This "EV Thing" isn't going away.....

There is a writer on Jalopnik who doesn't even like vehicles, not sure why he got hired. He always complains how the USA doesn't have tons of high-speed rail, and how alot of places don't have everything you need within walking distance.
May be true. But the numbers of sales are what the numbers are.....

Musk has and continues to paint Teslas with a stench. He's turning buyers off with his antics....
I'm wondering how actually "ready" the semi is. According to the Musketeer they were a year away in August, then magically they are ready for production. The ceo of PepsiCo must have stock in Tesla as they are the only company with the hyper ultra mega charger installed. I've said it once and I'll say it again Musk started Tesla but i forsee him really taking it down unless the board if directors don't step in.

Musk has and continues to paint Teslas with a stench. He's turning buyers off with his antics....
No only that but the main stream offerings are starting to become available. The car dealership locations (good or bad) are entrenched in the communities they serve. Tesla simply isn't.

No only that but the main stream offerings are starting to become available. The car dealership locations (good or bad) are entrenched in the communities they serve. Tesla simply isn't.

Current offerings are getting stale, I don't see any new product in the pipeline. Everyone else has an electric truck out, I see a ton of Rivians here. GM and Ford have an electric truck, still no cybertruck. But hey, he's selling checkmarks for $7.99/mo. Genius!

Not sure what numbers you are looking at; Tesla continues to take marketshare. And money...
I certainly don't understand the twit fiasco...
This is Teslas problem-

They dominate in luxury but the market growth is in the "main stream" market. And the cyber truck will be slugging it out with the Ford and GM EV pickups-if it ever makes it to market.

Current offerings are getting stale, I don't see any new product in the pipeline. Everyone else has an electric truck out, I see a ton of Rivians here. GM and Ford have an electric truck, still no cybertruck. But hey, he's selling checkmarks for $7.99/mo. Genius!
I too see many Rivians in my area.

I'm wondering how actually "ready" the semi is. According to the Musketeer they were a year away in August, then magically they are ready for production. The ceo of PepsiCo must have stock in Tesla as they are the only company with the hyper ultra mega charger installed. I've said it once and I'll say it again Musk started Tesla but i forsee him really taking it down unless the board if directors don't step in.
Musk did not start Tesla, Martin Eberhard did. His premise was, an EV should not be a cheapie whatever; his cars were designed to be better than the competition.

Regarding the long delayed Semi and Cybertruk, remember Tesla has been so busy trying to keep up with demand for the Model 3 and Model Y. They have been building highly advanced manufacturing plants and expanding existing plants. Incorporationg unheard of changes like Giga Presses. And making money hand over fist. More money than Toyota last quarter.

My point is, they have been busy and correctly chose to make money by increasing production over releasing new products. By the way, the Semi has been in test for years. There are plenty of sightings in the north Silicon Valley and other parts of the country. The pilot line is in Nevada. Tesla is tight lipped but testing is supposed to be in the final stage. Pepsi takes delivery if the 1st Semi in December. The mfg line will be in Austin.

Cybertruk hiring in Austin has commenced. Production is currently scheduled for mid to late 2023, but like everything else, this is based on Elon time. Your guess is as good as mine.

Bottom line, Tesla is a great American company. I am proud to see an American company leading the world once again.

Those companies lose money on every EV they sell. Genius?

The EV "thing" isn't going away because it's pushed hard... with mammoth institutional investors behind.

We live in the monetary system, not the "moral and ethical" system. It's a business opportunity for the richest of this world, and they're fully taking advantage of it. It's that simple.

As they're manufactured and used today, EVs are an awful idea. Those who unquestionably buy into EVs are the same people who think that the Internet is free and it's always been there. These people couldn't connect the dots more than they could figure out where sausage comes from.

I'm a naive idealist, yet I firmly believe that once people in the first world get hungry and needy enough, they'll come to their senses. Until then, they will spend everything they earn, then some, and borrow their way into oblivion to buy the latest battery-powered toy on wheels, fueled mainly by coal and natural gas...

And then, there is this problem:

Tesla would too if it wasn't for all the tax credits and carbon credits they sold to other manufacturers.
Sorry, this is simply not true. The tax credit subsidy ran out years ago. Tesla's profit margin per car is nearly 30%. Other companies are free to get carbon credits.
The made more profit than the mighty Toyota did last quarter even though Toyota sold 8 times more vehicles. Ask BMW, MBZ, Audi and the others how Tesla is doing in Europe...

Perhaps you know Musk has been outspoken against tax payer subsidies. And perhaps you know Tesla built and continues to build out its Supercharger network; unlike the other companies.

