This is unacceptable.

As I said earlier sick time is for when you're sick (it provides an income source when you can't work). Sure there are bouts of flu (a couple of days in bed and a couple more so you don't give it to everyone else). But there is also emergency surgery, sports or driving related injuries, heart attacks and cancer treatments. That's when you need your sick time. And that's what it's for.

Right now my company is having a hard time finding help, I figure I can do what ever I want and get away with it.

On a serious note I get 15 days a year vacation and no sick time/leave, so I have to use my vacation days for sick days, see my comment above.
Well, its probably true in the short term, maybe not the best long term career strategy though...
I did find during my work from home covid time that I used less sick days as I was less sick, and also I didn't mind doing my work at home as a sniffley mess in my pajamas, where I would've called in sick normally. I used to hate hearing my "very dedicated" fellow employees neighbors cough and sneeze for a few days at work when they should've stayed home.

Possible, but he started off by saying a lot of glowing things about her. I had the impression he had a lot of respect for her and genuinely liked her. The problem absences were something I pried out of him at the end of a long discussion. You get quite good at that if you do a lot of telephone reference checks.

Someone did that to me once. One of my less good staff had left for another city. I was asked to provide a reference, which always involves a telephone discussion. I had given a lot of thought to my answers. (I had the questions in advance). I was determined to answer the questions honestly but also not provide a basis for future trouble. I answered each question by providing specific examples. At the end of the interview the interviewer threw in an apparently innocent, but real zinger of a question. "Would I hire her back to her former position if she moved back." How would you have answered that question?
"Would I hire her back to her former position if she moved back" is the only real question in the bunch.

These days with the defamation lawsuits flying around, we are told if we were to provide references we are only allowed to answer this, otherwise the other answers may be there as a basis for defamation lawsuits. This is a policy, not a choice, to provide professional reference.

Most of the people I worked with were honest with their sick days. The ones who weren't honest were known to the rest of us, and were not respected by the staff or management. Not a great way for them to get ahead in their career(s).

I"m very near the end so there is no long term for me, in fact I"m down to months 🍻

I also enjoyed working from home during covid and would do it again in a heart beat.
Alright, congratulations then!
Some of the recent retirees at my workplace do get hired back for some plump short term contracts, but they already know if they are going to get those, and no one cares where they do their work, or sick days, hours, or attendance mumbo jumbo, just as long its done when it needs to be done.

"Would I hire her back to her former position if she moved back" is the only real question in the bunch.

These days with the defamation lawsuits flying around, we are told if we were to provide references we are only allowed to answer this, otherwise the other answers may be there as a basis for defamation lawsuits. This is a policy, not a choice, to provide professional reference.
That's exactly why I answered the questions as I did by citing specific examples, and not offering opinions. You don't defame someone by describing as objectively as possible what happened in specific situations.

One of the things I don't respect is giving "a good reference" to get rid of an under-performing or problematic employee.

That's exactly why I answered the questions as I did by citing specific examples, and not offering opinions. You don't defame someone by describing as objectively as possible what happened in specific situations.

One of the things I don't respect is giving "a good reference" to get rid of an under-performing or problematic employee.
I think it depends on how much they want to spend on the lawyers even if you describe specific examples, I know a lot of times people sue for wrongful termination when they leave a company because the management was making room for others more qualified, and they would just sue to get more money and settle in the end as usual.

Still company policy these days is always asking and answering only "will you hire this person back" "yes / no" "thank you" to avoid the hot water situation on both sides.

The real reference these days are industrial reputation. Many people don't even take candidates resumes from the recruiters if they know someone who know this person and think the person had a bad reputation. It is all backroom, so yeah, don't burn bridges no matter how pissed you are is also the only right way to deal with work place these days.

I take off at Noon most Fridays. I have so much leave on the books my Company encourages it. They just had to pay out one of my coworkers over $9k in accumulated vacation time.

Reactions: JC1
I take off at Noon most Fridays. I have so much leave on the books my Company encourages it. They just had to pay out one of my coworkers over $9k in accumulated vacation time.
Use it or lose it here. You can carry over two days but if you have more say bye bye. I never have that issue, my vacation days start over on March 1st of every year, right now I think I have two or three days left.

As I said earlier sick time is for when you're sick (it provides an income source when you can't work). Sure there are bouts of flu (a couple of days in bed and a couple more so you don't give it to everyone else). But there is also emergency surgery, sports or driving related injuries, heart attacks and cancer treatments. That's when you need your sick time. And that's what it's for.

Absolutely agree, when you're sick enough you can't work without harming your health more, or you are contageous there should be some income protection, to make it possible to stay home. Doesn't have to be 100% of your normal pay, so you might be inclined to come back when you can.

Possible, but he started off by saying a lot of glowing things about her. I had the impression he had a lot of respect for her and genuinely liked her. The problem absences were something I pried out of him at the end of a long discussion. You get quite good at that if you do a lot of telephone reference checks.

