Thin Oils and Lower Operating Temperatures

Engine failures due to the oil are extremely rare. Usually it’s the lack of oil that causes engines to fail.
Exactly, however many posts from members on here feel the manufacturers recommendation of 0w20 is setting them up for failure. 🥴😏🤐

I don’t care what a Rav4 in Saudi Arabia uses I’m in the states I follow the manufacturer requirements for my area.

Exactly, however many posts from members on here feel the manufacturers recommendation of 0w20 is setting them up for failure. 🥴😏🤐

I don’t care what a Rav4 in Saudi Arabia uses I’m in the states I follow the manufacturer requirements for my area.

The US is also a pretty low stress environment for engines compared to many other places. Low speed limits, rarely are people using full throttle, etc. That’s partly why the grade recommendations are sometimes different overseas.

I do agree with you then again, If the cooling system is up to par and good airflow the oil isn’t as stressed cruising at 80mph as would be sitting in 90+ degree hot freeway smog filled traffic ac blasting.

I don't think anyone has claimed that using thinner oil is going to cause a failure. However, if someone ran 0W-8 in an engine calling for 5W-40 for track use at WOT near redline for an hour it might be possible. Using too thin oil in a case like that would certainly cause more wear.

It boils down to having increased wear protection with a higher viscosity - ie, more MOFT headroom between rubbing parts helps reduce wear. The film thickness created by viscosity between moving parts is the main mechanism to prevent wear. The film strength of the oil from the AF/AW additives takes over when the film thickness goes to zero. The film thickness goes to zero easier as the viscosity becomes thinner. Many here like some viscosity headroom - what's wrong with that?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has claimed that using thinner oil is going to cause a failure. However, if someone ran 0W-8 in an engine calling for 5W-40 for track use at WOT near redline for an hour it might be possible.

It boils down to having increased wear protection with a higher viscosity - ie, more MOFT headroom between rubbing parts helps reduce wear. The film thickness created by viscosity between moving parts is the main mechanism to prevent wear. The film strength of the oil from the AF/AW additives takes over when the film thickness goes to zero. The film thickness goes to zero easier as the viscosity becomes thinner. Many here like some viscosity headroom - what's wrong with thatt?
Umm, you do understand how the internet works right? If we cannot spread hate and discontentment what’s the point of living.

Oh, I don't know about that. Plenty have alluded to this specifically in the "it's only there to get you to the warranty expiration" type statements.
If thinner oil caused more wear over the long run it would most likely take longer than the warranty period to show up with a problem requiring warranty coverage. Of course abuse like using xW-20 for extended track days without an adequate oil cooler would be another thing. Normal street driving (no heavy towing, etc) might cause a bit more wear, but not enough to cause any major "failure", unless there was a lack of lubrication (ie, very low oil level, badly degraded oil due to lack of maintenance, etc ... or lack of oil flow due to an oiling system problem).

If thinner oil caused more wear over the long run it would most likely take longer than the warranty period to show up with a problem requiring warranty coverage. Of course abuse like using xW-20 for extended track days without an adequate oil cooler would be another thing. Normal street driving (no heavy towing, etc) might cause a bit more wear, but not enough to cause any major "failure", unless there was a lack of lubrication (ie, very low oil level, badly degraded oil due to lack of maintenance, etc ... or lack of oil flow due to an oiling system problem).
A reasonable assessment...

The oil temp on my Taos varies between ~208 and 225 depending on ambient temp and load, but usually it's in the 210-220 range. That seems pretty normal for any engine.

Back