The Ultimate Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a mechanical oil pressure guage, with this setup with the longer filter using the Carquest Premium (wix filter) oversized for my engine. The pressure doesn't hang much at 70 psi.
Sometimes it will go past 60psi but bounce back right away to 60psi. And stay at 60.
When the engine is cold with the stock size the oil would have a hard time going to 60, but keep in mind that I wasn't using the 0W-30 syntec.
Now the guage doesn't jump all over, it seems more consistant. More flow in the filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

Yeah, you can find it at the 427/Queensway location in plenty.

Nope.
frown.gif
I went there this morning and they only had the old stuff. I even asked the counter boy to check for me in the back, and there was no 0w30 there at all. I also went to the Meadowvale Walmart as always, still only old stock. I tried Canadian Tire, as they have the Syntec 4L jugs on sale, but no 0w30 at all, not even the old stuff.

While I was there I found out that they carry Redline! But it's $18.14 per liter.
frown.gif
Even worse, they want $22.12 per liter for Royal Purple! If I continue using RP in my wife's Honda, I'll be buying it from that place in Stoney Creek which has it for $8. Although ideally, this 0w30 Syntec is the best bargain at under $7.

I'm gonna try the Square One Walmart tomorrow, but I have a feeling not many stores will have the 0w30 new stuff, since not many people buy up the old stock of the old 0w30. So they have no incentive to order more stuff if they haven't sold what they do have.

[ March 01, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

"There must be 20 Walmarts within a 50 mile radius of my house, so sooner or later I'll find one with more of this stuff in stock!"

Oh gosh, I hope my wife doesn't see that; she will want to move to Ontario.

Ya you can forgot about Canadian Tire, non of then carry it. Even if they did it could cost more then walmart.
It's to bad your having a hard time finding this oil Patman.

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
After all that running around....your probably ready for an oil change!
lol.gif

Hehe, almost!
smile.gif
My next oil change will be a short interval with Auto-rx though, then a 5 or 6k interval with Schaeffer Supreme 10w30 and 3oz of RX. After that my supply of Schaeffer oil will be gone and I'll try out the 0w30.

If there had been a Schaeffer dealer in Toronto, I would've never even searched for another oil to go in my Firebird. Maybe in a year or two they'll have someone selling in this area. It sure would be nice.

It's like a quest for me! Find the 0w30!
smile.gif

Today I went to the Square One Walmart, and they not only didn't have the new 0w30 but they had some really old stock, the SJ 0w30 with the old fashioned Syntec bottle. This stuff is from 1999 or so I think! They even still had some SJ formula TriSynthetic there too! They must not move a lot of oil.

I then drove out to Oakville, to the Trafalgar/Dundas Walmart, and low and behold they had 5 bottles of the new 0w30! 2 were buried behind old stock, and 3 more were located in another aisle way up top. I asked the guy if there was more in the back and he said no. I'll still want to try and find at least 5 more bottles though, possibly more. This stuff is a bargain at under $7, certainly cheaper than Redline up here! Let's just hope it lives up to it's hype!

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Pat, which Walmart at Heart Lake has it? I went to the one at Bovaird/Hwy 10 and all it had was the old stuff..

You didn't look hard enough!
smile.gif

I just got back from there and scored their last 5 bottles of the german 0w30. All they have left now is 3 bottles of the old 0w30. Hopefully someone will buy that up and then the store will restock with new stuff only. Although my supply is good for a while now, I have 14L of the stuff.
smile.gif

Yes, I truly am sick.
smile.gif

I just scored 7L of the German 0W-30!! I went to all the Walmarts in the westend, but it seems Patman beat me to it. He did miss one though, guess where?

Patman, when is the oil going into your sister's car? The oil I bought is also going into a Honda, but an Accord. First interval will be 6K, but I prefer not to analyze it. This will, by the way, be the first "extended" interval I ever do. Up to now it's been 3K, religiously. And to think I told my self that I would NEVER extend intervals when I began reading this site.

