This "EV Thing" isn't going away.....

Let me clear up the issue of used Teslas. One person says they sell like hot cakes in California. Another says they are sitting in used car lots in New York. It’s simple. Tesla’s in California outsell Tesla’s in New York by 10 to 1. This is very much a California phenomenon. Yet the spin doctors keep quoting California numbers and pretend this is nation wide. Also, they quote percentage growth in registration numbers that are higher in other States than they are in California. Well yes, if you had one registration last year, and two this year, it’s 100% growth. Or in the case of Oklahoma, 1700 in one year and 3400 in the next. Meanwhile, California has 563,000 registration as of the end of 2021, so yes, good growth in California, but not the rest of the USA.

Last edited:
Let me clear up the issue of used Teslas. One person says they sell like hot cakes in California. Another says they are sitting in used car lots in New York. It’s simple. Tesla’s in California outsell Tesla’s in New York by 10 to 1. This is very much a California phenomenon. Yet the spin doctors keep quoting California numbers and pretend this is nation wide. Also, they quote percentage growth in registration numbers that are higher in other States than they are in California. Well yes, if you had one registration last year, and two this year, it’s 100% growth. Or in the case of Oklahoma, 1700 in one year and 3400 in the next. Meanwhile, California has 563,000 registration as of the end of 2021, so yes, good growth in California, but not the rest of the USA.
Bingo. I'm on Long Island, they're around here, but not many. As I stated the friends I have in the business are managers, they call them dead money on their lots. Smart business men in sales try and sell what sells, for these guys it is still ICE vehicles. They'll change when the market changes.

Opportunity!
I agree if someone always wanted the stock but didn’t want to pay the price.

Assuming those reasons are still there and fundamentals haven’t changed which I might have to question those fundamentals as the way this is now playing out in the media, at least short term this Twitter fiasco for many is tarnishing the Tesla name among certain people and groups.
Now he has the media and government who would love to take him down.

We may now get to the point that investors shy away from this company at multiples of 60 times earnings which is down from almost 100 times earnings already.

As with any stock it’s even caught my attention as I was so down on the price in the past but sometimes you can catch a falling knife safety, If the current fiasco was the only issue here that would be one thing, it certainly is not helping!
But the first signs of significant competition and general weakness (lack of better word) is starting to show overseas/China and why it is not a stock for me at this point still.
(Not that it means anything!)

Ok time to try to go back to 😴 sleep

If Elon's investment strategies are any indicator, maybe the great Tesla EV is already losing momentum...
Tesla sinks on Elon Musk stock sale
🤷‍♂️
I agree, how can one deny this?
“Momentum”
I’m besides myself the drastic turn of events.
So successful that I wonder if arrogance jaded his judgement?
He is alienating a significant political portion of his base support in the USA Tesla market and making enemies in Washington,

Worldwide I doubt that matters much but what do I know, at this point it would still maybe matter to me if I was investing in Tesla, it’s been knocked down so much it does make me think … but one had to keep in mind the China competition is heating up and that can be another significant issue when filtering out the Twitter static.

Interesting stuff in play!

Last edited:
Twitter may look like a fiasco at the moment. But the last month is just a tiny window in time. There are rumors that Twitter may have to declare bankruptcy within a year. So of course the nattering nabobs of negativism already have their hair on fire and are predicting doom and gloom. But there are several types of bankruptcy. Knowing Elon, if he takes that route it will undoubtedly work to his advantage and ultimately lead to Twitter growing and becoming profitable as it needs to be.

Remember, Elon is usually playing chess while others are playing checkers. I have yet to lose a dime on my TSLA holdings. But I feel sorry for those investors who bought shares in the last few months. If they have the fortitude to hold them they will do OK by the end of next year. Funny how the Cybertruck had entered the "vaporware" category due to the multiple delays and out of the blue it is announced they are hiring specifically for production of that model. Want to bet we see them on the road sooner than later and they sell as fast as they come off the production line ?

Don't count Elon out just yet. He could live to 84 like Thomas Edison and continue to spearhead disruptive innovation for a few more decades.

That was from 2021. Is this one recent enough? It's from September and I have lettuce in the refrigerator that's older.

The Forbes article is exactly what I have been posting. The vast majority of Tesla's revenue comes from vehicle sales and they have other revenue streams. Just like any other major corporation.

Do evs have any hydraulics? Like the steering or brake systems? Or is every single moving part done via electric motor and/or actuator? I'm also guessing there's no liquid cooling involved either?
Battery cooling ?

Of course-mobility trends/regulations (historically) have a way of trending out of California to elsewhere. Not saying this in regards to Tesla-but other brands of EVs. The EV mandate ("zero" pollution vehicles) already has a few other states considering it-or have passed it.

I have zero plans to buy a new car be it electric or fossil fuel powered anytime soon. I simply can't afford one.
New vehicle prices, for any type of vehicle, are insanely high right now...used vehicles aren't much better, if at all...

The Forbes article is exactly what I have been posting. The vast majority of Tesla's revenue comes from vehicle sales and they have other revenue streams. Just like any other major corporation.

Agreed on the revenue, profit comes from selling carbon credits. Government money is the only reason TSLA is profitable.

I would wait until maybe a quarter of the cars on the road (not a quarter of new cars sold!) are EVs before trying to figure out where the trend is going.

Agreed on the revenue, profit comes from selling carbon credits. Government money is the only reason TSLA is profitable.
Uh, maybe read the Forbes article you posted? This is why I asked you to check your dates. Let me quote Forbes' key takeaway:

"Around this time in 2021, many experts wondered if Tesla could still turn a profit solely from automobile sales instead of relying on emission credits. However, an expansion into China led to a $5.51 billion profit on automobile sales while delivering 936,172 cars in 2021, up from 499,550 vehicles in 2020.

Tesla then took profitability to the next level when it announced a $1.19 billion profit in the second quarter of 2021 (with $354 million coming from credit sales). Tesla ended 2021 with a net income of $5.51 billion (a 665% increase from 2020)."

What governemnt money is Tesla getting?

Uh, maybe read the Forbes article you posted? This is why I asked you to check your dates. Let me quote Forbes' key takeaway:

"Around this time in 2021, many experts wondered if Tesla could still turn a profit solely from automobile sales instead of relying on emission credits. However, an expansion into China led to a $5.51 billion profit on automobile sales while delivering 936,172 cars in 2021, up from 499,550 vehicles in 2020.

Tesla then took profitability to the next level when it announced a $1.19 billion profit in the second quarter of 2021 (with $354 million coming from credit sales). Tesla ended 2021 with a net income of $5.51 billion (a 665% increase from 2020)."

What governemnt money is Tesla getting?

These carbon credits they can sell to other manufacturers are fueling a lot of the profits.

These carbon credits they can sell to other manufacturers are fueling a lot of the profits.

Did you read your own post's article? Tesla have numerous revenue streams, but the vast majority of their revenue stems from operations.

Did you read your own post's article? Tesla have numerous revenue streams, but the vast majority of their revenue stems from operations.

I'm not saying the sales of vehicles and ancillary products doesn't generate a ton of revenue, I'm pointing out a lot of the profit the company shows is fueled by these carbon credits.

Back