The trip from H-E double hockey sticks

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, I'm certain everybody is familiar with the ice storm that happened about two weeks ago. Trying to get ahead of the storm, my wife, myself and family all embarked upon our trip down east to NB at about 11:00AM the day it started, as it was initially just supposed to be snow, with the ice coming later.

This is a 1,528Km drive that has taken me from 12 hours (M5 and Mustang) to 18 hours depending on how many stops we make, how fast we drive, how traffic is....etc.

This time I set a new record: 24 hours.
frown.gif

As we got close to Kingston, the snow (and ice) had already set in. At one point there were seven cars in the ditch all within about 250 meters. The roads were treacherous. On the other side of Kingston, there was an 18-wheeler that had gone off, taking out a van and several other cars. Upon entrance to Quebec, things weren't any better. As the plows blasted by in a staggered 3-wide pattern in the west-bound lanes, we seemed to have none of that happening in the east-bound, which were icy with significant snow ridging in the centre of the lanes and between them.

About 30 minutes past Montreal an F-150 merged onto the highway with a large enclosed trailer. I was behind him for about 10 minutes when he decided that he was going to hop into the fast lane, which was moving at about 80Km/h. He hit that lane and then a few seconds later, a patch of ice. It was also windy. His trailer caught a gust on the ice and did a partial jackknife, I was on the brakes thinking they were going to cause a pile-up, but he managed to hold onto it.

We white-knuckled it through to Quebec city and beyond. Nearing the end of 20, and it being 1:30AM, we called a Best Western in Edmundston, which we were about an hour from, to book a room. Not knowing the exact route to the hotel, we used the GPS. That was a mistake.

It instructed us to exit 20 early. We then embarked upon an adventure down some back-woods highway through rural Quebec with 8-12" of snow on the road. It had not seen a plow since the mess started. In 4HI and doing about 65-70, the hour turned into 90 minutes of enhanced white-knuckling on an unfamiliar road until we finally reached our destination.

We rested for the night and awoke to slightly overcast skies, a great deal of accumulation on the truck, but no current precipitation. "GREAT!" I thought, thinking that the worst was behind us. But that was sadly not the case.

About 30 minutes after leaving Edmundston we ran into the freezing rain. This was the beginning of what would be a VERY long day, and set the stage for what we would experience next.

500Km of ice. Cars going off the road beside us, in front of us.....etc. Every 15-20 minutes having to pull over and smash the 1/2" of ice that had accumulated off the wipers so that they would function again.

As we got closer to Fredericton, I thought we were getting ahead of it. I was wrong. We had hit some sort of lesser part of the system, which was quite brief. The full storm persisted up until we were about 10 minutes outside of Moncton. Somewhere on that leg of the trip, the road had about 2" of ice on it. Pulling over to deice was in and of itself a task, as the shoulder was a sheet of ice and so slowing and stopping while trying not to get piled into was an adventure.

We arrived at our destination unscathed however. The Expedition had accumulated a 2" sheet of ice that covered the entire top of the vehicle adding a noticeable mass to it. Getting it off a few days later when the whether cleared proved to be a challenge, as fracturing it was somewhat difficult. The new LTX M/S2's that were put on just before the trip performed admirably and I'm certain contributed significantly to the safety of the trip.

The return trip ended up being much nicer. Hearing that a snow storm was slated for today in that part of the country, we left early and so only encountered insanely cold temperatures. We made it back in about 15 hours (not including the hotel stay) in comparison.

Dang.. That sucks.
This is the worst case scenario for winter driving indeed.

I went to the winter classic on new years day, we are about 2.5 hour drive normally, it was at least 5 each way due to the horrendous conditions of the road. Saw countless cars off the road and many more spots where there had been.

Happy we're both here at least to report about it!

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Dang.. That sucks.
This is the worst case scenario for winter driving indeed.

I went to the winter classic on new years day, we are about 2.5 hour drive normally, it was at least 5 each way due to the horrendous conditions of the road. Saw countless cars off the road and many more spots where there had been.

Happy we're both here at least to report about it!

Glad you made it through intact and safe.

We drove one time from St. Louis to Iowa and then got caught in a blizzard. No forecast of a blizzard when we started out. What normally took us 4.5 hours turned into an 18 hour fiasco. We made it through ok, but it was white knuckle driving.

