The tale of gas cans continues

I need to shop for a regular, unsafe gas can. Mine has some sort of horizontal center divider in the spout that lets air travel in while gas is pouring out, and it makes for a very hard-to-manage stream, since the spout is rigid and set at a permanent, and inappropriate angle. I love dousing the outside of my mower with gas. Now THAT'S safe!

The tiny gas can I used to use for pre-mix had a plastic trigger on the spout that soon froze in place. I finally got p*ssed and squeezed it with pliers one day, and it's been an open spout ever since. Wow, are these things safe or what?
AFAIK the "unsafe" cans are not available these days. However, spout kits are available on Amazon to make the "safe" ones unsafe. I know a guy who did this recently ;)

Screenshot_20210407-071928_Chrome.jpg

Another example of trying to tell us we have a problem that really isn't there and then telling us how to fix it. I am convinced some congressman had a brother that owned the design or something?

These new cans are the worst. I would buy the metal Eagle cans or the VP cans that are used for motocross racing (although VP says that they are not approved for fuel). I agree with other that I have spilled for fuel trying to use a new can than I have in all my previous years using an old dangerous, explosive, and leak prone can.

I've changed over to the 5 gal. cans like motocross and other racers use. No more hokey homeowner cans. And inside the SUV they go inside a contractor 50 gal. bag for extra leak/smell insurance.
If you are using the VP jugs you should check out the spill proof cap. You just turn it upside down, set it on top of the opening and push down. It shuts off when the tank is full.

Those CARB-spouts cause so much gas spillage when I try to use them - particularly the 5 gallon sizes - that they are probably worse for the environment than the old fashioned cans and spouts.
Amen! Mine always dribble right around the sliding part of the sleeve. Hate 'em. Ironic that more gas is spilled with the "environmentally friendly" cans than the old ones.

The last two cans that I purchased were Eagle 5 gallons. There are numerous companies making spouts to make the idiot cans useable.
I personally own one of these for a 5 gallon plastic can. I found this can at a Walmart gas station laying in the grass near the pumps late at night. Apparently someone got irate with the safety spout and said "NOPE!" It obviously had only been used once. I used it one time just for giggles. It leaked everywhere.

So I bought this exact spout at my local farm store. It fit perfectly and has never leaked a drop in the three years I've had it (I use it pretty frequently because I hate stale fuel). I will say this though: I own another 1 gallon plastic can and bought one of these for it also. It does NOT fit well on that can. I tried every piece that came in the kit. I think it has something to do with the odd way the can itself is threaded, but it failed nonetheless. I kept it as a spare in case the spout breaks on my 5 gallon can. I'd definitely recommend this spout, but with a YMMV clause...just in case.

In case you have one of the lesser brand cans that are essentially unusable, they can be modded to be functional (see vid below). However I still prefer the free flowing spout and air vent linked above.

Give it to the .govt and lawsuits to make a $5 gas container cost you $25.
Yep, I NEVER spilled gas with my old cans. I actually took pride in that. New cans I have never NOT spilled gas. I mean a decent amount too. They obviously don't care, didn't test, or just combination of TERRIBLE design work. Glad I'm not the only one..........but is the EPA even aware of this? I think we all should take the time to contact the EPA.

Oh and by the way thanks, I have name my new gas can "Pass gas"!! Hahahhahahaa :LOL: (y)

I have a few flavors of the CARB approved gas cans. All but the No-Spill brand are total junk.
As the old ones fail, I replace them with these No-Spill ones. Best plastic gas can on the market IMO.
View attachment 53267
Do you rip out the FMD mesh inside the neck? I don't appreciate having to fill at half-speed or slower.
Also I'm used to putting the nozzle down into the can not hover it just inside the neck.

Do you rip out the FMD mesh inside the neck? I don't appreciate having to fill at half-speed or slower.
Also I'm used to putting the nozzle down into the can not hover it just inside the neck.
My no-spill didn't come with that plastic mesh but it looks like it can be removed. Go to 4:30 to watch him pull it out.

My no-spill didn't come with that plastic mesh but it looks like it can be removed. Go to 4:30 to watch him pull it out.

I actually just pulled mine out after not realizing what would happen at the pump with a full force nozzle all the way down in the nect=k. Now I need to wash my shoes.

The problem with any gas can, is the lack of a good way to ground it while filling it at a gas station. You always want to have the nozzle in contact with the container, and try to ground yourself as well before fueling and after. Same when pouring from the container, if there is a static spark then there can be a problem. So even with using a funnel make sure something on the gas can touches it. Yeah even if everything is plastic.
I always worry about the plastic container rupturing at the seams especially if it expands, its a good idea to let them vent a small amount for heat expansion or barometric pressure changes.

The No-Spill are the best cans around. The nozzles work great.
I don't have a problem with the new mesh insert. It does take a little more care when filling to avoid splashes/splatter.

Back