This will make you happy…

Click bait title……
6611C6D9-98C4-465E-B09F-5D3414F5D5F5.jpeg

Less than $10 dollars more buying it from John Deere and no shipping than the only other place I could find an OEM starter for my 318. Mitsubishi made in Japan. I went with this $360 dollar OEM one rather than the $50 to $100 knock off ones since you have to pull the motor out to get it out of there. Solenoid wend bad on the old one but an OEM solenoid is not available anywhere.

I will show the mess it is to get to when I put it back together.

OE is best but if it only needed a solenoid that starter is one of the most common there is, keep it in mind for next time. This is the fitment for that M002T43581 starter and a quality Denso solenoid is under $30. Brushes, end caps/with bearing, front bearing and drives for this can be had cheap.
As long as the field and armature wiring is okay its a 30 min job to do a rebuild.

Reactions: JC1
thats partly why i DONT want or NEED a newer vehicle! "KISS" keep it simpler stupid!! hard to believe how many simpler things used to be years compared to new-er vehicles + surely many buyers never know until it goes B$$$$M!!!!

thats partly why i DONT want or NEED a newer vehicle! "KISS" keep it simpler stupid!! hard to believe how many simpler things used to be years compared to new-er vehicles + surely many buyers never know until it goes B$$$$M!!!!
So removing the engine to change the starter is simple?

OE is best but if it only needed a solenoid that starter is one of the most common there is, keep it in mind for next time. This is the fitment for that M002T43581 starter and a quality Denso solenoid is under $30. Brushes, end caps/with bearing, front bearing and drives for this can be had cheap.
As long as the field and armature wiring is okay its a 30 min job to do a rebuild.

Interesting. Did some searching on this a few months ago when I though it finally died and found no mention that the solenoid crossed to a common application. Lots of reviews on the cheap replacement stuff being hit and miss. The clocking on this starter is specific to this application so narrows the search results when looking. If it was as simple unbolting the old one and bolting the new one I would have rebuilt it or just done the solenoid.

I figured someone would get a kick out of a 30 year old OPE part still being available and not made in China. Amazingly John Deere tried going to Chinese belts a few years ago but quickly switched back because they did not hold up.

If people keep buying them Mitsubishi will still have a reason to make them. Rather than $50 Made in China for a loss, then later $360 made in China when no one else is still making them. It is a simple and old idea, first knock out the competition with price. Happy. Good job.

First thought was it looked just like a Kubota starter! 😂

What model needs the engine removed to replace the starter?

Last edited:
Onan P218g in a John Deere 318. The older Onan B43 engines with the bendix starters could be done without removing the motor I think but when they went to this style they even had to put a bump out in the frame for it to fit.

Forgot to update this. Starts like a charm now.
BFD51136-9FE6-44E9-9F19-D511BB84E17E.jpeg
A40BE440-FB16-44AD-949C-F26CADEE1D37.jpeg
004DEA54-1BDF-4732-B558-F8605494DFFD.jpeg
5C91AEC7-3C77-4119-B739-DB2324A0BD08.jpeg
CA2C1C1A-7181-4E71-BEC7-BD419A8C8B87.jpeg

As you can see. Not an easy thing to get to. You can’t even tighten the nut on the battery cable from the underside.

I really appreciate your patience replacing that starter. I more than likely would have sold it on FB marketplace and bought a new one. Good job and keep on the great work.

Back