Thicker Oil For Oil Consumption

Curious to know if using thicker oil really help with oil consumption? For example.. If a car recommends 5w20 can a 5w30 or 5w40 oil help slow down consumption and what about high mileage synthetic oils? Thanks

Depends on the source of oil consumption. Sometimes it may make it worse.
The vehicle in question? How bad is the consumption? 100% positive it's burning and not leaking out?

Depends on the source of oil consumption. Sometimes it may make it worse.
The vehicle in question? How bad is the consumption? 100% positive it's burning and not leaking out?
just curious if using thicker oil really works, No oil consumption issues yet.

It does, if source of consumption is wear. Sometimes may help seal up the valve guides temporarily. But with carboned up rings and ringlands - thicker oil may worsen that issue. Or at least that was the consensus a few years ago on some topics about 1ZZ and 2AZ Toyota engines.

It might or might not work depending on why oil is being consumed. Try a thicker oil and see if it makes a difference.

just curious if using thicker oil really works, No oil consumption issues yet.

Most of the time probably yes, and the rule of thumb into the 90's was use thicker oil as a car aged. Better base oils and the advent of HM oils have made this less sage. But in some cases, often times in some Toyota 1.8Ls, it can make it worse due to clogging passages restricting flow.

But yeah there were a couple times I changed oil on a beater and found it burned so I put in STP or something like it to slow it down and went to heavier the next change.....

Great points. i do think that if oil was the universal answer to oil burning, almost all TSBs for that issue would spec it rather then a rebuild/bigger dipstick (looking at you Toyota).

Yes, it often helps markedly. However, the change in viscosity generally must be significant. Going from a 0/5W-20 to a 5W-30 is not likely to make any real difference. Going to 10W-40 or 15W-50 will probably work. Prius owners move to 20W-50 and sometimes get another 100K miles.

I'm in Cujet's camp.

Flush the engine and drain the oil with a vacuum, change the filter, fill in a 10W-30 or even 15W-40, preferably a CK-4 HDEO, to the sump dry fill capacity not the service fill (one time only) and thank me later.

I haven't checked my own rolling oil consumption experiment (Project xB) in some time 😳

Under most conditions (Toyota pistons excluded) a thicker oil will burn less
How much less depends on how/where it's burning

my 59,000 mile slightly loose 2001 TT 225Q shows more vacuum on the autometer gauge i installed using redline 15-50 + some 15-40 depending on the time of year + it uses less as i boost to 25 lb on the gauge at times!!!!!

Oil consumption from:

Bad oil rings or sticking ring - likely not
Worn valve guides - maybe
Leaky gaskets or seals - likely but still better off with a high mileage oil or different brand or even going back to a semi synthetic.

Different brands do different things to different engines. Its not a one size fits all answer.

It would have helped more if the thicker oil was used before consumption started to increase.

Or maybe buy better engines without manufacturer defects. And some of the least reliable engines are the ones that called for thicker oil to begin with, ask about my brother's early 2000's Porche he bought for a song...

Back