The Return of User Replaceable Batteries in Mobile Devices

There are sensors that show water ingress into the iPhone.

Maybe in a perfect world a iPhone gets dropped into water and survives. But if that iPhone had been dropped several times beforehand or otherwise treated poorly then that changes things.

As for aftermarket stuff, there have been numerous cases where aftermarket chargers as an example had caused fires. A lot of variables in play here.

At least with my Apple devices, I almost always use a cable with Apple's approvals. They can be remarkably cheap, and I suspect Apple doesn't really make money off of the "Made for iPhone/iPad/IPod" licensing. Not necessarily for power sources though, but I'm rather particular about what I use even if it's not something with a USB or Apple certification.

The biggest issue is that the seals are made with adhesives. They dry out over time and as you note that might be degraded through wear, use, previous water exposure, etc. It's certainly not going to be like a diver watch using positive silicone seals.

The easiest thing to show water exposure is right there at SIM card slot. Turns red when exposed to water. Apple will refuse to service any device that shows any liquid contact indicator has been exposed to water, or it's been removed. Even without any damage. I haven't seen that turn red on any Apple device, but I bought an Amazon Fire HD 8 for my kid and once that got wet. Gave a message that it wouldn't charge until it sensed no more moisture at the port. But it still worked and eventually the warning went away. But I'm thinking it was probably logged in its internal diagnostics and would have been an issue in case of a warranty claim. I think Apple has a similar electronic moisture sensor.

No, not the S8 that I know of, I just did a search and they show using a heat gun to get the back off. Also, water resistance of 4.5 feet compared to iPhone which is 18 feet is a huge difference.
I think the key here is let the consumer decide. The public didnt care and why replaceable batteries left the market. It was features over replaceable battery.
Thing is does the water resistance really matter THAT much in practical use? I'd say most people would much rather deal with looking for a phone in 4' of water rather than 18', bwahaha. My G-Shock Rangeman is rated for 200 meter depth, but not like I'll ever need to rely on that. The downside to that sort of thing is having to rely on the manufacturer for any trustworthy repair done as in most cases that seal is compromised the moment it's tampered with compared to the factory assembly.

Yeah, but this is where free choice rules, not mandates. If the public cared and if it was a selling point the product would exist.
As far as Apple nothing could be further than the truth. Their operating systems are supported for more generations than any of their competition by a wide margin.
But like I said, in a forum like this and others like it, those are the only ones who do care but the vast majority of the public could care less. Your 2nd gen SE would have be long dead if it was another cell phone manufacturer.

Making predictions on the future is fruitless. I want the latest features and your choice it does enough which is fine. I can remember people saying the same thing with personal computers back in the 1990s. "with this hard drive you will never need more storage, this much memory is overkill ... ect ect... those computers wouldnt run anything less than 7 years later and be WAY behind in speed jsut a couple years later.

Todays cell phones have GPS no longer need for a Garmin, the public wants 5g that didnt even exist roughly 3 years or so back.
The list endless. My iPhone coupled with my Apple Watch is a medical device, tracking device, the new iPhone can contact satellites out in space if there is an emergency and you have no cell phone service. This is incredible and didnt exist until iPhone 14. You have an SOS device on your iPhone that doesnt need cell service.
My watch runs ECGs on my heart, Keeps track of my respiration and heart rate while I sleep and sends that information to my phone, if something doesnt seem right it will turn the ECG/EKG into a PDF and I can send this information to my doctor. Soon maybe to come will be blood pressure monitoring and possibly glucose.

I can ride my motorcycle the Iphone GPS transfers the directions to my watch, barely even have to look at the watch screen, it pings my wrist when I need to make a turn.

