Thinking of putting in 0W-30 instead of 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 Tacoma 4X4 2.7L I4 calls out 5W-20 motor oil in the owners manual, but the engine seems to run a little noisy and with more vibration. I tried 5W-30 just last month, in the middle of the winter and had a little trouble with cold start up, with too much valve whistling and chattering for the first 15-20 seconds apparently due to the fact that 5W-30 took more time in cold start ups to flow to the valves and cams. I am thinking that 0W-30 would provide even better flow properties in cold start ups compared to 5W-20 and then at operating temperatures would provide better wear protection and higher viscosity would make the engine run quieter and smooter. what do you guys think?

Shouldn't be a problem. My Tribute with the Ford Duratec V6 specs 5w20, but I buy what's on sale and I have a stash of 5W20, 0W20 and 0W30. Ran Valvoline Synpower 5w30 during the summer, car ran great, now 0w20 Mobil 1 during the winter, also runs great.

FWIW, you really shouldn't notice much difference between a 5W20 or 5W30 unless it's way below zero degrees. They both are 5W and I would guess it doesn't get all that cold in Mississippi.
wink.gif

I am running 0w-30 in an 5w-20 engine. ftw- it takes a synth 5w-20 to beat a 0w-30 in cold, a dino does not do it, but is close. I'm also running 5w-20 in a 30 weight engine because it's winter.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I am running 0w-30 in an 5w-20 engine. ftw- it takes a synth 5w-20 to beat a 0w-30 in cold, a dino does not do it, but is close. I'm also running 5w-20 in a 30 weight engine because it's winter.

Still considering trying 5w20 in my Saturn... rated for 5w30.

What temperature constitutes a cold start up in Mississippi?
Unless the start up temp is significantly below freezing (32 deg F), a 0W-30 will be heavier not lighter on start up than a 5W-20.

Even though it is not as cold as Canada down here in Mississippi, believe me it still gets pretty cold around here too, with many days below freezing in early mornings. It is not like rain forest around here as you might think.
But I don't understand your statement about 0W-30 being thicker at cold start up than 5W-20. Since the first number indicates viscosity of the oil when it is cold, wouldn't 0W-30 have lower viscosity than 5W-20 when the oil is cold when you first want to start the car in a cold day?

What viscosity curve are you talking about? are you indicating that at the same temperatures the 0W spec oil will be thicker and flow slower than 5w spec oil?

Learing the 0w- system is essential. Even then, people need to realize that SAE visc is a wide range which oils can fall into. IN-service, oils shear down too. How about M1 0w-40 that is thinner than Syntec 0w-30? That same 0w-30 is thicker than M1 5w-30 at MOST temps. PP 5w-30 is quite thin and is maybe thinner than some other 0w-30s.

This is why we need some good graphing software and graphs produced.

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
What viscosity curve are you talking about? are you indicating that at the same temperatures the 0W spec oil will be thicker and flow slower than 5w spec oil?

Unfortunately, the 0W, 5W is not the viscosity of oil at a "normal" cold starting temp that would be useful to most - it is the ability of the oil to flow at all at extremely low temperatures (-20 to -30 range) without totally congealing.

While this is a useful number for our Northern US and Canadian residents, it is very misleading to most as they do not understand the number (as I did not until a short while back).

So, all 5W's are not created equal - a 5W20 is waaaaayyy thinner at startup than a 5W40 or a 0W30.

I would just a soon have the first number designate the flow at a more realistic 32F/0C kind of temp - that would be a useful designation as the general public totally misunderstands what the xW designation means.

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
Even though it is not as cold as Canada down here in Mississippi, believe me it still gets pretty cold around here too, with many days below freezing in early mornings. It is not like rain forest around here as you might think.
But I don't understand your statement about 0W-30 being thicker at cold start up than 5W-20. Since the first number indicates viscosity of the oil when it is cold, wouldn't 0W-30 have lower viscosity than 5W-20 when the oil is cold when you first want to start the car in a cold day?

I can vouch for him caterham,I was stationed @ Fort Polk,LA.for 4 years.It does get pretty cold down their sometimes(not like where you are in Canada).But when everything is so used to hot temps,that when it does get colder everything really feel`s it.

We used to have some software available that we could plug in the40°c and 100°c temps get a viscosity index and then calculate the oils viscosity curve through all temperatures. I have lost my link to it.

As was mentioned a 5w30 can be thiner at your starting temps than a 0w30. a 5w20 is definately thinner at most starting temps than most 0w30's.

Is the below, that M1 0W-40 is thinner than Castrol 0W-30, meant at all temps and all times, or after in use some time which would allow the M1 to shear down some?

Rumple

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
How about M1 0w-40 that is thinner than Syntec 0w-30?

O.K. Here's what to do. Try PP 5-20. It's a thicker syn than say M1 5-20. It ain't that cold in Mississippi.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
We used to have some software available that we could plug in the40°c and 100°c temps get a viscosity index and then calculate the oils viscosity curve through all temperatures. I have lost my link to it.

As was mentioned a 5w30 can be thiner at your starting temps than a 0w30. a 5w20 is definately thinner at most starting temps than most 0w30's.
I like Widman's - http://www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Viscosidad/Conversiones/Graph/graph.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back