Sorry, this is simply not true. The tax credit subsidy ran out years ago. Tesla's profit margin per car is nearly 30%. Other companies are free to get carbon credits.
The made more profit than the mighty Toyota did last quarter even though Toyota sold 8 times more vehicles. Ask BMW, MBZ, Audi and the others how Tesla is doing in Europe...

Perhaps you know Musk has been outspoken against tax payer subsidies. And perhaps you know Tesla built and continues to build out its Supercharger network; unlike the other companies.

Tesla raked in $518 million in revenue from sales of regulatory credits in the first quarter of the year, helping the U.S. electric vehicle maker post another quarter of profit.
It’s not just the U.S. that has such a credit scheme. The European Union and China have similar rules.

In China, the regulatory credit requirements for automakers have been steadily increasing since 2019 and will continue to do so. Chinese regulations determine the amount of credit per vehicle based on a number of factors including the range of car.

Tesla will also earn these green credits in China, one of its most important markets — but one where it ran into a slew of negative publicity last month.

Last month, Reuters reported that a joint venture between German automaker Volkswagen and Chinese state-owned manufacturer FAW, agreed to buy credits from Tesla in China.

Look at the date of that article.
Other companies are free to build cars that qualify for carbon credits; they choose not to. Tesla did not institute carbon credit.

Tesla is a very well managed company from a financial standpoint. They have numerous revenue streams besides vehicles. Every large corporation does. But their profits from operations are the industry leader by far. That's the numbers.

Look at the date of that article.
Other companies are free to build cars that qualify for carbon credits; they choose not to. Tesla did not institute carbon credit.

Tesla is a very well managed company from a financial standpoint. They have numerous revenue streams besides vehicles. Every large corporation does. But their profits from operations are the industry leader by far. That's the numbers.

That was from 2021. Is this one recent enough? It's from September and I have lettuce in the refrigerator that's older.

It’s worth noting that Tesla generated about $344 million in automotive regulatory credits revenue during the second quarter of 2022. Zoom out further and we see that Tesla generated $1.46 billion from regulatory credits in 2021.

Last edited:
That is correct, the problem with Shoreham is that they built it knowing full well that there was no way to evacuate Long Island given the available road network. Just like the Japanese built the Fukushima plant on a well known fault line not that much above sea level. There are places you can built nuclear plants and places you should not. Long Island is a should not place. However, wind and water power would do well here. A Russian nuclear scientist who worked at Chernobyl and was involved in the clean up wrote an interesting book on the problems with the Soviet nuclear industry, his point was that we have to have nuclear energy but plants should be built underground. For him to say that, shows you the risk involved in that industry.
If they had opened Shoreham, my plan would have been, pack everything we could into our boat, and get across LI Sound to Connecticut as fast as possible! Seriously that's what I would have done. Over time I'd have bought a bigger more seaworthy craft to be able to make the crossing even in bad weather or rough sea conditions.
Japan is located on and surrounded by faults, that had nothing to do with Fukushima other than being the reason for the tsunami. The incident was the result of the backup generators being at shore level and the sea wall not being high enough.

I don't think the Soviet example says much at all. They built the RBMK without secondary containment to save money. Now consider how much it would cost to build the plant underground. There's nothing stopping plants from being built that way, the fact that nobody does it speaks volumes as to the validity of that statement. What everybody else did, was use secondary containment, and all the RBMK's that operated after Chernobyl were upgraded to have it.

Nor is the pollution caused by gasoline vehicle.

Im unsure every example of Nuclear power plant can or should be lumped into the shoreham example. The canadians seems to do quite well with it.

I could use the San Onofre fiasco as a local example of Nuclear issues, but likewise it isn't fair to paint an entire industry with one brush.
Yes, the sacrifice of SONGS was quite sad with that whole steam generator fiasco. It was killed to appease a certain group.

EVs aren't going away...and neither is the pollution that is caused by lithium mining and battery disposal (can't recyle like lead acid)...just like the nuclear power plant that politicians told us a generation ago we NEEDED here on Long Island...the cost of that, is never going away. We have been paying for Shoreham, since 1984 and it hasn't generated one watt of power for us. Thanks for nothing, politicians.
Learn, educate yourselves, beware politicians pushing agendas. The science isn't there, not by a country mile.
Politicians also helped kill Shoreham and then agreed to it being a surcharge on electricity bills for 30 years in 1989, which means it should have been paid off in 2019?

Had it not been decommissioned, it probably could have been brought into service at a later date (with upgrades) like Watts Bar 2 was in 2016 (original construction started in 1973).

Back