Thickest/largest HTHS 0W20?

If also considering 5W-20, Edge EP is a "thick 20."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201128-065605_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201128-065605_Drive.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 207
For that case the old https://motoroil.biosynthetic.com/download/Motor_Oil_Data_Sheet.pdf
disclosed even more, the low VII treatment they showed in another table, and the forum needs early adopters!

As with most other entries no special thickness involved of course.

Some Mazda Original Ultra 0W-20 had looked thick in foundation albeit it featured high VI. Don't know if it's still around.

Last edited:
thanks for all the help! is HTHS a more important factor? like should i rather look for the highest hths rather then lowest viscosity at 100?

With more focus on HTHS the analogy only becomes: ripping the carb off your supercharged 383 and putting on new-old-stock of similar appearance and slightly more cfm, then enlarging main jetting and loosening an idle screw and calling it good. Which can work for 30 minutes or 30 years, but no, it ain't necessarily so.
The Mobil1 ESP x2 0W-20 for example appears to be thicker (depending on perspective) than the two 5W-20 oils mentioned last. HTHS values are virtually indistinguishable here and for certain areas or higher shear rates the behaviour is different again. xW-30 up to 3.2 in HTHS would be a reasonable alternative when questioning 0W-20 in summer heat.

I wanted to chime in about another good, thick 0w20 which is Valvoline Modern Engine. KV100 is 8.8 and while the HTHS is not listed on the PI sheet for this specific oil the other Valvoline full synthetic 0w20 oils are listed as having a 2.7 HTHS so I would surmise that Modern Engine would be similar if not the same. I like the fact that this oil was specifically formulated for usage in direct injection engines.

Largest would refer to its physical size. So in that case 0W-20 in a 55gal drum would be larger than 0W-20 in a single quart.

thanks for all the help! is HTHS a more important factor? like should i rather look for the highest hths rather then lowest viscosity at 100?
HTHS viscosity is the number you ultimately want. In most cases, the HTHS will be higher when the oil also has a higher KV100, so if there is no HTHS data available then KV100 is better than nothing to compare hot viscosity. A lower KV100 will most likely also mean a lower HTHS viscosity.

Back