Thinking about a new car....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some advice and a reality check here.
My wife really would like an awd car, given the Connecticut winters that we deal with- snow, then slop, then ice...but then perfectly clear roads for a while.
Probably the only make that interests me is Subaru- European cars, and any SUV are absolutely out of the question.
Here's the catch- we would be looking to replace our Civic Si- not bad in the snow, but not confidence inspiring either.I don't have a problem driving it in light snow; I also have a 4wd truck for the truly nasty stuff. We both prefer lively, sporty cars that are still practical for trips, errands, transporting two teenage daughters, etc. Firmer/stiffer rides and manual transmissions are ok.
For perspective- we did test drive a Legacy 3.0R Ltd recently- and did not like it at all; not sporty enough(this is not intended as a bash- )
Would an Impreza WRX be worth considering? The 5-door seems to fit the bill, at face value; the cargo room would be great for trips. Decent daily driver? How much maintenace hassle (3750 mandatory oil change aside- after all, I am on BITOG!)?
The 2009 mid-level models are what probably fit our "design requirement" the best. As an aside, the same dealer also has an '08 WRX STI w/BBS option leftover that the salesman offered to take $7k off when we told him that we didn't like the Legacy. Not crazy about the boy racer appearance (blue/gold wheels), though.
Worth even thinking about? Thoughts, opinions and slaps up the side of my head would be greatly appreciated!

'09 Infiniti G37x or a left over '08 G35x is another option. The new '09 WRX is very fast and keeps up with a '08 STI easily. All are excellent vehicles.

Are you looking for a manual or auto? If only manual transmission vehicles interest you, than a Subaru WRX/STI would be my top choice according to the criteria you described.

Last edited:
Try a Legacy 2.5 GT, maybe?

Will the teenage daughters be driving the car? If not, a WRX or STI would be a slam dunk.

IMO, an iffy appearance doesn't mean a [censored] thing. If the car is good to drive and does what you want it to do, you'll enjoy looking at it.

On the whole, Subarus are great cars to own. Break them in right and keep up with the scheduled maintenance, and they'll treat you extremely well.

I'd look for an very low mileage Mazdaspeed6 if you want something all wheel drive, very sporty, great handling, and 6spd manual with more interior room than a Civic or Subaru.

You might also look into the AWD version of the Milan/Fusions.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
WRX
Legacy 2.5GT
A4 Quattro

Man did you even test drive the STI??

The 2.5GT in automatic form is lethargic due to turbo lag. The WRX and Legacy 2.5GT I would only consider in manual.

A4 is nice but out of the question since the OP does not want a European vehicle. Otherwise, a BMW 3 series XI would be on the list as well.

I think for the money, the G37x can't be beat. The new Acura TL-S with SH-AWD is another contender worth considering but is only available in automatic trim with AWD as in the case of a G37X.

Thanks for the replies so far!
To answer some questions-
My oldest daughter would only drive the WRX with me, or in the event of an emergency. She has our modded Buick Regal GS... and it isn't a slow car either!
Thought about the Ford.... don't know much about it.Sporty?
I like the Speed 6- but the nearest Mazda dealer (few and far between here) is inhabited by complete and total jerks. (My parts guy won't even do business with them...)Used? No thanks. Concerned about the fuel dilution and driveline issues, too.
No Audis- we'll just call it personal preference.
Backstory for L_Turbo- the Subie salesperson was so dumbstruck (as in stammering, turning pale, swallowing a lot) by our profound dislike of the Legacy that he didn't offer a drive. Both my wife and I can be really scary when we're dealing with car salesmen...hehe. We didn't ask because we had had enough of the dealership at that point...
Taking my time to ponder is good; "no hurry, it's only a car". Keeping the salesperson off-balance and out of his center is also good...

Keep the commentary coming- I'm looking for that defining moment in the decision making process were I either go for it- or move on...

