Thicker oil/Auto-Rx/anything can help leaky rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make a long story short, my 176k mile '89 Civic Si has taken much longer to start when cold lately (5-6 seconds). 1st guess was dirty injectors, so I added some cheapo cleaner to my last tank (Marvel Bros. Injector Cleaner). No help (and I do not have any Neutra... yet). So I decided to pull my plugs out and take a look.
thumbsdown.gif
Oil engulfed electrodes on 3 of the 4. Since I have owned the car (Nov. 2002), it has been flowing Schaeffer 10w30 until my last oil change (Citgo Supergard 5w30, got a case VERY cheap). Well, I will be going back to Schaeffer anyway in either 10w30 or 15w40. Will thicker oil, AutoRx, or anything else eliminate or reduce the blowby/ring seepage?

Also, FWIW, no smoke on startup out the tailpipe and consumption per 3000 miles is under 1 quart with any oil. Thanks to anyone.

I am not an Auto-Rx expert, nor do I play one on BITOG TV - but I have read folks HERE (not cheesy web-testies) that have good results with freeing stuck rings.

I have no idea what your issues are exactly but it's worth a full fuel system treatment and a good crankcase clean with Auto-Rx followed by a good oil, and an oil analysis (Assuming you have taken care of the tune-up basics)

If none of this helps, time for hard diagnostics -from codes to a leak down test.

Remember - no oil or additive will help repair long term mechanical wear/hard problems that have already occurred. (I guess some stuck rings can be called a "soft" problem
smile.gif
)

[ May 06, 2003, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

it's definitely worth a try IMO, hard start up can be caused by poor compression as well. But do the fuel system cleaning as well as the oil treatment. Gotta expect that once the miles get high. Replacing the fuel filter may help as well if it wasn't done at the prescribed intervals.

When I had a bad valve guide on my last Honda, I always found a thicker non-synthetic oil leaked a lot less into the chamber, the plugs stayed a lot cleaner when I ran Castrol GTX 10w-30. You may want to consider going to a higher viscosity and see if it helps with Schaeffers products, perhaps go with their non-synthetic oil, the molybond seems like a great product that might work well for your engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
BrewCityR, are you sure it was oil and not fuel fouling? How long have the plugs been in there? Did you switch brands? After having played the field years ago, I'd never bother with anything other than the OEM-spec NGKs.

My father's older Mercury Marquis used a great deal more oil (even more oil once you figured the displacement difference) than your Civic and the plugs were dry for dozens of thousands of miles. Also, I've seen low-mileage Preludes go through a quart or so in 1,000 miles with no drivability issues. The owner never had a clue because the car always ran great.
dunno.gif

Have you ruled out weak ignition? That may be the reason for the hard starting and fouling. A proper running Honda should be able to burn that small amount of oil off. Perhaps your igniter needs replacement? Some other weak link in your ignition?
confused.gif

I'd investigate this angle at Honda-Tech.com and perhaps other sources.

--- Bror Jace

H-T is worthless in that department. The only replies I will see is "Oh, my plugs look like that too." with no answers to help my situation.

Cap, rotor, and plugs were new NGK Coppers (OEM) in late November 2002. I think my ignitor is fine. I have run about 3-4 tanks of gas since the starting slowdown started, so I am sure it's not a fuel issue. I am placing an order for some Neutra ASAP anyway. FYI, once the car is warm, shut down and started back up, it fires instantly like there is no oil on the plugs. Thanks for the help tho. I thought about going to a hotter plug (5 series) so the oil may burn off even better.
tongue.gif

I would try a thiner oil if you think the rings are stuck. If you think the rings and guides are worn then go with a thicker oil. A compression test and vacum test will tell you what is going on. First you mould want to clean the top end. Then use a good flush like Auto-RX of Nuetra. Then if it is just stuck rings try useing a thin polyol type oil like redlines new thiner weights. You really want an oil that can take the heat at the rings and will flow into it to try tocleanit up and lubricate it as much as possable. The last thing you want is a thick dino, Group III or PAO hanging out in the rings getting coked if you already have a problem with dirty ring lands! If on the other hand your rings and guides are just wornout the thicker oils will improve ring sealing. Guides do not get alot of lubrication so it would not help you if the guides are gone! Good Luck!!!!

BrewCityR, are you sure it was oil and not fuel fouling? How long have the plugs been in there? Did you switch brands? After having played the field years ago, I'd never bother with anything other than the OEM-spec NGKs.

My father's older Mercury Marquis used a great deal more oil (even more oil once you figured the displacement difference) than your Civic and the plugs were dry for dozens of thousands of miles. Also, I've seen low-mileage Preludes go through a quart or so in 1,000 miles with no drivability issues. The owner never had a clue because the car always ran great.
dunno.gif

Have you ruled out weak ignition? That may be the reason for the hard starting and fouling. A proper running Honda should be able to burn that small amount of oil off. Perhaps your igniter needs replacement? Some other weak link in your ignition?
confused.gif

I'd investigate this angle at Honda-Tech.com and perhaps other sources.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back