Thinking of getting a larger hard drive for my desktop

What's wrong with bringing over years of garbage when there is twice the space?
Good luck.

Let me guess, actually I think you said you already upgraded the disk to the one you have now.... You had to upgrade because you ran out of space. Fast-forward to now and you're running out of space again. Just keep repeating this cycle and hope that one day that bigger and bigger disk doesn't fail gloriously and everything is gone.

Let me guess, actually I think you said you already upgraded the disk to the one you have now.... You had to upgrade because you ran out of space. Fast-forward to now and you're running out of space again. Just keep repeating this cycle and hope that one day that bigger and bigger disk doesn't fail gloriously and everything is gone.
Umm....SIX years later. And I have keep plenty of backups.

16 GB is plenty for a recent PC but your Windows 7 installation isn't making very good use of it.
I wonder if it's running Windows 7 32-bit. If so, it only sees 4gb. Task Manager seems to indicate it's seeing all 16gb though. The OS will "use" all available / remaining RAM anyway. It doesn't mean it's not available either as it will give it to applications as needed.

It runs 64 bit. Why would it show only 16 GB ram when I installed 32 GB years ago.
IMG_3347.JPG

That's 2x8GB installed unless 2 more were added that's not shown in the pic.

Please get a new computer already. I build a new PC every 3 years with my last one being 10 years and I never knew I was getting massively held back with old hardware and evolving software.

On the other hand, I still have a WinXP machine but it is not connected to the internet and not used daily. It's only used for older or specialty programs that can't run on Win11.
I would never daily a PC with an end of life operating system let alone connect it to the internet (to browse BITOG).

Last edited:
That's 2x8GB installed unless 2 more were added that's not shown in the pic.

Please get a new computer already. I build a new PC every 3 years with my last one being 10 years and I never knew I was getting massively held back with old hardware and changing software.
How so? I have no complaints on speed or performance of the hardware.

Looking in Task Manager, what processes are using up all the RAM?

Definitely run Disk Cleanup, click on the 'Clean up system files' button, check everything on the list and let it run.

EDIT: These are unrelated. Running Disk Cleanup will not affect memory usage, just to be clear.

Last edited:
How so? I have no complaints on speed or performance of the hardware.
you were mentioning the lack of win7 support.. @Pew was showing that they still support it at acronis..

but.. I did find some free software that would do the full cloning backup.. here's a link hope that helps ya!
https://www.ubackup.com/free-backup-software.html

EDIT: It was $39.95 for the pro version that allows you to clone the system OS.. not free, I apologize for missing that

review at techradar

@Hall you were saying it's "garbage" well I like to hang onto all of my data over the years, whatever I saved, it's memories for me. So what's the big deal in saving it? Storage is just getting cheaper and cheaper what once was an entire hard drive (40 gigs) can now be stored in a folder! I don't see an issue in keeping everything no matter what. Is it inefficient? Sure, but it's memories and that's worth something..

Last edited:
Problem with that is you bring over years and years of garbage. Every so often, whether its Windows, macOS, iOS, or Android, I wipe the drive/storage and "start over". I have important stuff saved.

Wait until you have a hard drive puke and you lose everything. I'm not a fan of enormous storage, preferring multiple, smaller ones.
I never said NOT to back up your information.. Of course you back up the data.. Always..

wow.. three web browsers sucking up ram/memory.. Ive never seen so many processes of a web browser run like that!

Every month or two is a long time to go without rebooting. How long has it been since the last time?

When you restore open pages/tabs, how many are were talking about?

Samsung Magician software cloned the existing hard drive onto my new 870 Evo, no problem.

Windows 10…

Back