If you're looking to replace the Civic because it's bad in the snow, may I suggest a new set of snow tires? IMO, a good set of snows is worth a lot more than the expense of an AWD system.

Yes, dedicated snows are a possibility, too. What got me going on this was the high retained value of the Civic, coupled with the current new car market, and my wife's desire for awd.

I should also add that putting dedicated winter tires on the Civic also has a price- such as noticeably degraded handling and braking in good conditions- which, to be realistic, occur at a much greater frequency and duration than the bad. Tire/wheel swapping at the onset of ice/snow is impractical. The awd approach is more universal...

I've never been impressed by AWD personally. A proper 4WD drivetrain with locking differentials on a high-clearance vehicle is one thing, you've got a vehicle that can really go places others can't.

AWD on the other hand, is more marketing than anything. Given the same vehicle, one with AWD and one with FWD (or RWD and some sandbags), both are just as capable. The AWD might get traction sooner if you're really booting it and the ground is loose, but whatever, you'll still get there with both if you've got good tires and drive carefully.

AWD also has the disadvantage of reducing efficiency and increasing weight.

Last edited:
I agree that the Subaru is an excellent choice in an AWD car. I am not sure what price cap you have set, but you could also check out the Audis (I secretly love Audis!) and the Cadillac CTS offers AWD, too. If you are willing to look to small SUV's than the world is wide open there too with the Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent, Toyoya Rav4, Honds CRV etc offering awd as well.

I'd check insurance rates with teen drivers before considering a WRX or STI.

All the insurance agents have seen "Fast and the Furious" numerous times.

If you got something WRX- sporty with around 50-series tires your snows will be expensive and will probably be compromised by stiff sidewalls (floppy 80-series are great in the snow!) if you want handling during the good days of winter. Remember you have to turn and stop, and AWD adds weight.

I'd see if you can work a lease that you can get out of quickly if the car turns out to disappoint... yet work in a good deal to buy at the end if you love it.

If parking's not an issue keep the civic and drive it in between storms.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
I've never been impressed by AWD personally. A proper 4WD drivetrain with locking differentials on a high-clearance vehicle is one thing, you've got a vehicle that can really go places others can't.

AWD on the other hand, is more marketing than anything. Given the same vehicle, one with AWD and one with FWD (or RWD and some sandbags), both are just as capable. The AWD might get traction sooner if you're really booting it and the ground is loose, but whatever, you'll still get there with both if you've got good tires and drive carefully.

AWD also has the disadvantage of reducing efficiency and increasing weight.

Mostly agree. The only AWD I would consider would be Subaru with their symetrical AWD system. Nearly all others are quasi-AWD systems where the car operates in FWD mode until a certain amount of slipage is detected before power is distributed to one of the rear wheels. In most vehicles, the amount of slipage needed to activate a rear wheel is ridiculously excessive. IMO, for the most part it is more marketing than useful machinery. Proper driving in winter conditions would prove more useful. This comes from someone who drives over 40K miles a year driving up and down the Pocono mountains.

Last edited:
Lexus offers the IS250 in AWD. If you don't like the Legacy, you might like the IS. No manual available in AWD (6 sp manual is available in RWD models) but it's plenty small and fun to drive.

A Legacy 2.5 GT Spec B is in the low 30's, same as the IS250 AWD. Either way you'll need some real snow tires or at least some Nokian all season's if you want decent winter traction.

If you can wait, I think the 2010 Fusion Sport is available in AWD form. It doesn't come out until the spring though.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If you can wait, I think the 2010 Fusion Sport is available in AWD form. It doesn't come out until the spring though.

The SE V6 is already available in AWD, we had one as a rental. Really good in snow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again to all for the replies.
I've run into what is a showstopper for the Subies- the engine failure issue that occured earlier this year (stop sales order/all turbo 2.5's, rod knock).
Don't know if the issue is fully resolved... but it does explain why there are many '08 WRX STis on Connecticut dealers lots-
I think I'll sit this one out....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back