THIS is Texas? 6º F

Haven't seen this here in my lifetime. Nothing to those up north but a total shutdown for us. Tonight is to be 0º F +/-
1613398649993.png

1613398694936.png

1613398725020.png

Do they have snow plowing equipment or do you have to wait until the snow melts for clear roads? Up north we have experience driving on ice and snow and we still have many fender-benders. I can't imagine driving there with the majority not having experience on ice and snow.

Yep, been here all my life too. This is certainly a once in a lifetime experience. Has your power gone out yet? Apparently they are doing rolling blackouts because the electricity demand is exceeding supply. Luckily mine hasn’t gone out yet.

Do they have snow plowing equipment or do you have to wait until the snow melts for clear roads? Up north we have experience driving on ice and snow and we still have many fender-benders. I can't imagine driving there with the majority not having experience on ice and snow.
TXDOT has a few snow plows, but we don’t have enough since this is very unusual weather.

Some cities are using front end loaders to “plow” the snow.

No snow plows here, I don't know if we even have a sand truck! In short, wait till it melts. The 100+ car pileup in Dallas/Fort Worth area plus another 26 car pileup in Austin should answer your driving question.

Yep, been here all my life too. This is certainly a once in a lifetime experience. Has your power gone out yet? Apparently they are doing rolling blackouts because the electricity demand is exceeding supply. Luckily mine hasn’t gone out yet.

Still have power and water....so far. I'm sure my turn is coming for power outage. My old kerosene heater may come into play.

We're expecting ice before midnight down here in Da Swamp. I just got back from the grocery and gas station, and it was starting to rain, with 40 F. Supposedly we will see a low of 24 tomorrow morning.

I parked my car away from trees in case some branches get overloaded with ice and fall. Of course that means the car will be glazed tomorrow. It'll probably rise above freezing in the daytime, then fall on Tuesday night. I'm off today and tomorrow because of Mardi Gras, but there isn't any place to go anyway. The imbeciles here can't drive in the dry let alone the wet, or in ice or snow, so I'm glad to stay home.

Anybody in Texas with that cold of temps should watch out for:

1) Underground Water Pipes freezing & bursting
Solution: Keep an indoor faucet 'slightly' dripping to prevent outside underground pipes from freezing.

2) Plants around the house freezing & dying
Solution: Add several inches of mulch
Too late now. It won't go above freezing in my town until Saturday.

My wife has two sisters in Texas. One in Austin and one in San Antonio. and both have no power. Ice is covering everything, and neither have generators or fireplaces. The current temp is 10f. San Antonio is doing the rolling blackout thing, don't know what Austin plans are. The best we could tell them is to get a pot of water boiling on the stove, and turn the oven on if they can get it to light. They can light the top burners with matches , because it's most likely has electronic ignition. The stove might not be able to fire up if that's the case.,,

No snow plows here, I don't know if we even have a sand truck! In short, wait till it melts. The 100+ car pileup in Dallas/Fort Worth area plus another 26 car pileup in Austin should answer your driving question.

Still have power and water....so far. I'm sure my turn is coming for power outage. My old kerosene heater may come into play.
TXDOT has a few snow plows, mainly for interstate thoroughfare. TXDOT also has sand trucks. TXDOT only used a sand/salt mixture up until 10-15 years ago. The sand trucks are still in use.

TXDOT has a few snow plows, mainly for interstate thoroughfare. TXDOT also has sand trucks. TXDOT only used a sand/salt mixture up until 10-15 years ago. The sand trucks are still in use.
True but the streets here have been snowbound or frozen over for a week. No help from TXDOT. The main street in town is impassable.

When I lived in Houston, the ladies would throw bedsheets on top the bushes when it go near freezing. It does actually help a bit because it cut heat loss by radiation to the sky as well as lowering heat loss by convection. Didn’t do much for conduction. Throw on a toga and take a walk in the weather. ;)

My wife has two sisters in Texas. One in Austin and one in San Antonio. and both have no power. Ice is covering everything, and neither have generators or fireplaces. The current temp is 10f. San Antonio is doing the rolling blackout thing, don't know what Austin plans are. The best we could tell them is to get a pot of water boiling on the stove, and turn the oven on if they can get it to light. They can light the top burners with matches , because it's most likely has electronic ignition. The stove might not be able to fire up if that's the case.,,
My son is in San Antonio and lost power 2am to 6 am … I had given them oak for fireplace but afraid some of that went outside … (I too have an outside fire pit, but gas fireplace) … They are all electric
We lost power (60 miles from Houston) shortly after the ice started to form … 3 bucket trucks had us back in 2 hours … Ran my generator an half hour since wife was cooking the refrigerator with gas heat LoL
16F now with a couple inches of snow … going colder tonight but on days off anyway 😷

Pretty much looks like where I'm at just north of the DFW Airport. We'll be moving in a few weeks up to NE Oklahoma and apparently we've got about a foot of snow at the new place. I was going to make the trip up there this past weekend, since they were forecasting the snow to arrive late on Sunday, well after I figured to be back. I changed my mind at the last second and sure glad I did, as I woke up to snow on Sunday morning.

When I lived in Houston, the ladies would throw bedsheets on top the bushes when it go near freezing. It does actually help a bit because it cut heat loss by radiation to the sky as well as lowering heat loss by convection. Didn’t do much for conduction. Throw on a toga and take a walk in the weather. ;)
Does stop frost bite on the leaves on a typical night right at freezing for a short period
We have done blankets under plastic … lots of work … doubt we will bat .300 but it was good exercise for wife, daughter, and me …

Back