thinking about using extended drain oci in Subaru

Oh? And what filter what you choose?
Pretty much anything but them. I typically use OEM on my own stuff. I have seen more than a few bad frams over the years as a 35 yr dealer tech . Guts loose in the filters, and plastic end caps not attached to filter media on cartridge filters is far too common. This thought is also shared among quite a few other techs also.

Pretty much anything but them. I typically use OEM on my own stuff. I have seen more than a few bad frams over the years as a 35 yr dealer tech . Guts loose in the filters, and plastic end caps not attached to filter media on cartridge filters is far too common. This thought is also shared among quite a few other techs also.

Anything in the last decade or two?

Which Fram offering was this?

Anything in the last decade or two?

Which Fram offering was this?

Actually one tech forum i am on (iAtn) I was in contact with a fram rep. ...after posting pics of failed filters....and sent a few failed ones to them. They sent me some swag. I used some of it.....gave filters away.

Like it or not the Ultras are not the Orange cans you guys all fear from their past reputations. I guarantee any filter you can name has had issues at some point as well.

Like it or not the Ultras are not the Orange cans you guys all fear from their past reputations. I guarantee any filter you can name has had issues at some point as well.
Oh that may well be......but as I stated, having seen issues with the inserts, I will never use them.....even if free.

I wouldnt run a fram for 500 miles....lol
Of course he said that just to cause a stir and get everyone to turn this into a debacle and try and derail the thread.
All of the examples he cited has absolutely nothing to do with the ultra line of filters and you guys are falling for it

Of course he said that just to cause a stir and get everyone to turn this into a debacle and try and derail the thread.
All of the examples he cited has absolutely nothing to do with the ultra line of filters and you guys are falling for it
Nope not trying to stir anything.....just will not use that companies oil filters due to issues. Certainly not for 20k

Nope not trying to stir anything.....just will not use that companies oil filters due to issues. Certainly not for 20k
Ok well I can understand that then, we all have first impressions or experience things that make us steer clear of things of one brand. But the Ultra line of filters have had nothing but good things to say about them as far as I know.

Ok well I can understand that then, we all have first impressions or experience things that make us steer clear of things of one brand. But the Ultra line of filters have had nothing but good things to say about them as far as I know.
I dont see any come in with them....do they make that line in an insert?

Urban during the week. Highway on weekends.
I see. You can attempt an extended OCI, but have some oil analysis to make sure that oil is good for longer intervals. Work your way up.
That being said, this is very much generalized, and you should refer to other individuals in this forum who are more experienced with this engine, and Subaru's in general.

If you’re sticking with 0W-20, go with M1 EP HM for the boosted anti-wear levels. Only extend your OCI beyond Subaru’s recommendation very gradually and only based on uoa’s with TBN.

Personally I wouldn’t do it because UOA’s don’t catch everything (been there, done that), but you might be fine given that you’re n/a.

@Al has done some extended OCI’s in his Forester with good UOA results, but I don’t recall the model year.

I have used both M1 EP and M1 EP HM (0w20 versions) in my 2018 Outback 2.5L and prefer the normal, non-HM version. I am a bit biased because the only high mileage oil I like is Valvoline Maxlife.

Back