This tire has good tread ... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a tire gets worn and is bumping you might just think it's out of balance.

I sold tires and it took me a while to get it myself, but that bumping is most likely a loose belt inside tire, and the rubber is still barely holding it.

It's already tread separated, but just hasn't quite done it , yet.

Can the wear bars be felt? I don't think so. There are so many that it wouldn't feel like separate thumps.

Is there science that says that a tire has "adequate" water dispersion ability (or whatever is needed) down to 2/32" of tread depth? Whatever adequate means, is there something behind that, or did the committee that decided that just decide to quite arguing at that point, write it down, and end the day at the bar?

In my state, when "traction tires are required" for snow, this includes M&S/all-season as well as snowflake-on-mountain tires, 4/32" tread depth is the minimum. Of course that would only be measured when the car upside down in the ditch.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Can the wear bars be felt? I don't think so. There are so many that it wouldn't feel like separate thumps........

No, they can not be felt. I don't know why that was even proposed - except to say that someone needed an explanation for a vibration they were feeling.

......Is there science that says that a tire has "adequate" water dispersion ability (or whatever is needed) down to 2/32" of tread depth? Whatever adequate means, is there something behind that, or did the committee that decided that just decide to quite arguing at that point, write it down, and end the day at the bar?.......

It is known that wet and snow traction decrease as the tire wears - and it is smooth and continuous. That is, there is no point where it suddenly gets worse or changes direction.

So 2/32nds was a pretty arbitrary point. They could have easily picked 4/32nds. In fact, there was recent activity to change the law and have the wear bars raised to 4/32nds. Most everyone in the industry agreed that 4/32nds is where the tires ought to be removed, but changing the law is a completely different question. Every mold would need to be changed - and there would be a period of transition that would be confusing. Not to mention the change in mileage warranties.

........In my state, when "traction tires are required" for snow, this includes M&S/all-season as well as snowflake-on-mountain tires, 4/32" tread depth is the minimum. Of course that would only be measured when the car upside down in the ditch.

It's a shame that things have to get to the point where people have to have accidents to force them to spend some money for safety. I'm not a believer in large government, but I can see that there are a bunch of people who will not spend money unless forced to.

Interesting. I always thought wear bars made noise and vibrated ... what is the purpose of them?

I usually ditch my 3 seasons around 5/32 ... I cuouldn't imagine someone trying to navigate the snow with these.

I generally don't support large government ... but I would support legislation to force people to use safe tires for winter.

Originally Posted By: supton
I thought wear bars were just visual indicators, not noise.

I have ever seen noise or vibrations tied to the wear bars - and thinking it through, I can't imagine HOW a wear bar would produce enough noise/vibration to exceed those other things that ARE known to produce noise/vibration.

The inside tread of my 2 rear tires on S2000 is slightly less than 2/32", the middle and outside treads are is slightly less than 3/32", they are still perform well on both dry and wet surfaces.

I wouldn't drive with it weather it certified or not. I also think that most jurisdictions standards for tire to pass safety are inadequate.

I once bought a used car with tires just a little beefier than that. They really sucked in the wet. It was only 3.5 months until winter and I thought I'd try to finish them off driving carefully, then get a good used set for the winter and only buy new tires in the spring if the car turned out to be worth keeping beyond that. Big Mistake. Caused me to rear-end someone when the car just couldn't make an easy stop on a damp downhill in cool weather.

Maybe today they're braking OK. Maybe for a little while you'll auto-adjust to increased stopping distance. But one day they'll take even longer to stop than you expected and there won't be any text message warning you a week in advance.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
It's funny this topic should come up, as I am currently involved in a lawsuit where one of the issues is how much tread is left on a tire - from photographs. Some people who were deposed say that one CAN'T determine the tread depth from a photo. Some say that 2/32nds is more than adequate.

Clearly, the folks who posted above don't think that. Interesting.

you can't because when the tyres are worn to the wear bars you're supposed to measure the remaining thread. The wear bars could be 3/32" thick...

I'm surprised at the multitude of states where this tire apparently wouldn't pass inspection. I wonder on what basis would or could they fail the tire? There is clearly more than 2/32" of tread depth remaining, which is legal in all states that I'm aware of. Safe? Not necessarily...but legal? Yes.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Interesting. I always thought wear bars made noise and vibrated ... what is the purpose of them?

Wear bars are visual indicators only. They are marked on the shoulder of the tire with a small symbol, so a technician can quickly locate them. Michelin, for example, uses small Michelin men to indicate where the wear bars are. Others may use small arrows or triangles. Some may also say "TWI", for Tread Wear Indicator".

Tire2.2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
You can't because when the tyres are worn to the wear bars you're supposed to measure the remaining thread. The wear bars could be 3/32" thick...

In the US, the wear bars are mandated to be at 2/32nds tread depth remaining and only 2/32nds. There can be additional wear indicators at another depth, but there must be a set at 2/32nds.

I am not aware of any country that mandates anything different.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm surprised at the multitude of states where this tire apparently wouldn't pass inspection. I wonder on what basis would or could they fail the tire? There is clearly more than 2/32" of tread depth remaining, which is legal in all states that I'm aware of. Safe? Not necessarily...but legal? Yes.

Ah ....... Mmmmmmmm ..... No!

The regulations regarding tread depth vary widely from state to state. Some don't have any regulation at all, and some require 4/32nds minimum.

Basis for the 4/32nds? Wet and snow traction decrease as a tire wears, and 4/32nds has become an industry standard for wet traction removal.

Last edited:
The tires are shot. Traction on any tire is greatly reduced when the tread depth gets down to 50 percent (5/32). The wearbars are a joke.

Last edited:
The regulations regarding tread depth vary widely from state to state. Some don't have any regulation at all, and some require 4/32nds minimum.

That's interesting! I've never known of a state that will fail a tire at "better" than 2/32" of tread.

Basis for the 4/32nds? Wet and snow traction decrease as a tire wears, and 4/32nds has become an industry standard for wet traction removal.

I agree here. Like I said in my post, legal and safe aren't the same. But it's good to know that some states make folks pull tires before 2/32". In NC? 2/32" is the legal limit, but looking at many cars in the parking lot, as long as you're not showing cords, you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back