Those Who Change Their Own Oil - check in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this strictly out of curiosity. The concrete is a little bit cold this time of year but I still enjoy doing the change myself. The wheels never leave the ground when I do mine. I just roll a floor jack under the front with a block of 2X4 and raise the car up just enough to give myself a little room. Some guys with tall pick-up trucks I would imagine don't even need a jack for theirs. For me it's one of life's simple pleasures.
cheers.gif

Just did it today. Was alot worse than I thought it would be with a friends help. Next time I will have a jack and stands, instead of cinder blocks and some makeshift ramps. Brought a filter from America, and the change was done with no hitches.

I have attempted a few times to have the dealers change my oil, thinking they were the right people to be under the hood. I never left with the feeling that it had been done right. I want it changed hot, drained completely and want to know excately what kind of oil is in it.

I change the oil. Need ramps for the Honda, but for the F150 I can slither under w/o jacking or ramping. Did the Honda 88 Accord, 166k, outside the other day, kinda windy, yuck. Might have to do the AutoRX with it. 1700 miles, the oil was nasty.

*raises hand* Changed my oil a week ago on my STi in my driveway. I have a nice set of metal ramps that work with low ground clearance vehicles (I also own a set of the plastic Rhino ramps too). This time of year I bundle up as much as possible with some old clothes, then throw on an old mechanics overalls my father used to use. I probably look like a total dork, but at least I stay clean and warm. The location of the oil filter on my Subie (vertically mounted right up front) and the Fumoto valve I use make oil changes a breeze. Gives me a good opportunity to inspect everything underneath the car to look for any leaks/problems before I might otherwise notice them (not that I've had any issues with my Subaru [knocks-on-wood]).

I've always changed my own oil. It allows me to inspect/investigate any noises or torn/leaking CV Joint boots and rust situations. I personally don't want an oil that I can do 10,000 OCI. I want to inspect the underneath of my vehicles more often than that. Plus, I just enjoy doing it!

Our Winter hasn't been that bad. I'm sure the gas companies are crying in their cereal bowl over all the lost big time profits.

I used to have two large GM vehicles, now we got two Honda Accords. Either way, for comfort I jack everything up and throw two jackstands under them.

I also use a creeper, too. Best thing I have ever spent $30 on. I also place my rectangular drain pan on an upside down plastic 20-oz Coke bottle crate. Keeps the splashing down. I use nitrile gloves and let it drain for 2 beers.
grin.gif

I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles and change the oil and filter twice a year.
First week of April when the weather warms up and first week of November before it gets cold.
I go from 5w30 to 10w30 with the April change.
Rhino Ramps for the Toyota and Chevy.
Just crawl under the Explorer.

Did my Minivan yesterday as the temps soared to the low 50's here. This time it tasted a mix of Havoline 5W-20/30 with a bottle of Valvoline Maxlife Engine Protector.

Next time around, this old, tired Caravan is going to taste some Conoco... ie... Kendall -- drinking it straight with no Valvoline MEP or SOT deserts added.

I had my wife take her Explorer to Wally World to have the oil changed today. I can not do as I had back surgery about 4 weeks ago. Anyway it is the best price for a Mobil 1 oil change I can find. $32.00 for the 5w30 EP and a Motorcraft filter. I feel like such a traitor to the car now. I am the only one who has ever changed the oil on any of our vehicles. Be glad when the healing is over and I can do it again. I guess I just like knowing it was done correctly. By the way we have an Explorer and a F-150 and they are a breeze without jacks or ramps.

Sounds like there are a lot of people who like working on their cars!

I love working on my cars and change all the fluids and do most repairs myself. I have two Subarus and so far I have found they are very easy to work on compared to the Ford's I've had in the past.

I recently bought an Omega air hydraulic floor jack from tooldiscounter and I absolutely love it. I use it for jacking for changing oil filters, changing transmission fluid, tire swaps&rotations, differential fluid changes, oxygen sensors, and sometimes I jack the car up just for fun. Of course jackstands are a must and wheel chocks are a good idea too.

I have an unheated garage and found that one of those inexpensive 5/10/15kbtu propane radiant heaters that mounts right on the 20lb tank makes working in the garage in the cold much more enjoyable.

-Louis
patriot.gif

I have been doing my best to time my oil changes at the beginning of march and september to avoid the cold weather. However, sometimes that isn't possible when one my family members drive way too much over the summer and very little over the winter. messes up the oci.

I run the 528es up on 2x10s about 2' long. This allows me enough room to slide the drain pan under the plug. I have a couple pieces of old carpet to lie on.

I change the oil for both '02 Sentras we own. My QR25DE is a breeze but my wife's QG18DE is a PITA. I also change the oil in my girl friends '95 Olds Cutlass. I usually use a jack with stands but I am considering purchasing some of those plastic ramps I've seen at Advance Auto.

i ahve been changing my own oil for 25 years. I've heard too many horror stories about loose drain plugs and caps.

After doing it all these years with jack and stands I ahev changed to a oil extractor.

No need to crawl under the car and get oil on hands.Just suck it out. My experience is that it gets almost all the oil out.

i change my own oil. i have been the only one to change the oil on my vehicles while i owned them. i guess im lucky, my dad has a lift. makes the oil change and tire rotation very easy as well as other maintenance items that are taken care of under the vehicle. also lets you get under the entire car and check stuff over. i had to change the oil outside once, it was a little windy that day, not fun. i jacked up one side of my neon and put a 6"x6" block under the front tire and did the same to the other side.

change my own and pretty much all the vehicle that my family drives as well.

we have a garage at some land about 5 miles away, its heated.

used to change oil just using jacks, but now have wheel-ramps.

still have to use jacks on the cars that won't clear the ramps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back