Just discussing here and why I say a free market works, let the public decide. There use to be this country called the USSR ... but no politics here when almost everything was controlled and even produced by the government including health care. The USSR doesnt exist anymore. (no politics intended) :)
Technology can of course be fantastic for many things in life, but putting so much trust into that sort of thing can be costly long term. As in letting technology monitor every single thing you do every minute of the day puts a ton of info out there that shouldn't be. I will say you should be a paid spokesperson for Apple, bwahaha. Personally have never been impressed with the build quality, design or tech integration of any of their products. I do think they are appropriate if you're 70 where much technology/customization isn't needed as that's where IMBHO the Android platform simply dominates.

Regarding a duhPhone contacting satellites in an emergency situation... how much battery do you think that would eat up as most phones get drained pretty quickly just searching for the closest tower?!?

Last edited:
Regarding a duhPhone contacting satellites in an emergency situation... how much battery do you think that would eat up as most phones get drained pretty quickly just searching for the closest tower?!?
???
Do you think this is a bad feature?
A phone that can use satellites if no cell coverage?

Do an internet search for the people that used it, they are happy they are alive.

BTW every high end phone manufacturer is trying to keep up with Apples cell phone innovations.

There is a reason why Apple USA market share is equal to all other manufacturers combined and as much as 100% more than its closest competitor Samsung.

Technology can of course be fantastic for many things in life, but putting so much trust into that sort of thing can be costly long term. As in letting technology monitor every single thing you do every minute of the day puts a ton of info out there that shouldn't be. I will say you should be a paid spokesperson for Apple, bwahaha. Personally have never been impressed with the build quality, design or tech integration of any of their products. I do think they are appropriate if you're 70 where much technology/customization isn't needed as that's where IMBHO the Android platform simply dominates.

More of an anti-Apple rant than anything technically useful. As are your previous posts on the same topic.

???

Do an internet search for the people that used it, they are happy they are alive.

BTW every high end phone manufacturer is trying to keep up with Apples cell phone innovations.

There is a reason why Apple USA market share is equal to all other manufacturers combined and as much as 100% more than its closest competitor Samsung.
Opinions vary, but after having used several that belong to family members I was far from impressed. I would never claim Samsung is trying to keep pace as the modern Android platform is stellar.

It's easy to sound like a spokesman to someone like yourself who discredits one of the most successful companies in the USA, never mind the incredible tablets and computer systems they turn out and the fact that there is a more then good chance you or people in your family doctors use Apple systems.

Its ok that you do not like them and never would own one but your way of discrediting them is baseless and to be honest shows ignorance as far as the company, the products, the integration, the demographics and build quality.

Example, you think they are approbate for those over 70 yet it's the younger, more educated and affluent in the 24 to 35 age group that is Apple biggest customers. Enough said but had to respond about the "spokesperson" in your comment. I only speak in truth, facts, you on the other hand were falsely insinuating the latest feature SOS could be useless because it will burn up battery power without knowing how the system works.

https://serpwatch.io/blog/apple-customer-demographics/

There is Apple, then there is all others combined. Here are your age groups.
Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 9.14.03 AM.jpg

At least with my Apple devices, I almost always use a cable with Apple's approvals. They can be remarkably cheap, and I suspect Apple doesn't really make money off of the "Made for iPhone/iPad/IPod" licensing. Not necessarily for power sources though, but I'm rather particular about what I use even if it's not something with a USB or Apple certification.

The biggest issue is that the seals are made with adhesives. They dry out over time and as you note that might be degraded through wear, use, previous water exposure, etc. It's certainly not going to be like a diver watch using positive silicone seals.

The easiest thing to show water exposure is right there at SIM card slot. Turns red when exposed to water. Apple will refuse to service any device that shows any liquid contact indicator has been exposed to water, or it's been removed. Even without any damage. I haven't seen that turn red on any Apple device, but I bought an Amazon Fire HD 8 for my kid and once that got wet. Gave a message that it wouldn't charge until it sensed no more moisture at the port. But it still worked and eventually the warning went away. But I'm thinking it was probably logged in its internal diagnostics and would have been an issue in case of a warranty claim. I think Apple has a similar electronic moisture sensor.
When fast charging first became available to Apple, to do so, the cable and charger was over $75. When Anker had said available aftermarket, $45. All for what came in the box on every Android, very silly. Today, yes, there are 3 for $9 Mfi cables and a $14 usb-c or PD type charger.