-Paul

BTW- Patman, I left 1L of the German stuff on the shelf for you.
wink.gif

Paul, my plan is to put the oil in her car on the weekend of the 15th, unless we get another dumping of snow like today!
frown.gif

You're very sneaky, which Walmart did you find this stuff in?
smile.gif

Last weekend the only west end Walmart I didn't go to was the Airport/Queen location in Brampton, since I figured they wouldn't get any more in, since I cleaned them out of their new stuff and there was about 20 bottles of the old stuff still. Unless there is a new Walmart I'm not aware of?
smile.gif

Believe it or not, I found a Walmart in Georgetown. About ten minutes west of Brampton off of Bovaird (I believe Bovaird changes its name to "Guelph line" or something similar).

Based on your sister's results, I might extend the interval even further.

BTW- Are there downsides to running a long interval on a synthetic, directly after switching from a mineral oil?

-Paul

Another thing;

I'll be in the east end (Scarborough/Markham/Unionville) on Friday. If anyone is searching for this oil, I can go around the Walmarts there and see if they're in stock.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I could buy it for you, if going there is out of your way.

-Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Paul:
Believe it or not, I found a Walmart in Georgetown. About ten minutes west of Brampton off of Bovaird (I believe Bovaird changes its name to "Guelph line" or something similar).

If I had not found those 5 more bottles on Monday, my plan for this weekend was to start heading out further west to Burlington, Milton, Georgetown, etc. to try and find it there!
smile.gif

quote:

BTW- Are there downsides to running a long interval on a synthetic, directly after switching from a mineral oil?

-Paul

Yes, I wouldn't recommend going beyond 5000 miles (8000km) on the very first interval here. Although I didn't take my own advice since I switched my sister's car from conventional over to Mobil 1 on the last oil change and by the time I get it changed next week she'll be over 11,000km. Although she does all long trips on the highway though, about 800km per week roughly. So her oil won't be as "beat up" as someone doing short trips.

The plan is to run the 0w30 on it's first interval for 10,000km then the second interval I will run right up until October. So she could have as much as 20,000km on that second batch.

quote:

Originally posted by Paul:
Another thing;

I'll be in the east end (Scarborough/Markham/Unionville) on Friday. If anyone is searching for this oil, I can go around the Walmarts there and see if they're in stock.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I could buy it for you, if going there is out of your way.

That's awfully nice of you, but I am going to stop buying more of this stuff for a little while since I've got enough of a supply for a while and I need to use up some of the oil in my "shrine" before I buy more.
smile.gif
By the time I need more 0w30 to fill my supply, more stores should have it in stock and then I won't need to travel all around looking for it (not that I've gone too far out of my regular travels so far)

Plus as I mentioned in another thread, my wife will kill me if I bring home any more oil in the next few weeks.
nono.gif
tongue.gif

[ March 06, 2003, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman,

Your dedication to finding this German 0W-30 stuff is amazing! When you finally run it do let us know how it holds up. Hope you do some VOA and UOA on it.

quote:

Originally posted by JB:
Patman,

Your dedication to finding this German 0W-30 stuff is amazing! When you finally run it do let us know how it holds up. Hope you do some VOA and UOA on it.

I'll definitely be doing UOAs on it, but probably not a VOA, since I'm trying to spend a bit less money this year, my budget's pretty tight. Hopefully someone else in Canada will step up to the plate and send some off for a VOA.

Yeah Patman I saw that too in Sq. 1. Kinda neat seeing the original 0-30 next to the other 2 generations of Syntec. Tons of dust on that one...you probably saw my finger prints on the bottle? Wasn't it SH though? And wasn't that one also PAO just before they switched?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Yeah Patman I saw that too in Sq. 1. Kinda neat seeing the original 0-30 next to the other 2 generations of Syntec. Tons of dust on that one...you probably saw my finger prints on the bottle? Wasn't it SH though? And wasn't that one also PAO just before they switched?

No, the bottles I looked at were all SJ formula, so they would've been the group 3 stuff.

Whooo hooo. Found 6 bottles at the Walmart on Winston/401 on Saturday! They didn't have any more in the back and had a few of the old Ow30 left.

I'd like to have enough for 2 full changes though.

Anyone know if Walmart will be bringing additional shipments of the German brand?

Paco

quote:

Originally posted by paco:
Whooo hooo. Found 6 bottles at the Walmart on Winston/401 on Saturday! They didn't have any more in the back and had a few of the old Ow30 left.

I'd like to have enough for 2 full changes though.

Anyone know if Walmart will be bringing additional shipments of the German brand?

Paco

I never thought I'd see any at the Meadowvale Walmart, and that's the one closest to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back