said tranny had something break and a catastrophic failure occurred.

.....also different brands of fluids may have slightly differing additive packages which might slightly change shifting feel...best example off top of my head is Toyota WS vs Maxlife ATF fluid. There is often a slight difference. Not that either is detrimental to the transmission .......but a slight difference often reported. I still lean on the side of confirmation bias.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back