Those Who Change Their Own Oil - check in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do 3,000 OCI's on my two cars (old Mitsu and 2003 Corolla). I do it because I know it will be done right, I save money (and use better oil) and save time compared to taking it somewhere.

I change mine too, the Cherokee requires no ramps, no tools other than the socket wrench for the drain plug and wrench thing for the filter. I do it outside in about 15 minutes.

Good thing mine is a 1/2 ton pickup. Even though i'd do mine outdoors, i make sure i'd bring something for me to lay down on so that the concrete wont hurt my back. Plus, i bring a small pillow for my head, so that my neck wont be all sore whenever im done.

I always change my own. Out on the street, no matter what the weather may be. No need to pay somebody to do something so simple.

Always changed my own. Even the lowest Subarus in our family's fleet can be done w/ no ramps, no jacks, no nothin'. I'd have to think HARD before buying a car that I couldn't get under for an oil change. Filter & drain plug are in easy reach where they belong
smile.gif

Dave

Islander - same here (although only for about 32 yrs.).
I'm fortunate to now have a heated garage, but for many years (in my younger days when I could handle it),worked on my rides in the great outdoors.

Obviously employ the Rhino ramps for the Stang GT,& Escape. I find it difficult to trust someone else to change the oil, besides it gives me the opportunity to check for potential problems, leaks, grease, etc.

I usually try to perform all maintainence to my rides, except where it may fall under warranty, and/or computer control.

Long gone are the days where I would climb under the hood of my F-100, stand, straddling the A frame to change plugs on the 230 cid straight six

[ February 04, 2006, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Dr Cpk ]

I love working on my own vehicles. I get a kick out of it and like others here, it gives me a good chance to check other things out. Ball joints, loose or worn lines, tires, and I change my PCV valve everytime I change the oil etc...

Alot of people tend to forget the computer valve, make sure that thing is clean and wide open
lol.gif
j/k op

I just changed my own yesterday. I used to always do my own but for the 3 oil changes before this one I have let a quick place do mine. It was nice to do it myself again and I plan to continue to do my own. It was very easy to do especially since the quick place had not really tightened to filter or the drain plug all that tight. Maybe I over tighten because there were no leaks with them doing it but they seem to leave it at the lose end where I put it on towards the tighter end. Maybe their way is better thougth who knows.

quote:

Anyway it is the best price for a Mobil 1 oil change I can find. $32.00 for the 5w30 EP and a Motorcraft filter.

Wow, $32 is only a dollar or two above cost if I change the oil myself! now I'm starting to wonder...

quote:

Dr Cpk ......
I would climb under the hood of my F-100, stand, straddling the A frame to change plugs on the 230 cid straight six

smile.gif
Exactly how I tuned up the 74 F-250 300 cid. Used to get some amused looks and comments from passers-by...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back