This site can't be reached message

What does "The connection was reset." mean?
A TCP RST (reset) is a way some devices politely kill a socket. Some firewalls and proxies do this instead of just dropping all packets on that socket, which is a bit rude. You could take a trace with Wireshark and see which device is issuing the RST.

Could you list some concrete examples and which vpn?
The opera vpn isnt blocked by Chase, huntington, usbank, discover, state farm, citi, capitol one, hyatt, IHG, bitog, subaruforester.org or any other site I frequent.
it is slow as heck though.
Opera's "VPN" behaves much more like a simple proxy than true VPN; and because it obfuscates less than a true VPN it does not tend to trigger whatever "anti-VPN" measures that sites might put in place.

Opera's "VPN" behaves much more like a simple proxy than true VPN; and because it obfuscates less than a true VPN it does not tend to trigger whatever "anti-VPN" measures that sites might put in place.
right I suggested it as an easy troubleshooting step
got this reply to it
This can (and will) backfire.
I have been using a VPN through my router for several years. There are some websites (quite a few actually) that reject VPN connections, .gov websites are notorious for this. If I turn-off the VPN I can get through.
so I wanted specifics because mine failed yet besides being slow.

A full vpn can have shared IPs and sometimes those get blacklisted among other issues.
If they arent just blacklisted for being known VPN IP addresses.

The opera vpn isnt blocked by Chase, huntington, usbank, discover, state farm, citi, capitol one, hyatt, IHG, bitog, subaruforester.org or any other site I frequent.
OT: The "main page" of content rich sites such as local and national news maybe not be blocked but i have found (using VPN) that the service hosting the audio and video clips will not stream content on my iPhone unless ProtonVPN is turned off. Many sites (perhaps not the ones you mentioned) are a conglomeration of services provided by many providers and each has a distinct policy WRT serving content to VPN address spaces.

Providers such as Amazon and MS Azure have world wide visibility into active threats and may be responding by blocking in real time to specific "events"

I haven't kept track of which specific websites had been rejecting my VPN connections, when I run across the problem I simply disconnect from the VPN if I really want or need to get in. Two categories seem to be more prevalent, video streaming services and .gov websites, although I don't seem to be running across the problem as often as I used to. For example, Amazon Prime Video was rejecting my VPN connection, they aren't anymore.
I have recently been using Surfshark and I was using IPVanish before it.

Back