Thinking buying 2007-2014 Silverado 1500 or Tahoe

I would avoid these models of trucks with a 5.3 just like I would avoid 04-08 Ford’s with the 5.4 3v. Those are the two most troublesome truck engines I’ve had the privilege of working on.
Wel...last year people didn't. The Sierra/Silverado out sold the "F" series.

Ok but I had a 2010 GMC 5.3L … beat on it hard on/off road for 8 years and it never saw the dealership …
I did all the fluids per severe duty schedule … Brake pads, tires … did upgrade shocks for off roading

Not saying they are completely bad- I am a fan of the simple design of those years. And I do have a friend who has an 2011 is has been a great truck for. But, I also know quite a few GM techs who work on them, and they still see more than they should. I just find that there are better used trucks for the money in the years he is looking for..... :)

I think they're hit or miss.

Whenever talking about a Chevy truck, it is a very sensitive subject.

I have a little experience with the 2014-2018. Here's the issues with those trucks...starter motors, collapsed lifters (not as frequent as earlier models), torque converter shudder, chevy shake, misfires, fuel injectors, oil consumption, ac condensers, frame rust. I've seen people putting transmissions in these things before 50,000 miles...and I've seen people drive these trucks a good 150,000 miles without having to do anything to them. It's hit or miss.

Having said that, it's not all horrible. They get excellent fuel economy for a V8. They are a quiet truck, interiors are solid, the ride is pretty nice, the power is good and the 4wd works great.

I just sold my Nissan Titan XD , these economic, no more truck payment , save me around 500 a month. im looking for cash truck. these are the model years i been looking at

also on ford F150, what year that they change the plug into 1 peice so it never broke again.

Haven't the vortec engines always burned oil as they wore out from neglect? Ive had a handful of 5.3s and 6.0 HD trucks MY 03-13 with no issues other than door handles breaking off, climate control issues. 07-13 is much improved from the previous cateye trucks. The 14s were the first year of the new style and they had some torque converter issues(even up til MY2019) and of course standard stabilitrak bs. I see more issues with GM trucks between 14-19 at auction than I do with even older/higher mileage Ford/Ram trucks.

2010-2013 had the 6 speed auto instead of 4. IMO those are better trucks. They wont rust as long as it's been taken care of.

Haven't the vortec engines always burned oil as they wore out from neglect? Ive had a handful of 5.3s and 6.0 HD trucks MY 03-13 with no issues other than door handles breaking off, climate control issues. 07-13 is much improved from the previous cateye trucks. The 14s were the first year of the new style and they had some torque converter issues(even up til MY2019) and of course standard stabilitrak bs. I see more issues with GM trucks between 14-19 at auction than I do with even older/higher mileage Ford/Ram trucks.

2010-2013 had the 6 speed auto instead of 4. IMO those are better trucks. They wont rust as long as it's been taken care of.
My experience is 07+ are a real downgrade. Our first hand examples at work though, my 2005 us built in Oshawa Ontario Canada and the 2013 is built in Mexico. Also our 2013 is only a 4.8 so it has the 4L60E same as the 2005, which we haven't had any trans issues with any of them.

We've had 2 outside door handles break on the 13 already, a rear door hinge has been messed up since like 20k and the tailgate feels like it might fall off. That and intermittent AC.

The 05 has had its share of wear and tear but it's almost double the mileage and 8 years older.

Watch out for rotted brake lines!
If you're talking to me...I'm keeping an eye on them. There is one small section where they were getting slightly rusty so I sanded them down a bit and primed/painted the lines before the box went back on (during cab corner and rocker panel replacement). I did the same with all of the frame. It still looks almost mint so I'm trying to keep it that way.

I do not want to downgrade to a newer truck.

If you're talking to me...I'm keeping an eye on them. There is one small section where they were getting slightly rusty so I sanded them down a bit and primed/painted the lines before the box went back on (during cab corner and rocker panel replacement). I did the same with all of the frame. It still looks almost mint so I'm trying to keep it that way.

I do not want to downgrade to a newer truck.
Not you directly, but some of the older models in rust prone areas or poor undercarriage cleaning/maintenance melt like ice cream to and from the ABS pump/module.

My experience is 07+ are a real downgrade. Our first hand examples at work though, my 2005 us built in Oshawa Ontario Canada and the 2013 is built in Mexico. Also our 2013 is only a 4.8 so it has the 4L60E same as the 2005, which we haven't had any trans issues with any of them.

