Thinking buying 2007-2014 Silverado 1500 or Tahoe

Idk what crack you smoking but pre-DI 5.3l is not getting 20+mpg. 😳

People like to post their Best Ever MPG, Under the right circumstances....An Gen IV AFM 5.3L can achieve that. Duramax guys like to brag about 20+ MPG, But I've only seen it a handful of mine out of mine.....Downhill with a tailwind. I average 16 MPG unloaded & 8 MPG with a fully loaded 40ft Gooseneck

I am a GM guy, and even I would tell you to avoid the 2007-2012 trucks, unless you like putting money into your truck. My local GM dealership has SEVEN of these (model years) being worked on for the usual issues these trucks have. I’m sure after enough repairs it will be a solid truck, but I would think the point of getting a used truck is to save a little money....

No they were. The introduction of the 6 speed transmission-and the new generation will return mid-20s mpg if you don't go over 70 or so.
The rest of the vehicle was a complete downgrade in my experience. Especially the interior and quality of the seats. Broken door handles. We have a 2013 at work with 120k and my 2005 with 202k. The 2005 has been a much better truck so far.

I am a GM guy, and even I would tell you to avoid the 2007-2012 trucks, unless you like putting money into your truck. My local GM dealership has SEVEN of these (model years) being worked on for the usual issues these trucks have. I’m sure after enough repairs it will be a solid truck, but I would think the point of getting a used truck is to save a little money....
Ok but I had a 2010 GMC 5.3L … beat on it hard on/off road for 8 years and it never saw the dealership …
I did all the fluids per severe duty schedule … Brake pads, tires … did upgrade shocks for off roading

Local guy sells used GM LS engines. He doesn't have any 2007-2009 5.3 according to him they are a bad design. He won't buy them or sell them. Don't shoot the messenger.

I would avoid these models of trucks with a 5.3 just like I would avoid 04-08 Ford’s with the 5.4 3v. Those are the two most troublesome truck engines I’ve had the privilege of working on.

People like to post their Best Ever MPG, Under the right circumstances....An Gen IV AFM 5.3L can achieve that. Duramax guys like to brag about 20+ MPG, But I've only seen it a handful of mine out of mine.....Downhill with a tailwind. I average 16 MPG unloaded & 8 MPG with a fully loaded 40ft Gooseneck
People also like to post their 1988 Ford F150 gets 24mpg. :p

My 2002 Silverado Z71 5.3 has long tube headers with performance exhaust, a cold air intake and a custom tune to make it all work in harmony. I get 21mpg on the highway all day long.
Driving 40 with a 4x2 single cab? Lol

Driving 40 with a 4x2 single cab? Lol
It's an extended cab 4x4 with 285/75-16 E rated tires. And yes...the speedometer was corrected for the larger diameter tire. 40mph wouldn't be considered "on the highway"....that's city driving. I usually drive whatever the posted speed limit is on the highway....maybe a tick or 2 above.

It's an extended cab 4x4 with 285/75-16 E rated tires. And yes...the speedometer was corrected for the larger diameter tire. 40mph wouldn't be considered "on the highway"....that's city driving. I usually drive whatever the posted speed limit is on the highway....maybe a tick or 2 above.
Apparently i need to get a GMT800 then. My 2011 CCSB 4xr with 3.42s gets 15mpg at 65-70. If I drove 60 on level ground it might get 16-17 lol

Apparently i need to get a GMT800 then. My 2011 CCSB 4xr with 3.42s gets 15mpg at 65-70. If I drove 60 on level ground it might get 16-17 lol
Mine was getting about 15-16 before the mods. Get it tuned...put on a less restrictive intake and exhaust. An engine that is more efficient will have to not work as hard pull itself. People always wonder why V6 engines in full size trucks don't really get any better mileage vs their V8 counterparts. They have to work harder to achieve the same result.

Mine was getting about 15-16 before the mods. Get it tuned...put on a less restrictive intake and exhaust. An engine that is more efficient will have to not work as hard pull itself. People always wonder why V6 engines in full size trucks don't really get any better mileage vs their V8 counterparts. They have to work harder to achieve the same result.
I have mine tuned and catback exhaust.

I have mine tuned and catback exhaust.
I did all my bolt-ons in phases. Headers with the high flow Y-pipe were the biggest improvement I put on where I immediately "felt" the improvement. It really woke it up. It takes several upgrades to get it where you want it...but its doable.

My 2005 gets better mileage than the 2013 at work, both have 4.8/4L60E/3.42 4x4. Mine has extended cab, 6.5' box the 2013 has 4 doors 5.5' box.

No idea why the difference, the old one is also noticeably faster.

now im thinking about the F150 , 09+ , i know early having spark plug problem, my 05 expedition is 240k miles , i use it for hauling stuff, still running strong.

Those can have cam phaser problems. We have an 09 5.4 at work that is good so far, but it only has about 80k miles on it. The GMT900 it is replacing has twice the mileage, so I don't know. If you buy a truck, plan on spending money.

They are good trucks I know several people with them. I wouldn’t get a 2007 model with it being the first year of the new style but any other year will be fine.

Back