Someone did that to me once. One of my less good staff had left for another city. I was asked to provide a reference, which always involves a telephone discussion. I had given a lot of thought to my answers. (I had the questions in advance). I was determined to answer the questions honestly but also not provide a basis for future trouble. I answered each question by providing specific examples. At the end of the interview the interviewer threw in an apparently innocent, but real zinger of a question. "Would I hire her back to her former position if she moved back." How would you have answered that question?

Why didn't you ask her about it? Maybe it was only 1 or 2 days of absence, or none at all. After all, you take the word of someone who has incentive for stopping you hiring her away (but you won't talk to ever again) over someone who could become a big part of your life.

I would say "it depends how the replacement is performing".

Why didn't you ask her about it? Maybe it was only 1 or 2 days of absence, or none at all. After all, you take the word of someone who has incentive for stopping you hiring her away (but you won't talk to ever again) over someone who could become a big part of your life.
I eventually discussed the specifics with her manager. Data doesn't lie. Unfortunately her absenteeism had become a regular thing.

The rest of my staff had become aware that casual absenteeism was not acceptable. To have an executive assistant with an absenteeism problem would have undermined years of work. I couldn't take the chance.

I preferred not to discuss it with her because doing so would have damaged whatever relationship she still had with her manager. She never knew why she wasn't hired.

I eventually discussed the specifics with her manager. Data doesn't lie. Unfortunately her absenteeism had become a regular thing.

The rest of my staff had become aware that casual absenteeism was not acceptable. To have an executive assistant with an absenteeism problem would have undermined years of work. I couldn't take the chance.

I preferred not to discuss it with her because doing so would have damaged whatever relationship she still had with her manager. She never knew why she wasn't hired.
There is no way if you can tell if her boss was lying or not either. This is typically the reason why most only expect you to provide a reference of a previous job instead of your existing job for employment reference (apartment rental is a different subject), you do not want people to be your reference if the incentive is for you to not get hired.

Basically, reference is pretty useless these days due to these limitation and the only way to tell is what have you done and what is your reputation. Many desirable companies would intentionally slightly down leveled when they aren't sure (with a still very good pay) so that in the worst case you are not up to the level they can always just pay you what they think you are worth in the worst case, and promote you if they think you actually outperform.

I like split sick and annual leave...why penalize an employee for getting sick by making them use vacation time? If it's being abused that's the manager's job to pick up on. I'm able to (and do) use sick time for appointments for me and/or my son, as my sick time includes dependent leave. I hardly ever get sick...kind of feel sometimes like I hope to get sick to enjoy some paid couch time lol.

I literally have 46 days of sick leave right now...only can get paid out 10% of my sick balance if I leave my job and only if I've been employed at least 10 years.

No sick days where I work...only (Paid Time Off) PTO. You earn your allotment throughout the year, and take it as you so wish. Great way to keep sick folks in the office IMHO.

I saved my sick leave as much as possible. When I retired it added 13 months to my service years.
I worked for the federal government at one point in my career. When I left for a better job they kept paying me for several months. Turns out they were paying out my accumulated sick leave. And you're right, that also added time to my pension.

My company had an interesting policy w.r.t. sick time.

For the first approximately 2-1/2 years of service, we accumulated sick time at the rate of 1/2 day per 2-week pay period. If one took no sick time, that came out to approximately 33 days of sick leave earned over the first 2-1/2 years.

Thereafter, the rate doubled, to 1 day per pay period. After approximately 8-1/2 more years, one hit the maximum of 246 sick days.

If or when one took sick time, it came off what one had accumulated.

But, here was the big carrot - after one had earned 246 days, there was something called a Sick-Leave Vesting Bank. You could never accumulated more than the 246 sick days, but thereafter you banked 1/4 day in the the SLVB. So, that worked out to just over 6-1/4 days per year if one took no sick time. That adds up.

If you took sick time after accumulating the 246 days, that time was taken off the 246, and had to be earned back before the vesting resumed.

I was fortunate to be pretty healthy through my career - when I retired, the company paid out close to $50K for my sick-leave vesting along with the severance package.

In the early years, there was no family leave. I did use a fair bit of vacation time for that. I saw it abused a lot, with people taking sick leave when they weren't sick.

Later on, one was allowed to take family leave, which counted against accumulated sick leave.

No sick days where I work...only (Paid Time Off) PTO. You earn your allotment throughout the year, and take it as you so wish. Great way to keep sick folks in the office IMHO.
Yeah, and sick folks coming to work is a great way for them to “share” their germs with everyone else.

Ugh. No thanks.

If a pilot is coughing and sniffling, I don’t want to sit right next to them for the next several days, I’ll end up getting what they’ve got.

Use the sick leave. Stay home. It’s just unethical to get other people sick because a person wants to save their PTO…

Back