Thinking about 2014 Odyssey Brakes

JHZR2

Staff member
Our Odyssey has 78k miles on it. Original pads and rotors. Primarily around town/local driving. Stops well and smooth.

Front:
A483A317-8550-4B6A-983B-E661E868BF34.jpeg

4C51B7B2-091C-4B3E-9645-A8E9F2107D03.jpeg

3BBD1516-0B9D-4B38-9D34-02B64F67E923.jpeg

Rear:
68C12CF7-4CE9-4BDF-ABCC-0C3555F672F0.jpeg

355BF90B-B761-46E9-8B3B-F93744CF8239.jpeg
7D18AEA9-29F5-48EC-BA29-58872AD4FCE1.jpeg

The one thing that mildly concerns me is this:
E295ED3B-0307-4E59-88CC-0EEC711EB580.jpeg

I’m almost inclined to just do a pad slap with OE pads and call it a day. There is minimal “lip” of wear on the rotor, and while they’re a little rusty, they aren’t that bad.

Any reason to not go OE, like pads that are significantly better? Since we have smooth braking, and I’m not sure that there are US made rotors that can be had cost effectively, I’m inclined to leave it all alone, and just clean the surfaces.

I think we have 10-20k miles to go. We drive gently and get very long service from brakes and tires.

Thoughts on what to select for a brake job?

Thanks!

Looks good, especially for the mileage. Do you clean the slide pins at the "B" service?

I'll be installing Brembo 4 pistons in the front when ours is due for brakes.

you could do a pad slap, cleanup and pin grease. I would 2nd like the element3 pads for a pad slap because they are a little more aggressive on rotors and might bed a little better. Either way, I would take some time to rough the rotors up with any pad slap.

With the pad life you got, no reason not to go OE. That big scratch in the rotor would bother me enough to do the rotors too.

With the pad life you got, no reason not to go OE. That big scratch in the rotor would bother me enough to do the rotors too.

Irrational me agrees about the scratch. Rational me says that it is almost irrelevant to frictional interface area, so why mess with it??

Maybe take some thickness measurements on the rear rotors, just to see what you think? Always fun...
I would imagine a nice pad slap on will serve for years.
I did my niece's '15 Oddy (nearly twice the miles as yours and not 1st service) front brakes with Element 3 pads and rotors. Came out smooth and strong; cured the shudder.

Springing for Honda parts is always nice, if it is in the budget. I think you will like the Element 3 parts.

Maybe take some thickness measurements on the rear rotors, just to see what you think? Always fun...
I would imagine a nice pad slap on will serve for years.
I did my niece's '15 Oddy (nearly twice the miles as yours and not 1st service) front brakes with Element 3 pads and rotors. Came out smooth and strong; cured the shudder.

Springing for Honda parts is always nice, if it is in the budget. I think you will like the Element 3 parts.
There’s no inspection port in the backing plate to use to measure rotor thickness with a micrometer…

There’s no issue with Honda parts; pad sets cost $40/60 it seems.

I would leave them as is until the pads need changing. They look very good BTW.

Personally I would also change the rotors, so maybe look for good ones in the meantime, especially if you don’t want Chinese made.
Check out the various online Honda part stores, they may have decently priced OEM rotors.

There’s no inspection port in the backing plate to use to measure rotor thickness with a micrometer…

There’s no issue with Honda parts; pad sets cost $40/60 it seems.
Seems like you are leaning towards OE more.

I have recently installed front and rear brakes combo from Powerstop for under $400. They work great on the 2013 Odyssey that lives in NJ.

Let's see how long these will last compared to the Akebonos and Duralast gold it had before.

If you got that kind of life out of OE and the price is reasonable, that would be an easy no worries choice.

I am a big fan of NAPA's newer Silent Guard pads that replaced the Premium or whatever the one a step below Adaptive One was. My 97 Explorer got a 4 wheel Silent Guard pad slap a few hundred miles ago and brakes perfectly, and yes they are silent. They are the aftermarket go-to at work because we have had no comebacks with them.

I am a big fan of NAPA's newer Silent Guard pads that replaced the Premium or whatever the one a step below Adaptive One was. My 97 Explorer got a 4 wheel Silent Guard pad slap a few hundred miles ago and brakes perfectly, and yes they are silent. They are the aftermarket go-to at work because we have had no comebacks with them.
I just checked the edge codes on a set. They are made by a vendor that I have never heard of:

"Revestimientos Especiales De México S de RL de CV"

I just checked the edge codes on a set. They are made by a vendor that I have never heard of:

"Revestimientos Especiales De México S de RL de CV"
Interesting, that's a new one for me too. They seem to make a very good brake pad. I didn't even do any specific bedding in after, just drove and there's literally nothing I can complain about so far. The Ranger needs front pads soon and I plan on slapping a set on it too.

Back