This may shock a few people but my Fiat 500 has been my most reliable DD….

My Nissan Altima’s(2004 & 2015) have been the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned. And they shouldn’t be especially with the Honda’s & Toyota/Lexus’ we’ve owned.

Our 2018 VW Tiguan with 98k has not needed a trip to dealer for anything besides maintenance. I can’t say that for precious Honda and Subaru all needing a few warranty repairs.

most reliable car that i have owned are Hilux 2.5 D4D and the Civic with the R18 engine. Sold my Fiat ducato since they cant handel -20C. Fiat dont know what winter is. Total pos in artic climate.
And you cant even install Webasto since it will throw a check engine light every time you use the heater.
On the other hand my Rav4 is ok.

I've got a driveway and garage full of them....2004 to 2021. All have been great. I never thought I'd have a driveway full of Chrysler products when I was growing up. Never dreamed it.
I was a Mopar fan and owner in the old days when Chrysler was Chrysler...This included 1968 Dodge Charger....1973 Plymouth Road Runner...1973 Dodge Colt...1980 Chrylser Cordoba...1987 Chryler Le Baron coupe turbo...1989 Plymouth Acclaim turbo...1999 Dodge Grand Caravan and the last was a 2004 PT Cruiser turbo....

I know those with Chrysler products that have been TOYOTA reliable. I mean, they've owned them >15 years and >250K miles without too many issues if any real problems. Same with Chevy, Ford and their other vehicles. Whereas I have had 3 Japanese made popular cars that showed to be at the top of their game in terms of scoring in segment and reliability. And they left something to be desired for reliability and/or quirkiness which made me think that the automotive press was FOS.

I don't think so. We've got the 2.4 Multi-Air. It uses a little oil, but supposedly there's a TSB for a PCM flash that corrects it by adjusting something to do with idle.

I know of a guy in the UK with a Renegade with the little turbo and he's got over 300k miles on it and says he's had no issues, either. That might be the engine in the Abarth?
I stand corrected 👍

I agree about the automotive press. I still remember Motor Trend Chevy Vega car off the year. It was tested at the GM proving ground in Phoenix and during the summer when they did their highway testing, it overheated every time.

I know those with Chrysler products that have been TOYOTA reliable. I mean, they've owned them >15 years and >250K miles without too many issues if any real problems. Same with Chevy, Ford and their other vehicles. Whereas I have had 3 Japanese made popular cars that showed to be at the top of their game in terms of scoring in segment and reliability. And they left something to be desired for reliability and/or quirkiness which made me think that the automotive press was FOS.
But I think you will find more people in just the opposite of what you said....

I was a Mopar fan and owner in the old days when Chrysler was Chrysler...This included 1968 Dodge Charger....1973 Plymouth Road Runner...1973 Dodge Colt...1980 Chrylser Cordoba...1987 Chryler Le Baron coupe turbo...1989 Plymouth Acclaim turbo...1999 Dodge Grand Caravan and the last was a 2004 PT Cruiser turbo....
Funny, we had an old neighbor who was just a great guy and a WWII vet. He worked for the Chrysler engine block foundry in Indianapolis. He ALWAYS drove Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge cars. My Dad was a GM engineer, so we didn't have a great view of Chrysler products growing up, to say the least. (Or Ford, for that matter, Lol!). Anyway, when I was a teenager and our neighbor had a K-car, I went over and asked him about his cars. That K-car at the time had about 200k on it. I think it had the corporate 2.2 4 cylinder engine. He said he never had any trouble with any of his cars. That K-car (I think it was a Reliant) had just ticked over 200k miles! He swore by them. Of course he and my Dad and all the old guys around the neighborhood knew how to maintain their cars. The folks who had trouble with them (any make) were the ones who didn't take good care of them.

Anyway, the entire neighborhood worked for GM, so when I told my friends about that car they couldn't believe it had that kind of mileage. It still looked new, too. Inside and out.

What I've found from a half century on the planet and from growing up in a town where everyone's dad was a mechanical engineer (mostly for GM), is that the folks who maintained their cars well very rarely had trouble with them and they lasted a long, long time. Those who didn't weren't so fortunate. It didn't matter what name brand was on them.

In the 70's and early 80's the Hondas Toyotas in the neighborhood were all reliable but they rusted out. The only GM car we had that rusted out early was a 76 Vega wagon. We had the much dreaded GM X-car. It was an early production 1980 Pontiac Phoenix. We never had an issue with it. It had the 2.5 Iron Duke in it and that thing was like a tractor engine. You couldn't kill it. We sold it to a friend who ran it out to over 300k miles. He junked it because it was about 15 years old and the floor boards rusted out of it. But that engine was still running. It was a rare one with a 4 speed manual transmission. The gearing was TALL in 4th gear. That car got 40mpg on the highway. My Dad used to brag and brag about that! LOL!

I also remember that we talked him into a sun roof when he ordered it. He said, "They leak." But he did it anyway because my Mom liked the idea. Well, in about 4 years, it leaked. No biggie. We just put a new seal on it. But he never let us forget it and reminded us every time one of us bought a car with a sun roof. LOL!

I almost bought an Fiat Abarth in 2013 before I bought the WRX.

Just too small! I don't like huge vehicles, don't get me wrong. But tiny is tiny!

Still I don't hate the new Fiat. Hey, I'm part Italian!

PS I really don't think the new Fiat can be strictly compared to the old POS Fiats. Just my $.03US

Last edited:
FIAT always has very nice cars at the Detroit Auto Show:

img_1065-jpg.82515

img_0018-jpg.82516

I'm under the impression you're actually not talking about cars. :devilish:

I've heard reports about these cars that go both ways. More so than a lot of other cars. Some people have had Toyota like reliability others have had dumpster fire cars.

One thing I've seen is that these cars seem to rust really fast underneath. Do you live in an area with road salt? What's your experience?
One of my very first cars that I drove as a teenager in 1975/1976 was a 1969 Fiat 850 Spider convertible that was a hand me down from my folks who bought it new. This car leaked so badly from the roof and doors, I had to keep a coffee can in there so I could bail out the standing water in the foot wells after a rain storm. By the time it was about 8 years old, the floors were so rotted out, I literally had to wedge a length of 1" x 4" under the seat rails to keep the seat from dropping through the floor. Sure do miss that car:)

Well of course. Statistically (world wide) you are absolutely correct. There’s no argument here! (y)
Funny thing…When I ask mechanics/technicians around my neck of the woods(regardless of where/what brand they work on) most seem to favor Honda as the more/most reliable brand.:unsure: However, statistics say differently.

For myself, owning many GM(Buick, Chevy, Pontiac) Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Toyota/Lexus, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, I certainly have my favorites to own and separately, my favorites to drive.

Last edited:
Our 2018 VW Tiguan with 98k has not needed a trip to dealer for anything besides maintenance. I can’t say that for precious Honda and Subaru all needing a few warranty repairs.
My 2019 GTI has been to the dealer 11 times in less than 5,000 miles. They still haven’t repaired my proximity key (6 times) or my radio (2 times). If it was as reliable as your Tiguan I would still be a VW fan. But this is my 5th and last VW.

The only real common thing I see other than trim/small crap is alternators, and the odd starter....and yes few wheel brgs, but no more than other stuff

Back