This forum badly needs to move to a modern platform/back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I belong to 2 forums using that platform.

BITOG is much easier to navigate.

Also, it is full of SPAM.
15.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
I disagree. I belong to forums using that platform.

+1

I did some digging, it's called xenforo.

Here's the issue with this site. You ask a question a month ago in a certain thread, and a few weeks later someone replies to that question and you have no idea if it was replied to without manually going back to that thread and checking. Notifications are terrible here. It's time consuming having to look over all your threads just to see if someone mentioned you or replied directly.

Originally Posted by Brian123
Originally Posted by user52165
I disagree. I belong to forums using that platform.

+1

+ another

Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Here's the issue with this site. You ask a question a month ago in a certain thread, and a few weeks later someone replies to that question and you have no idea if it was replied to without manually going back to that thread and checking. Notifications are terrible here. It's time consuming having to look over all your threads just to see if someone mentioned you or replied directly.

I totally agree with you on this.

Originally Posted by anderson
i disagree , the simplicity and ease of use with the current design is far superior

This.

I have never had a problem. As long as you are hitting the button to follow the thread, I get them as soon as there is a reply. I have had 20+ notifications in a day from one thread.

Last edited:

Clicking the "bookmark" icon at the top of the thread ensures you see every subsequent post in your email. The only difference is that the default is NOT subscribed. Which I tend to like..

+1 for the current, uncluttered, spam-free design!

Just judging by modern features most notably thread and reply notifications, mentions, etc.

I'm not sure what this platform is called but I see a ton of auto forum sites moving to it.

It won't happen. I've mentioned it, others have mentioned it, it gets shot down....

One absolute roadblock, at least when I looked into it in the past year, is that this forum software is so uncommon that none of the common forum software packages appear to offer a migrate tool.

I've seen one of my fave (aside from BITOG) auto sites practically destroyed by updating to these fancy new platforms.
Now, when you post something/navigate to different threads, the site lags far more than it did before.
Many of us "old timers" said we preferred the current (old) design, as it was easy to navigate, search etc.
All in the name of keeping up with the "other sites" as though they are doing something vastly superior to what currently exists.

As a result, many have stopped using it and the associated FaceBook page has had an increase in activity.

Take a look at Craigslist.
There's a site that hasn't changed it's layout/design since inception.
We don't see/hear anyone complaining that they need to be like other classified sites...so why should BITOG?
21.gif

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I have never had a problem. As long as you are hitting the button to follow the thread, I get them as soon as there is a reply. I have had 20+ notifications in a day from one thread.

Where's the option to automatically "follow" a thread once you post in it ? Just to be clear, the option to choose, not an all or nothing thing. Some people will complain that they're automatically subscribed.... Isn't one that I'm aware. Then, to get to the followed threads to see if any have been updated, you click your username (1), then followed list (2), then followed threads (3).

And more and more people are buying record players and music on vinyl these days. It wasn't broke ...and they fixed it ...and people are figuring that out. Some other forums iam on they went to the new wizbang format. the active threads seem harder to get to now and the front end looks like a spamboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back