Thinking about Vredestein 🤔

Dad wants to drive the xB more, and further
The garbage Ironmans it came with are balding, and one has sidewall damage when I inadvertently ran it flat 🙁
I was heading into work one morning over the Williamsburg Bridge in the rain, I've never hydroplaned like that before in my life 😲
Nearly 360d and would've hit the guardrail adjacent Peter Luger steakhouse ☠️
They gotta go 😤

He wanted Goodyears, because he's got the GY credit card and there's many rebates/incentives for memorial day
I've never had a Goodyear I was happy with (Fire/Bridgestone too 🙄)
My typical Continental or General options are kinda expensive 🫰 (RT45 prices are out of line 🤨)

I'm considering these Vredestein HiTrac All Seasons @ $435 for a set of 4

GY Eagle Sport All-Season @ $345
GY Assurance All-Season @ $365
GY Assurance ComfortDrive @ $395
GY Assurance WeatherReady @ $460
GY Assurance MaxLife @ $470

That Eagle Sport seems a deal, but I'm in the northeast, I need some semblance of cold weather/rain grip
And I've got bad memories of the Eagle LS, and the Assurance Fuel Max's I went all over town with him trying to get adjusted 😤

These Hungarian made Vredesteins seem to have extremely high marks in wet traction and quiet, both of which I value
I'd like to think they're worth the ~$50 premium over the Goodyears
I lucked out twice with, and now really appreciate TireRacks 2 year road hazard guarantee
I thought about the Quadracs, it would be my first run in with the "All Weather" genre of tire, but the 400 TW concerns me 🤔
1000011652.jpg

It's a good looking tread pattern IMO, reminds me of the old Michelin Primacy MXV4 that I really enjoyed
10.2/32" new and 700 TW rating means maybe 4 years tread life in NYC?
Life experience has taught me take the advertised tread life, and cut in half
These are warrantied for 70k, so if I get 35k out of them I'd be content
1716789969876.jpg

What say you?

Last edited:
Looks promising. We are lucky enough to have a really good, non-brand specific tire store nearby. Their recommendations often surprise me but all have turned out to be quite good. Might see if you can find a place like that near you.

I put the comfortdrive tires on my son’s car. They perform well, ride nice, and appear to be lasting nicely. I am not much of a GY fan, but I gave them a shot and so far am ok with my decision.

If they have the wear / weather and price positions you like, why not?
I remember them from my youth as a better tire....but that ain't data.

Also remember: It's Veredestein...think of it as a harder to spell version of Mobil1.

All weather tires are awesome. In fact, Vredestein was the first to make all-weather tires. The treadwear rating doesn't mean much, and remember, it's only comparable within the same mfr. The Quatrac has a 55k warranty, if that helps :)

Your tire size 205/55-16 is very common, so the tire selection is also vast.

Here are some other good tires for you:
Nokian Nordman Solstice 4 (the old WRG4) only $103 each, set of 4 $416
Milestar Weatherguard AW365 only $76 each, set of 4 $307

I have HiTrac on my rear, and ever since I put them on, there's a high pitch whirling noise when speed is above 40. If your xB is quiet you may be able to hear it - Be aware. Otherwise they have decent grip and ride quality.

If they have the wear / weather and price positions you like, why not?
I remember them from my youth as a better tire....but that ain't data.

Also remember: It's Veredestein...think of it as a harder to spell version of Mobil1.
It’s Vredestein.

Not “Veredestein”

Dad wants to drive the xB more, and further
The garbage Ironmans it came with are balding, and one has sidewall damage when I inadvertently ran it flat 🙁
I was heading into work one morning over the Williamsburg Bridge in the rain, I've never hydroplaned like that before in my life 😲
Nearly 360d and would've hit the guardrail adjacent Peter Luger steakhouse ☠️
They gotta go 😤

He wanted Goodyears, because he's got the GY credit card and there's many rebates/incentives for memorial day
I've never had a Goodyear I was happy with (Fire/Bridgestone too 🙄)
My typical Continental or General options are kinda expensive 🫰 (RT45 prices are out of line 🤨)

I'm considering these Vredestein HiTrac All Seasons @ $435 for a set of 4

GY Eagle Sport All-Season @ $345
GY Assurance All-Season @ $365
GY Assurance ComfortDrive @ $395
GY Assurance WeatherReady @ $460
GY Assurance MaxLife @ $470

That Eagle Sport seems a deal, but I'm in the northeast, I need some semblance of cold weather/rain grip
And I've got bad memories of the Eagle LS, and the Assurance Fuel Max's I went all over town with him trying to get adjusted 😤

These Hungarian made Vredesteins seem to have extremely high marks in wet traction and quiet, both of which I value
I'd like to think they're worth the ~$50 premium over the Goodyears
I lucked out twice with, and now really appreciate TireRacks 2 year road hazard guarantee
I thought about the Quadracs, it would be my first run in with the "All Weather" genre of tire, but the 400 TW concerns me 🤔
View attachment 221523
It's a good looking tread pattern IMO, reminds me of the old Michelin Primacy MXV4 that I really enjoyed
10.2/32" new and 700 TW rating means maybe 4 years tread life in NYC?
Life experience has taught me take the advertised tread life, and cut in half
These are warrantied for 70k, so if I get 35k out of them I'd be content
View attachment 221524
What say you?
Vredestein is a respected brand in Europe, usually cheaper than the other mainstream brands.

Never heard a bad word about them, but they are not as common as GoodYear, Dunlop or Michelin for example.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1’s on my 7, very impressed with the grip and wear rates.

I would happily run Vredesteins though

I was happy with my Vredesteins on my Escape and it's probably what I will buy for my Bolt because they are good and cheap and I like that combination :)

Back