The tire shop comes through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got the two new Firestone SZ50s on today. It took the tire dealer a good couple of weeks to get me the replacements (even though only one tire was bad) since the model is being discontinued. Nice to know the stuck with it rather than simply telling me they couldn't find any.

Coincidentally, the wife took her Pathfinder to this shop today. A couple of weeks ago she had run over a hunk of metal that ruined the right rear tire. I swapped it for the spare but now needed the spare tire mounted on the alloy wheel (the spare was on a plain old steel wheel) and obviously needed to replace the spare. He could have sold her a new tire and charged mounting/balancing, etc etc and we wouldn't have blinked. I fully expected that would be the case. Instead, he remembered he had two barely used (less than 5,000 miles )Bridgestone Duelers in that size and broke up the pair to sell her one and save us a few bucks. If that wasn't enough, he didn't charge for mounting and balancing because their prices always include M/B! Not only did he save us a good 30-40 bucks on the tire but the mounting and balancing was on the house.

I'm extremely pleased to have found a local shop that I can trust. I feel confident that they not only appreciate my business but also take pride in their work/products and guard their reputation and good name. I've not used this shop for repairs or maintenance other than tires or alignments but based on this experience I will not hesitate to do so in the future.

too bad there isn't a shop like that near me.

good job finding that shop
smile.gif

Alot of tires come with a road hazzard warranty for occasions such as that. I bought a set of Uniroyals from a GM dealer and blew one out after hitting a loose manhole cover. I fully expexted to have to buy a new one but it was covered under the road hazzard warranty. Pro-rated of course but it's better than nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
Alot of tires come with a road hazzard warranty for occasions such as that. I bought a set of Uniroyals from a GM dealer and blew one out after hitting a loose manhole cover. I fully expexted to have to buy a new one but it was covered under the road hazzard warranty. Pro-rated of course but it's better than nothing.

If you don't have road hazard, the tire dealer is likely to declare any problems ''road hazard'' and refuse your warranty. I have had both a BF Goodrich and Goodyear dealers refuse to honor a warranty when a tire developed a soft spot on the side wall. They didn't even offer to pro rate it. In both cases, I did not remember any dramatic encounters that would have ruined a tire.

Neither Goodyear or BF Goodrich are on the list when I look at tires, and certainly not my local dealer. The local BF Goodrich dealer has since gone out of business.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:

That's cool. Like you said, a pro-rated coverage is better than nothing. In my wife's case, the road hazard wouldn't have made a difference since a rather large chunk of metal (looked like the fat part of a tablespoon) was stuck into the tread. I doubt road hazard warranties cover riding over objects that puncture the tire. I guess I should have thought to ask though. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:

quote:

I doubt road hazard warranties cover riding over objects that puncture the tire.

that's what i would define as a road hazard.

I certainly wouldn't have turned down a warranty replacement but realisticly I didn't see (and really still don't) how one can expect a tire company to be responsible for someone driving over something that puncures the tread
dunno.gif
. If someone were to run over those spikes they use in parking lots to keep people from going in the exit, would anyone really think that should be covered? Where does the tire company responsibility end?

I can see things like a shifted belt due to a bad tire, a bubbled sidewall or cupping of the tread but I honestly can't expect a company to pay for my (or in this case, my wife's) misfortune of having driven over something in the road. I wonder how much of the cost of new tires is related to interpretation of the road hazard warranty?

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

I can see things like a shifted belt due to a bad tire, a bubbled sidewall or cupping of the tread but I honestly can't expect a company to pay for my (or in this case, my wife's) misfortune of having driven over something in the road. I wonder how much of the cost of new tires is related to interpretation of the road hazard warranty?

A relatively small percentage of tires get damaged to badly to be repaird by road hazards. A road hazard warranty doen't cost the tire company a lot per tire.

Shifted belt, bubbled sidewall etc are manufacturing defects. Running over something and puncturing the tire is road hazard damage. That's why many companies charge extra for road hazard warranties.

OTOH, If you run a police road block and shed your tires in their spike stips, that's probably covered under some abuse clause.

Thats exactly right/ You pay extra for road hazzard warranty. Its just that, FOR ROAD HAZZARDS! Side wall or tread separations come under regular warranty.
Glad I paid for it when purchasing tires for wifes car. She hit something at scene of accident from night before. Tire went down. Would you believe we found a complete brake disk in the tire? Largest "NAIL" I ever saw anyone pick up in a tire
In contrast, a parade float lost a mounted xmas tree in front of me and my truck tire ran it over. Later found about three inch piece of metal rod imbedded in the tire. Cost me for repair and now I am stuck with a patched tire to haul a camper around with. Not my idea of a good thing. Makes me want to buy my truck tires at Wallyworld for the road hazzard. My usual tire dealer doesnt offer one. But, Wallyworld is a pain to get anything done. Three hour wait to get a tire balanced. And they don't offer the tires I want on my PSD.

[ July 16, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Bubbanewf ]

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
I can see things like a shifted belt due to a bad tire, a bubbled sidewall or cupping of the tread but I honestly can't expect a company to pay for my (or in this case, my wife's) misfortune of having driven over something in the road.
So you agree that when a bulge develops in the side wall it is a manufacturing defect? As I mentioned in a earlier post, but B.F. Goodrich and Goodyear have called such problems road hazard and denied warrantee to me.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
So you agree that when a bulge develops in the side wall it is a manufacturing defect? As I mentioned in a earlier post, but B.F. Goodrich and Goodyear have called such problems road hazard and denied warrantee to me.

Yes, I would agree. I wouldn't blame you one bit for never buying another B.F. Goodrich or Goodyear tire again.

For the record gang....I didn't pay for a road hazard warranty on the tires in question, they were the OE tires. I'm pretty sure the OEs do come with a pro-rated road hazard warranty but in the end it probably wouldn't have made much a difference. We were able to get a great deal on a barely used Bridgetone Dueler to use as the spare.

Sidewall bulges are indeed sometimes caused by road hazards.

If a tire impacts an object, it is possible to break the ply cords. What results is a radial bulge about the width of a finger. This should be suspected if this wasn't there before. If this type of bulge was the result of manufacturing, it would be there from the beginning.

It is also possible that a road hazard, such as a nail puncture, resulting in a leak and running the tire underinflated, will result in a separation in the ply cords.

Hope this helps.

quote:

pro-rated road hazard warranty

they don't. car companies get the tires for little to nothing and it wouldn't be in their best interests to offer a warranty other than what the manuf. has established. It's all in the warranty paperwork that comes with the car.

tire manuf. are hoping you'll purchase that same tire again at an inflated price b/c it's O.E.

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:

quote:

pro-rated road hazard warranty

they don't. car companies get the tires for little to nothing and it wouldn't be in their best interests to offer a warranty other than what the manuf. has established. It's all in the warranty paperwork that comes with the car.

tire manuf. are hoping you'll purchase that same tire again at an inflated price b/c it's O.E.

Shoot, maybe if the tire and car mfrs would quit conspiring to install the cheapest, nastiest, barely legal rubber on new cars, then they might actually be able to build some brand loyalty. On pretty much every one of the new cars I've ever bought, the OEM tires were pathetic shells of what they should have been. My OEM experiences have left me deeply suspicious of Goodyear and totally unwilling to ever purchase any form of Dunlop rubber. OK, they effectively maximized their short-term profit, but have disqualified themselves from many future sales. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way. OEMs as replacements??? Never. Not at any price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back