I'd be for replaceable batteries.

It's easy to sound like a spokesman to someone like yourself who discredits one of the most successful companies in the USA, never mind the incredible tablets and computer systems they turn out and the fact that there is a more then good chance you or people in your family doctors use Apple systems.

Its ok that you do not like them and never would own one but your way of discrediting them is baseless and to be honest shows ignorance as far as the company, the products, the integration, the demographics and build quality.

Example, you think they are approbate for those over 70 yet it's the younger, more educated and affluent in the 24 to 35 age group that is Apple biggest customers. Enough said but had to respond about the "spokesperson" in your comment. I only speak in truth, facts, you on the other hand were falsely insinuating the latest feature SOS could be useless because it will burn up battery power without knowing how the system works.

https://serpwatch.io/blog/apple-customer-demographics/

There is Apple, then there is all others combined. Here are your age groups.
View attachment 175475
Years ago, it was mainly the USA and China, where Apple had a significant market share, but not even close to 50% like it seems now. The entire world cannot afford the Apple premium. Then again even Apple discounts past models, I got the 13 Pro 256 the day the 14 came out for $309 from Verizon Wireless. Even eBay could never have touched that for a new in box legit iPhone. Thanksgiving 2018 we got the Xs for $249 (only 64gb).

Years ago, it was mainly the USA and China, where Apple had a significant market share, but not even close to 50% like it seems now. The entire world cannot afford the Apple premium. Then again even Apple discounts past models, I got the 13 Pro 256 the day the 14 came out for $309 from Verizon Wireless. Even eBay could never have touched that for a new in box legit iPhone. Thanksgiving 2018 we got the Xs for $249 (only 64gb).
Much of the world can not afford any premium cell phone or product. USA is the number one destination for all premium products from manufacturers all over the world, including automobiles. Many products of which are not even offered for sale in their own home country.
Hopefully it stays this way or we got problems *LOL*!!

I am almost 100% certain that if Apple announced replaceable batteries on their devices tomorrow, the Apple fanboys would instantly forget about their "worries" such a feature might bring. It would've been hailed as another great Apple innovation.
This phenomenon does extend to other markets. BMWs brand name is valuable like Apple's is. Why else did they offer a free loaner car for months even years, to anybody who wanted one, during the Takata airbag scandal? No one else did, except Honda, and Honda rushed repairs to cancel loaners. BMW M cars are still exciting, but even they have slapped the letter M onto non M cars, to leverage their image.

???

My understanding on the emergency messaging from an iPhone 14 is that it’s more like how SPOT emergency beacon works. Maybe a bit more advanced as one has the ability to give more info such as the circumstances. However, complaining about the battery drain would seem to be silly. It’s not. As if it’s constantly connecting to satellites. I have heard of people in vehicle accidents being located because of an automatic connection after detecting a traumatic event.

I am almost 100% certain that if Apple announced replaceable batteries on their devices tomorrow, the Apple fanboys would instantly forget about their "worries" such a feature might bring. It would've been hailed as another great Apple innovation.
Wouldnt that make sense?
Apple is known to do things correctly, I assume they will come up with a way to replace the battery that no one in here expects.
If they cant, I would LOVE to see a product offered overseas at some type of disadvantage while we in the USA and rest of the world can enjoy a better product. One theory with replaceable batteries would be to make them difficult to reproduce by third parties and the OEM makers have another revenue stream with battery replacements.
Im sure you do know this affects Android users as well. The "fanboy" thing is getting old. This battery stuff is coming from the EU with a lower income level than the USA. One in which I guess, people keep products longer then us throw away Americans.

