This 2013 Hyundai Elantra Has Traveled More Than 1 Million Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by gman2304
Yeah, I'm skeptical. Not of the car being capable, but of someone being capable of such a grueling schedule for 5 years.

My first thought as well.....

What does she do, haul newspapers or something?

Average speed is too low when delivering newspaper. Would have to be something longer distance with mostly highway miles!

I agree, something is fishy. What could she deliver in that car and be profitable? Drugs??...

If true, Hyundai should give her a new vehicle (A badge! Really?) and use her's as propaganda! Put the million mile beast in the showroom!

Originally Posted by PimTac
Someone on the east coast may not comprehend how vast this country is west of the Mississippi.

Spot on. Drive 8 hours east of the Miss and you're at the beach. Drive 8 hours and you've not yet even left some of the western states.

I agree that that is an awful lot of miles to rack up - especially for one person - so agree there is another driver involved. The only way an automatic transmission would survive that long would be if it was 95% highway.

I bet she got into extended drains.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It's very possible. My friend is a medical courier here in Dallas. She drives from 5am to sometimes 10pm,6-7 days a week, You wouldn't believe the miles she puts on her vehicles.

I take quite a bit of Ubers and Lyfts when I'm out drinking or somewhere where parking is expensive - I've been in quite a few 2014+ cars with 100K+ on the clock. I think I was in the current 4th generation 2016+ Prius with 61K on the clock a while ago. And I got picked up in an newish RAV4 that was about to hit 50K.

Delivery/Lyft/Uber aren't as severe use cases as taxi/police use. I will say this in the defense of the Prius and why I think it's the new Crown Vic(even though a F-150 SCrew is the spiritual successor to the Panthers), they are incredibly durable for what they are and are decently easy to wrench on. Cabbies and Uber drivers put them through the wringer and they still keep on ticking.

My name is Steven Lang and if you study long-term reliability as frequently as I do, you would have enormous doubts about the million mile claim on this Elantra.

The math has already been done by a lot of you. However the issue also comes down to the powertrain.

The Elantra features the worst of both worlds when it comes to Hyundais and most other late model vehicles. You have a direct injection engine that is already notorious for reliability issues coupled with a transmission that tends to let go sooner rather than later. This is partially due to Hyundai's longer maintenance intervals for the transmission fluid.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Resources/Images/Hyundai/Elantra/DefectRate.png?v=4

Roughly one out of every six Hyundai Elantras in the most current generation are traded in with a powertrain issue such as an engine that needs replacement or a transmission that shifts improperly. The 2013 models have a low vehicle count while the 2011 and 2012 model years are quite high. Barring any unknown improvements in the design of these powertrains the 2013 model year will more than likely fall in line with the prior two years.

Originally Posted by macarose
The Elantra features the worst of both worlds when it comes to Hyundais and most other late model vehicles. You have a direct injection engine that is already notorious for reliability issues coupled with a transmission that tends to let go sooner rather than later. This is partially due to Hyundai's longer maintenance intervals for the transmission fluid.

that shifts improperly. The 2013 models have a low vehicle count while the 2011 and 2012 model years are quite high. Barring any unknown improvements in the design of these powertrains the 2013 model year will more than likely fall in line with the prior two years.

I don't think the 2013 elantras are DI mine is not. The 1.8 theta 2 engines are not DI in 2013

And here I was getting the rolling of eyes for my 535,000km on my Santa Fe when BITOG members on here have seen the vehicle with their own eyes.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by macarose
My name is Steven Lang and if you study long-term reliability as frequently as I do, you would have enormous doubts about the million mile claim on this Elantra.

The math has already been done by a lot of you. However the issue also comes down to the powertrain.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Resources/Images/Hyundai/Elantra/DefectRate.png?v=4

Roughly one out of every six Hyundai Elantras in the most current generation are traded in with a powertrain issue such as an engine that needs replacement or a transmission that shifts improperly. The 2013 models have a low vehicle count while the 2011 and 2012 model years are quite high. Barring any unknown improvements in the design of these powertrains the 2013 model year will more than likely fall in line with the prior two years.

My sister has beaten the crap out of all 3 of hers and made it 200K miles. The current one she has drives around on Dino oil in Dubai's wickedly hot summers.
21.gif

Keep in mind it's an economy somewhat entry level car and people can be brutal on them and of course they would trade it if it starts having problems. I think this might be contributing in large part to the statistic you quoted.

Keep in mind that Hyundai keeps scoring toward the top for quality as of late.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by webfors
Pretty impressive! Where's the info on maintenance schedule, oil, filter, etc... us BITOGERS must know :p

For sure! Pretty thin information in that commercial....and is it an auto(likely) or a stick?

Ya I dont think an automatic would make it.

I'm pretty sure it's an auto. the shot of her dash with the odometer at all 9's, right under that its displaying a big "D".

Everyone here calling it a 5 year old car.

It very well could be 6-1/2. My 2015 was made and sold in the summer of 2014.

1 million miles in 6-1/2 years is 154k miles a year. If she has a dedicated route of all highway and not so much traffic for 6 days a week, that's 493 miles a day. 60 mph average is just over 8 hours. Then there's her off days that she has to drive for too. Very do-able.

I think it's possible but there would be very little days off and all long highway days. If the 2013 Elantra does not have GDI then it's probably possible. It would have to be all highway which means very few shifts which means an automatic could potentially last that long, even a Hyundai. My coworkers 2011 Elantra blew it's transmission at around 90,000kms which is around like 55k miles. But that was mostly stop and go driving. My ex girlfriends 2009 Elantra had a flare between shifts at less than that mileage. So my confidence wasn't high in them. But hopefully the newer 6 speed is better than the 4 speed in those Elantras.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It's very possible. My friend is a medical courier here in Dallas. She drives from 5am to sometimes 10pm,6-7 days a week, You wouldn't believe the miles she puts on her vehicles.

+1

I was about to say the same thing. Clinic where my wife work has a medical courier that makes one trip and back M-F and easily puts in 600 or so miles every day. They have two cars, both a Toyota Corolla and they alternate between just about everyday so they have coverage if one needs maintenance. They get two new ones about every 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back