The WAR: Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 VS GC 0W30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
There is a difference between what the mfg "approves" and what oil companies says "meets or exceeds" or "recommended"

There are members on Fred's with North American spec Pumpe Duuse TDI's with letters from VAG authorizing/approving use of 507 oil. 505.01 and 506.01 diesel oil specs are superceded by 507. Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 carries VW 507 approval. Therefore it can be used in Pumpe Duese TDI's per the referenced restrictions.

See if I understand this:

It's the latest greatest oil on the planet that meets or exceeds the requirements of a huge list of fancy expensive European sports cars and small diesel, but doesn't quite cut it for use in a 1985 F150.

hmmmm....

Quote:
Also Molakule's comment (since he is the foremost tribologist on this board), "And everything you have read or have been old about Mag, moly, calcium, etc., you may as well forget about it.

New chemistries are changing the face of that bottle of oil.

Instead, you should be looking at the performance and UOA results of oils and look for trending of wear metals."

This is so true.

I'm running this oil in my VW GTI and have been really impressed with the fuel economy improvement and lack of bad start up sounds my engine has had with some oils. Previous oil was Valvoline Synpower 5W-40, another lower SAPs type oil and it performed worse in both above regards. It seemed to run rougher during hard accelerations too.

Am I wrong to remember that BMW LL-04 approved oils are susceptible to fuel dilution when used with "lesser" fuels found in North America, e.g. the ethanol blends?

Wouldn't that make the ESP 5w30 less attractive for those of us driving in the USofA?

Side note: Is BMW LL-04 a required approval for USA BMW's now, or is that a EU only spec? I'm not a late-model BMW owner, nor do I have friends with one, but I'd be interested to know.

Originally Posted By: AceyMan
Am I wrong to remember that BMW LL-04 approved oils are susceptible to fuel dilution when used with "lesser" fuels found in North America, e.g. the ethanol blends?

Wouldn't that make the ESP 5w30 less attractive for those of us driving in the USofA?

Side note: Is BMW LL-04 a required approval for USA BMW's now, or is that a EU only spec? I'm not a late-model BMW owner, nor do I have friends with one, but I'd be interested to know.

1. LL-04 oils will reach "too-low" TBN more quickly than LL-01 oils. Corrosion is the likely result and E-10 fuel increases chance of corrosion vs. pure gasoline.

2. Yes but only if you run the oil long enough to make the TBN too low. Otherwise no. I'm trying M1 5W-30 ESP in my VW 1.8T because I'm changing it at between 3K and 3.5K miles in order to avoid varnish build-up and PCV system build-up. TBN is not a concern in that case.

3. I think LL-04 oils are spec'd in the U.S. only for their diesel engines because current U.S. diesel fuel has low enough sulfur that TBN loss in their diesel engines is considerably slower than in BMW gasoline engines in the U.S.

Dont know what it helps.

I did the tests with M1 ESP 5w-30. I saw the bad TBN drop running NJ ethanol gas. Sulfur too high in USA gasoline, so it isnt a useful oil unless youre running LESS than 5k OCIs (at average 26 MPG fuel burn rate).

So until we get ULSG, Ill not be running ESP in ga$$ers.

I have switched from dealer supplied Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30 (very similar to M1 ESP) to Delvac 1 LE 5W30 due to 2 consecutive bad UOAs at vehicle indicated OCI: TAN>>TBN, high metal #s ? due to corrosion from acidity. We will see on next UOA.
Like I said, I don't know why anyone would voluntarily use one of these emission controlled oils with miniscule TBNs.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Dont know what it helps.

I did the tests with M1 ESP 5w-30. I saw the bad TBN drop running NJ ethanol gas. Sulfur too high in USA gasoline, so it isnt a useful oil unless youre running LESS than 5k OCIs (at average 26 MPG fuel burn rate).

So until we get ULSG, Ill not be running ESP in ga$$ers.

Which is a shame. I have ESP 5W-30 in my daughters 07 Beetle and it has never run better. Quiet, smooth and more butt dyno to be sure. Of course it is a 30W and lighter than GC which helps a tad with the zip compared to 5W-40's. It is coming out at 5,000 miles.

Which is a shame. I have ESP 5W-30 in my daughters 07 Beetle and it has never run better. Quiet, smooth and more butt dyno to be sure. Of course it is a 30W and lighter than GC which helps a tad with the zip compared to 5W-40's. It is coming out at 5,000 miles.

Do you like changing oil every 5000 miles?
Every 10000 or 13-15000 in my case seems like less work and hassle, particularly in our circumpolar climate.
Does M1 0W40, which will last at least twice as long as M1 ESP 5W30, meet the specs in the 07 Beetle?

Charlie

Charlie I bought the ESP before I learned about the issue with US gasoline. I was one of the first if not the first to contact Mobil about it here. I am loaded up with Ultra 5W40, Castrol 5W-40, Valvoline 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40 as well as GC. Even a few changes of Quaker State 5W-40.

I stated that the Beetle runs superb on this oil. I was not going to throw it away, so 5,000 miles and it is out. No biggee. just wish it would last longer with our gasoline.

Charlie I bought the ESP before I learned about the issue with US gasoline. I was one of the first if not the first to contact Mobil about it here. I am loaded up with Ultra 5W40, Castrol 5W-40, Valvoline 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40 as well as GC. Even a few changes of Quaker State 5W-40.

I stated that the Beetle runs superb on this oil. I was not going to throw it away, so 5,000 miles and it is out. No biggee. just wish it would last longer with our gasoline.

Unless you bought the Valvoline 5W-40 by the barrel (only size HST is available in), you bought another low-SAPS M1 ESP equivalent.

"Unless you bought the Valvoline 5W-40 by the barrel (only size HST is available in), you bought another low-SAPS M1 ESP equivalent".

I realize that but the Valvoline (unlike Mobil 1 ESP) has formal VW approval for this application (502.00). Not recommended, but approved by VW which is good enough for me. I have used it for 10,000 miles OCI and cars running great..and no worries.

I realize that but the Valvoline (unlike Mobil 1 ESP) has formal VW approval for this application. Not recommended, but approved.

Which spec are we talking about here? 502.00? 504.00?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back