Thin vs Thick Discussion, Chapter 9

Some variable oil pumps also use a bypass to regulate the output volume, and that's a different bypass than the maximum pressure bypass like on the old type pumps. There are different designs of variable PD oil pumps.
Zee -- are you in the pump business, or is this a subject that fascinates you? You appear to have quite the handle on this topic. Respectfully

Yes, please, I would like to learn more about using water as an engine lubricant (motor oil). The potential savings could be huge. If nothing else, maybe Dr. Haas can teach me how to use 0W-8 in my HEMI to get closer to 30 MPG while towing, and without having to see a connecting rod or several, leave the party too soon via the side of the engine block ;). So, I'm all ears ...err... eyes 👀
At my house the calcium is already there 😷

Maybe the next experiment for the Ferrari could be going to 0W-8.

• Haha
Reactions: FCD
Maybe the next experiment for the Ferrari could be going to 0W-8.

That stuff might hit turbulent flow so hard it will get folks excited about meaningless PSI …

English meanings again, we have three speed transmissions, 10 speed bikes, etc, which doesn’t mean they are used at one rotational speed. So yes the standard oil pump can be called a single speed pump too. I guess speeds in English can mean something like “ranges, or steps” or mean different fixed rotational speeds. The context tells what it is.

The first time this seris was posted here the majority seemed to believe it as gospel facts. ,,,No oil is too thin at start up was popular.
Yep, I remember the old days when the term startup wear was thrown in your face constantly.

I don't think this guy will ever quit promoting thin oils as weird as it may be. And weird it is, because I'm more interested in why he's doing it rather than why I should use a thin oil. I am of the opinion that the correct oil should be used for the correct application, and manufacturer recommendations should always be taken with a grain of salt because they have altering motives like CAFE and EPA compliance. I don't advocate to go crazy with viscosity in either direction, however, engine reliability shouldn't be compromised for a .5% in fuel efficiency. Picard out 🤣
I think it is "millenial" brainwashing of some sort. They are obsessed with fictional methods of getting better mileage. They think "thick" oil is a big conspiracy by the oil companies, etc. This same group thinks that LED lighting retrofit of a car will increase fuel mileage, because the alternator does not have to work so hard. You know, complete nonsense. Ask them about a rear end ratio and the do not have a clue how that could effect mileage. Conspiracy... They think thinner oil is better, even if the manufacturer is saying to use a thicker oil. They know better.

I don't think this guy will ever quit promoting thin oils as weird as it may be. And weird it is, because I'm more interested in why he's doing it rather than why I should use a thin oil. I am of the opinion that the correct oil should be used for the correct application, and manufacturer recommendations should always be taken with a grain of salt because they have altering motives like CAFE and EPA compliance. I don't advocate to go crazy with viscosity in either direction, however, engine reliability shouldn't be compromised for a .5% in fuel efficiency. Picard out 🤣
I am sure Dr Hass is laughing till he wets his pants .

A "Frankenbrew" synthetic is the answer then : 2 qrts. M1 0W20 EP + 3 qrts. M1 5W30 EP in a 5 quart oil sump ?

Look at over the road long distance trucks that run hundreds of miles a day the engines will last a million miles or more because once they are started up they don't get shut down until the driver runs out of driving time for the day. 😁
That's not done much anymore. Long gone are the days when trucks were lined up idling at the truck stops. Truckers idled their trucks to keep the fuel warm to promote more power and fuel economy. Modern oils have extended the oil and engine life of today's truck engines.

Back