Last edited:
We've been getting our share of freezing rain here in Alberta too, combined with wild freeze-thaw temperature swings making for some icy roadways. I currently do a nightly trucking run from Edmonton to Fort McMurray every night, pulling extended length double trailers. I have never seen so many accidents in one year, many of which being fatalities. The only thing that keeps me trucking this death highway is the large pay incentive to do so, even at that I've debated going back to hauling the Alaska highway and winter roads when they open. I actually have to leave for work right away, stay warm and stay safe out there.

This why I've thought of getting a set of tire chains.

Last year we had similar, did not realize a small snow would get worse as I climbed in elevation. Duh I know. But I thought I could get a head of it. The drive wasn't so bad actually, but wound up sitting for three hours after a truck jackknifed just ahead of us. That nominal 11 hour drive was like 14 the first day and another 4 the next.

Glad you made it safely home from your trip!

I know how you feel somewhat. About 15 years ago, my wife and I were driving from Alabama to WV at Christmas and we had to drive through an ice storm. The trip normally took 8 hours and it ended up being 12-13. We had about 1-2 inches of ice on our Acura when we arrived in WV. At one point in Alabama, we had to turn around on the interstate and go backwards down the on-ramp, since the interstate was closed.

Glad you made it safe. I had a similar experience once driving from southern Wisconsin to St. Louis over the Thanksgiving weekend. Freezing rain turned the interstate into a skating rink, forcing us to find a place to spend the night. The worst part for me was, like you, I had my family along and my kids were quite young at the time.

@OVERKILL:

I can feel the stress just from the description. One reason why I am always a bit leery of GPS directions. What you mention seems to be a common occurrence even on currently updated systems.

One thing I noticed was that with the exception of that one guy in the Ford P/U with trailer, you didn't seem to encounter any idiot drivers along your long trip. Where I'm at in the USA I doubt you would find the same situation when it comes to drivers.

I used to drive the Primary lake effect snow belt by cleveland daily.

Now Enter snow tires and awd subaru. I dont worry much about myself.. just people around me.

I had quite a few days with 2-3 hours to go 10miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
@OVERKILL:

I can feel the stress just from the description. One reason why I am always a bit leery of GPS directions. What you mention seems to be a common occurrence even on currently updated systems.

One thing I noticed was that with the exception of that one guy in the Ford P/U with trailer, you didn't seem to encounter any idiot drivers along your long trip. Where I'm at in the USA I doubt you would find the same situation when it comes to drivers.

We have our share, I just figured most of them had already made their way into the ditch, LOL!
grin.gif

I saw a VW Golf, coming the other way, lose it and go 100ft into the snow in the median in Quebec. They hit so hard they threw snow 30ft in the air.

I had one guy in NB (on the Fredericton/Moncton section) pretty much lose all visibility and went off the road into a snow bank in front of me. That was hairy trying to avoid them. I was thankful for the generous shoulders on the trans-Canada at that point.
smile.gif

What was really neat was that today, on the way back, I saw two vehicles, a Durango and a Mazda Protege5, that were still in the median from two weeks ago. The Durango had rolled, had no windows in it and had perhaps been on fire (I distinctly remember seeing this one on the way down), the 5 looked fine
21.gif
I figure that perhaps they were out of province vehicles.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The Expedition had accumulated a 2" sheet of ice that covered the entire top of the vehicle adding a noticeable mass to it. Getting it off a few days later when the whether cleared proved to be a challenge, as fracturing it was somewhat difficult.

Obligatory:
How-Flamethrowers-Work-2.jpg

I could have used one of these earlier today.

Mate, I am in awe...

the most harrowing ice experience I had was the Primary School ringing to say that the road between here and Bathurst was about to close for snow/ice, and my daughter was on the other side...I could only just traverse the vehicle to get the hubs locked in, and the trip is like 30km....(admittedly, better hal didn't tell me she suspected a dodgy batter until we were committed).

kudos...

This begs the question. Was there a life and death situation involved for you to have to make that trip?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This begs the question. Was there a life and death situation involved for you to have to make that trip?

That depends on whether you consider my wife spending the first Christmas together with her mother in 10 years life or death
wink.gif
I mean it could be.... LOL!
grin.gif

That is a long drive with that special kind of stress you feel driving in those conditions. It wears on you for sure. Glad you made it with no damage to you or your wife or the Expedition! What year Expedition are you running?

Trip planning and weather conditions play a major factor to determine if its a Go.... or No Go situation.

Back