Wouldnt that make sense?
Apple is known to do things correctly, I assume they will come up with a way to replace the battery that no one in here expects.
If they cant, I would LOVE to see a product offered overseas at some type of disadvantage while we in the USA and rest of the world can enjoy a better product. One theory with replaceable batteries would be to make them difficult to reproduce by third parties and the OEM makers have another revenue stream with battery replacements.
Im sure you do know this affects Android users as well. The "fanboy" thing is getting old.

The fanboy thing is very much relevant. Your statement that if Apple does it, it will be done correctly proves my point. Apple does many, many things incorrectly.

Also, I'm fully aware this affects Android devices as well, but you don't see them whining about it as much because they remember Androids having this feature and still having water resistance.

My understanding on the emergency messaging from an iPhone 14 is that it’s more like how SPOT emergency beacon works. Maybe a bit more advanced as one has the ability to give more info such as the circumstances. However, complaining about the battery drain would seem to be silly. It’s not. As if it’s constantly connecting to satellites. I have heard of people in vehicle accidents being located because of an automatic connection after detecting a traumatic event.

BTW just discussing, at first I got you mixed up with someone else. SO now this post is all messed up *LOL*

Edited =

The phone does not keep track of anything until the point of you manually sending an SOS or if you have the crash detection enabled, the moment its sensors detect a crash. Possibly a fall too not sure. But the only time you are in contact with anything is when you hit that SOS and start looking for a satellite.

It works so well every major cell phone manufacturer will copy it to the best of their ability. T-Mobile is "said" to be in talks with Elon Musks StarLink service in the hopes of rolling something out in the next year. Not sure what that is about yet except to say the horse is out of the barn.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

I mean, let's face it this is a pretty complete package on a new phone at no extra cost FOR NOW. I suspect two years later there will be a subscription fee. I mean even if you're out hiking or whatever the activity you can send your location to family back home so they know you are ok.

Ok, Im done, I get the "spokesmen" thing. I just believe in what the company does/the innovation of which BTW I used to hate them maybe the way you do now. In fact my family mentions my about face once I fully entered the Apple world. I guess I find the integration nice, including the Watch in which the ECG function which speeded up a Cardiac Ablation that I got Nov 2022. Every time I felt my heart racing I would do an ECG with the watch, it mindlessly then transmits to my phone, then at home I printed out the ECGs. I also messaged PDFs of them to the doctors. Cardiologist and Cardiac Electrophysiologist LOVED the pages of prints I gave them which further supported their own equipment they had me wear.

It was something they weren't detecting a lot of during office visits initially as they were frequent at night and that is where the watch helped me be proactive.

Next I am hoping the "cuff less" blood pressure monitoring comes to fruition in the next few series of watches, we will see.

Last edited:
Wouldnt that make sense?
Im sure you do know this affects Android users as well. The "fanboy" thing is getting old. This battery stuff is coming from the EU with a lower income level than the USA. One in which I guess, people keep products longer then us throw away Americans.

I’m looking into the costs for my 3rd gen iPhone SE. Cheaper than I thought with the returned part credit, which is $33. If one goes to Apple to perform a battery replacement, there’s no option to keep the old battery.

I’m looking into the costs for my 3rd gen iPhone SE. Cheaper than I thought with the returned part credit, which is $33. If one goes to Apple to perform a battery replacement, there’s no option to keep the old battery.

Very cool, that website, nice and clean. I updated my earlier reply to you, I mixed up the names of who I was replying too and thought it was you I was debating *LOL* Just wanted you to know if it sounded rude it wasnt meant to be so I edited it.
Yeah, Im shocked at the battery price, that seems the same as the early 2000's when most phones had removable batteries and the iPhone didnt even exist back then.

Very cool, that website, nice and clean. I updated my earlier reply to you, I mixed up the names of who I was replying too and thought it was you I was debating *LOL* Just wanted you to know if it sounded rude it wasnt meant to be so I edited it.
Yeah, Im shocked at the battery price, that seems the same as the early 2000's when most phones had removable batteries and the iPhone didnt even exist back then.

My comment was poorly proofread though.

I don’t know if I would do my own battery replacement. Seems risky.

Back