This "EV Thing" isn't going away.....

just like the nuclear power plant that politicians told us a generation ago we NEEDED here on Long Island...the cost of that, is never going away. We have been paying for Shoreham, since 1984 and it hasn't generated one watt of power for us. Thanks for nothing, politicians.
Learn, educate yourselves, beware politicians pushing agendas. The science isn't there, not by a country mile.
ohhhh... I remember that soooooo well ... 5 billion dollars building a power plant, right down to low power testing, politicians pulled the plug, literally ... cost to Long Islanders 5 billion dollars, take over of LILCO of which none was their fault but it was spun that way (of course)
Cool seeing this stuff in here... born, raised, and spent most of my adult life there... glad I got out!

Whats your source(s) on that?

Always open to explore this topic.

The last poster to make this claim posted zero data to back it up.
sure, there's lots more. Here is just a sample.

the Chinese won't care about coal fired plant pollution,

1668115262394.jpg

View attachment 125503

None of these articles actually offer a comparison between the two vehicles, or that a choice of an EV is of negative benefit.

Do you have anything that actually compares the two over the entire life of the vehicle?

This has examples that places like Argonne national laboratory put together.

Last edited:
That was the early prediction, but Tesla has proven that incorrect.

There hasn't been any tax credits available nor any incentives on the model 3 and Y for years now and they are the best selling Ev's made.
I’m not gonna argue there’s not a market in big cities and metro areas, there is; if one does all of their driving within say a 30-50 mile radius they may make sense.

But the false premises that they’re better for the environment, or safer, or more “carbon neutral” is pure baloney. I don’t care if EVs are for sale, who cares… but don’t try to force them on the entire population as the only allowable option when the data is clear that it’s a limited alternative at best, with a very very small (~2-4% maybe?) target demographic in a sane world.

When I said incentives it’s the whole picture… there’s still solar and other incentives that would play into the “green” delusion and support EV purchases. That’s all. ✌️

I’m not gonna argue there’s not a market in big cities and metro areas, there is; if one does all of their driving within say a 30-50 mile radius they may make sense.

But the false premises that they’re better for the environment, or safer, or more “carbon neutral” is pure baloney. I don’t care if EVs are for sale, who cares… but don’t try to force them on the entire population as the only allowable option when the data is clear that it’s a limited alternative at best, with a very very small (~2-4% maybe?) target demographic in a sane world.

When I said incentives it’s the whole picture… there’s still solar and other incentives that would play into the “green” delusion and support EV purchases. That’s all. ✌️

I dont think anyone is arguing they make sense for everyone in every situation (especially trucks) at least Im not.

I dislike being forced to do anything, completely agree - but i haven't been yet.

The data I can find shows that between the two the EV is friendlier, and Im open to looking at other data, but no one has shown it.
Engineering explained a well trusted source her at bitog came to the conclusion the EV is less emissive cradle to grave.

On solar, sure if you have solar and an electric you could see a big benny, but few indeed have that.

View attachment 125503
Not many people think beyond what their Tv tells them to think. Pollution over the Hill or across the oceans does not exist because, 1) out of sight out of mind.
2) Their Tv hasn't told them to think that.
One of the management people at work told me that and It seems to be the truth.

Do evs have any hydraulics? Like the steering or brake systems? Or is every single moving part done via electric motor and/or actuator? I'm also guessing there's no liquid cooling involved either?

Last edited:
The Honda dealership near me has rows upon rows of Teslas in their used trade-in lot. The same ones have been sitting there forever it seems. They also have a few Mach-Es, and some Ioniqs.
This is exactly why my friends avoid taking them, fear of what you saw. They'll offer stupid low money for them on trade, or tell the customer "sir in all honestly you'll do a lot better selling it privately." My buddy Bill took a Tesla on trade and ended up sending it to auction after the GM of the dealership questioned him on why the car was on the lot for so long. He lost money sending it to auction to free up space and cash.

This is exactly why my friends avoid taking them, fear of what you saw. They'll offer stupid low money for them on trade, or tell the customer "sir in all honestly you'll do a lot better selling it privately." My buddy Bill took a Tesla on trade and ended up sending it to auction after the GM of the dealership questioned him on why the car was on the lot for so long. He lost money sending it to auction to free up space and cash.
(y) Yep exactly!

Nor is the pollution caused by gasoline vehicle.

Im unsure every example of Nuclear power plant can or should be lumped into the shoreham example. The canadians seems to do quite well with it.

I could use the San Onofre fiasco as a local example of Nuclear issues, but likewise it isn't fair to paint an entire industry with one brush.
That is correct, the problem with Shoreham is that they built it knowing full well that there was no way to evacuate Long Island given the available road network. Just like the Japanese built the Fukushima plant on a well known fault line not that much above sea level. There are places you can built nuclear plants and places you should not. Long Island is a should not place. However, wind and water power would do well here. A Russian nuclear scientist who worked at Chernobyl and was involved in the clean up wrote an interesting book on the problems with the Soviet nuclear industry, his point was that we have to have nuclear energy but plants should be built underground. For him to say that, shows you the risk involved in that industry.
If they had opened Shoreham, my plan would have been, pack everything we could into our boat, and get across LI Sound to Connecticut as fast as possible! Seriously that's what I would have done. Over time I'd have bought a bigger more seaworthy craft to be able to make the crossing even in bad weather or rough sea conditions.

For sure, those that tow big and far, aren't going to be going pure electric real soon.
But I think the toyota planetary gear hybrid scales up to big torque and hp, like 40,000lb 500hp field tractor size(they run the hydraulic motors instead of electric to vary the gear ratio).
But like the manual transmission, geared automatics, simple large NA engines, simple capable cars for that matter, the majority of new car buyers don't care about those features, and they won't care about fuel source either unless its a dedicated road tripping vehicle, or used for towing...
I think there will be a place for liquid fuel/electric hybrids for a long time, but for most 2+car families, atleast one could be an electric today without a problem for 99% of the time.
I was just in Vancouver BC a couple weeks ago, and a Model3 was probably the most popular newer vehicle, period...
No kidding that Tesla model 3's are the most popular vehicle in Vancouver. I live here, I see 'em everywhere.

Everyone I personally know who owns an EV also stills owns an ICE vehicle(s). We are a long, long way away before EV technology reaches the same level of convenience and practicality of ICE vehicles. If it even happens at all.
If Elon's investment strategies are any indicator, maybe the great Tesla EV is already losing momentum...
Tesla sinks on Elon Musk stock sale
🤷‍♂️

Once they satisfy the desires of all of those who *want* one.... then it will be a true uphill battle.

Jalopnik is far from being a neutral and unbiased source.
There is a writer on Jalopnik who doesn't even like vehicles, not sure why he got hired. He always complains how the USA doesn't have tons of high-speed rail, and how alot of places don't have everything you need within walking distance.

Back