Thinking about trading my car. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Transmission repair costs will come down as time goes on and more people compete for cvt rebuilds.

I agree.......but do you know why they just replace the whole unit instead of rebuilding them?

One can often find "online" factory warranties offered by discount dealers.

I purchased a real FORD extended warranty for about 1/2 what the dealership (that I purchased the truck from) wanted.

Bottom line, about $800 for powertrain AND general vehicle coverage to 100,000 miles. That's a bargain on a 4x4!

I wanted to add that if you can get a good trade in price and move up to a vehicle you really like, why not?

I always do the "cost per mile" math. When all things are included, it may not cost you much, if you choose carefully.

For example, some vehicles are much less expensive to insure. Some get better MPG. Some are known to last. etc.

I have an uncle in Texas who got over 100,000 miles from the CVT in his Murano. The transmission was fine when he sold it, the only reason he sold it was because he really wanted a new car.

I wouldn't worry so much. How many other times have we all been told that new transmission designs will be impractical to rebuild? Similar things were said said about FWD vehicles and electronically controlled transmissions many years ago.

Do some figures and find out if it would be worth it to keep and have the extended warranty. The CVT will go out eventually, but every part will...eventually. The CVT's in the Rouge did have issues initially so I would be concerned as well. Just figure out how much you would lose in a trade in vs buying an extended warranty, if you do decide to trade, go for the Honda CR-V. It has a solid drive train that should be worry free.

Before selling, if you really want to save the $ from taking a bath, I'd strongly recommend staying on top of tranny fluid changes.

A co-worker of mine has an 04 Acura TSX, one of the notorius years for trans failures. She has stayed on top of fliud changes and her trans is shifting like butter with NO signs of failing (and she's at 150k miles, most have failed by now).

She recently thought it was failing on her, but after a trip to the mechanic, it was determined it was just her engine mount that was bad.

maintenance is still key to reliability

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Before selling, if you really want to save the $ from taking a bath, I'd strongly recommend staying on top of tranny fluid changes.

A co-worker of mine has an 04 Acura TSX, one of the notorius years for trans failures. She has stayed on top of fliud changes and her trans is shifting like butter with NO signs of failing (and she's at 150k miles, most have failed by now).

She recently thought it was failing on her, but after a trip to the mechanic, it was determined it was just her engine mount that was bad.

maintenance is still key to reliability

Thank you and I agree. I am planning on some drain and fills soon. Which will be 20k miles ahead of the recommended time and Nissan can scan the car and via computers tell if the fluid needs changing or not....I want to get that done but I will ignore it if it says its still good. The ones that do fail seem to be going into fail safe mode.....mine has not done that.......yet

Originally Posted By: mcrn
The extended warranty is a good idea. Especially if I can buy one through Nissan. I am sure that will be cheaper than any other option and still give me piece of mind.

Cars are cheap. Health and happiness are not. If you like the car and you think buying the warranty will give you that peace of mind, then do it. On the other hand, if the CVT is going to bother you every time you drive it...life's too short for that in my opinion.

Setting yourself up for the future and saving money and pinching pennies have their place in life, but they can be balanced smartly with enjoying the life that you live right now. That's not to say go out and buy a yacht that you can't afford. But that is to say to not let your vehicle be a focal point of worry and anxiety.

OP would be taking a depreciation hit trading it now, but what's worse? Taking a depreciation hit and getting something (1)he wants (2) that is reliable or keeping it and facing $7000 CVT replacement at 80,000 miles?

I'd trade it for something with a reliable transmission.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is the actual likelihood of a transmission problem on this particular model year? TrueDelta shows 0% of users reporting transmission problems. Granted, their sample size is not very big. But I mean, any auto trans can fail, regardless of make/model.

Truedelta is one person going around posting on forums asking people what is wrong with their car. There doesn't appear to be a lot of community for the Rogue.

They were extremely failure prone, still are.

Can you squirrel away the $7k somehow, and sit on it for the next several years? If the trans goes, you've got the funds to repair. If not, then you still have the $7k.

Or can you trade out of this for less than that $7k loss? What would you replace it with that does not have some sort of failure-prone transmission?

Originally Posted By: supton
What would you replace it with that does not have some sort of failure-prone transmission?

That's the point I was trying to make earlier. If you look long enough on the internet, you'll find a case of prematurely failed trans on just about any vehicle. Stuff occasionally happens. But maybe transmissions on some other vehicles don't cost $7K to replace.

The only way the OP will have a peace of mind is if his car is under warranty - either original warranty or extended warranty. There are many ext. warranty options out there and they cost a lot less than $7K. And the cost of a new car warranty is basically the cost of getting a new car, but even that warranty will eventually expire and the OP will be faced with the cost of getting an extended warranty for it or keep trading up to a brand new vehicle.

Lots of good advice here! Thank you everyone. Supton I wish that was more of an option. If I do trade it in ive been looking at some Honda CRVs and there are some good deals around here. Their MPGs are also slightly better than mine and better resale value. I think at first I would take a hit but if I kept it for 7 or 8 years I do not think it would be the case. However you never know....mine could go 150k miles without a problem. I am not in a rush....like I said I have warranty left so I hope the advice you guys have keeps coming! Hokiefyd .....I agree with what you said and thank you. The Rogue is a car I like.....however I am not passionate about it. Its a tool that works for me but maybe if I do trade it I should look for a vehicle that I have more passion for.....lol such as the new Golf with a manual......much better MPG too....but the reliability scares me.....but a base model with a stick? Maybe would not be so bad?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Hokiefyd .....I agree with what you said and thank you. The Rogue is a car I like.....however I am not passionate about it. Its a tool that works for me but maybe if I do trade it I should look for a vehicle that I have more passion for.....

Yes...but really, my point wasn't even to get a car you like better. It was simply to get out of a car that causes you anxiety. I've been there. We had a late model minivan that we actually did really like, but we couldn't keep it out of the dealership. We sold it (to Carmax) after only 44k miles, but those were some frustrating miles, I'll tell ya. It sounds like yours hasn't given you any major issues so far, and that's great. But anxiety over potential failure is sometimes worse than dealing with what you know to be bad.

DO NOT get a Focus if reliability and longevity are your goals. The CRV would certainly do nicely as would a Rav4.
I'm a worry-wort when it comes to cars. While fun and "coolness" do come into the picture a little...if I can't 100% depend upon a car to get me either to work....or a 3000 mile road trip at a moments notice....I don't want it. I'm not saying that your Nissan isn't reliable, but if YOU have concerns about it based on facts, data, and your own opinions that it may be a future issue....then get a vehicle you have more trust in.

LT4....im not married....girl im seeing likes the Nissan well enough but there are other cars she likes more.

I'd add the Mazda3 Hatch to the list of cars to trade for if you end up opting out of the Rouge. Either transmission should be fine. Personally, I'd opt for the 6-manual, but I've heard the 6-auto is very good, too. I saw one on the road today; boy does it have a handsome profile! Plenty of mpg to boot.

So right now I got an ad today that the 2014 Toyota Prius can be had for 0% financing for 72 months.......hmmmm??? Thats tough to beat....and I would double my MPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back