We've had 2 outside door handles break on the 13 already, a rear door hinge has been messed up since like 20k and the tailgate feels like it might fall off. That and intermittent AC.

The 05 has had its share of wear and tear but it's almost double the mileage and 8 years older.

I had the complete opposite lol. My cateyes door pins would break off the latch and the panel would have to be pulled with the doors closed. I think the 07+ trucks feel and look like quality compared to the older trucks. Haven't had the window switch fall off or electrical soldering break loose yet on the 08 2500hd. 04 and 05 I've had to repair the gauge cluster, including the 04 H2 I used to have. The 09 and 13 1500 door handles just snapped off but both generations always ran fine for me mechanically.

I believe all crew cabs were assembled in Mexico. The Canadian/Indiana plant built the extended/single cabs.

I had the complete opposite lol. My cateyes door pins would break off the latch and the panel would have to be pulled with the doors closed. I think the 07+ trucks feel and look like quality compared to the older trucks. Haven't had the window switch fall off or electrical soldering break loose yet on the 08 2500hd. 04 and 05 I've had to repair the gauge cluster, including the 04 H2 I used to have. The 09 and 13 1500 door handles just snapped off but both generations always ran fine for me mechanically.

I believe all crew cabs were assembled in Mexico. The Canadian/Indiana plant built the extended/single cabs.
My gauge cluster has 2 bad gauges. Seems like that happens to every 03-06. Luckily I have torque pro as a replacement with a lot more useful gauges. Also have the clunky steering shaft.

We haven't had any switches fail on my 05 or the few other GMT800s I've had experience with. Hinge pins and one window regulator just had to be replaced this past month. Pretty good for 16 years and 200k miles, probably 100 times opening the door a day on average.

Other than the very common issues it seems like things that normally wear out after a ton of use seem to keep going on this truck, like starter, alternator, etc though I don't want to jinx it.

The gauge cluster is still going on my 06 albeit 2 burned out lighting leds that makes the trans temp gauge dark. While I've replaced a ton of GMT800 door handles...Mine are original.

After did all my research . Engine problem and how easy maint..... my next truck is Toyota Tundra crewmax . Not a new new model but 2010-2016 model . Where I can pay cash for it .

I have an 08, gawd what a money pit. Still the nicest truck I've ever had.

4.8, 2wd, 4L60E, reg cab, long bed, W/T trim. 240k miles.

Charged up the AC, it worked for a day. Haven't looked into further.
Fuel and tranny cooler lines rotted out.
Rear fender rust
starter dragging
dash goes berzerk, a known thing
EVAP issues
Airbag sensors on the bumper corrode, swell up, and break... at $80 a pop
underhood fusebox has corrosion brewing

My frame remains great, though, and it runs like a raped ape. Burns no oil.

I have a 2010 extended cab with the 4.8 liter and the 4l60E with 72000 miles. It takes the boat to the lake and brings it home. The dash has 2 cracks, and I've replaced an A/C hose and done regular maintenance-that's it. The gas mileage isn't 20 mph, but it's a truck not a Prius. I'm going to keep it until one of us is dead.

I believe that the 6.0’s were a different animal than the 5.3’s with the DDO or AFM. The 6.0 didn’t have that and therefore didn’t have the oil consumption issues, the collapsed lifers, etc.

I could be wrong, but last I checked everyone pretty much praised the 6.0...it kind of became the old LS 5.3 (pre cylinder deactivation).

And I’m not saying that the 5.3 from 2007-2018 were “bad”, but they certainly did have a larger amount of problems than the 5.3 BEFORE that time period. Yet I do know guys who have the 2007-2013 with 150,000 plus miles...I’m not saying trouble free miles (one did have the lifter collapse, but he’s still driving it now with over 215,000 miles). Think the lifter job cost him $2,000? But they probably got him for a few exhaust manifold studs, all the gaskets, ”throttle body and induction cleaning”, etc. Can’t imagine just lifters costing $2,000.

Yeah, no offense but I don't believe that for any second.
I'm not offended it just depends on how your truck is setup and how you drive. From Orange County CA to Boulder City NV dozens of times 23-25mpg consistently. My 94 Chevy Silverado 2500 with 350 got a consistent 19-22 mpg doing the same run.

With proper gearing, the right tires, and light on the gas/cruise control most all the Chevy full size small blocks see at least 20 mpg or more on the highway. Ironically my 05 GMC Sierra is 18-20 mpg with 4.3 liter v6, NV3500 transmission, and 3:73 gears. I attribute the poor mileage to the leveling kit and slightly larger tires,

Back