The Status of Headlights in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SeaJay
Most drivers today find that the headlights of a few short years ago are totally inadequate for what they want and need to drive today.

Of course, these much brighter headlights tend to blind drivers in the opposite direction, but now days it is a "me, me, me give me what I want and who cares about anybody else" society in this and other aspects.

agree 100% I used to start my job way before daylight but anymore unless I really have to be there early then I wait till it gets daylight out...I just cannot see driving with the other guys super bright headlights in my face

Originally Posted by pitzel
One of the absolute and utter tragedies is that when they converted to plastic headlamp lenses away from glass in the mid 1990s, that the industry shipped products, for many years, that suffered UV degradation. And that the car vendors do not have reasonably priced OEM replacements available.

I'm sure it doesn't cost, for example, Honda, $350 to make a headlamp lens that the Chinese vendors are selling a knock-off on eBay for $50. But clear headlights are arguably just as important as air bags in overall safety, and if proper OEM replacements can't be sourced at affordable "not outrageous profit for the OEM" prices, a lot of people unfortunately are left to operate their vehicles in an unsafe state far before the ordinary retirement interval of the asset.

I'm not sure if the lenses even shipped in brand new cars coming straight off the lot have resolved the UV degradation problem, or what accelerated aging/UV exposure testing is available. Anyone?

Remember not all plastic is the same. Sure there's a premium for buying genuine parts but still it costs money to make plastic which is resistant to abrasion and UV degradation that lasts for X period of time. If a $50 knock off lasts 3 yrs vs 6 for the OE part then the knock-off might be worth it for some.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
There is no possible way Aerodynamic headlights can ever save enough fuel to pay for their eventual replacement. Same for 8+ speed transmissions, and many other things.

Rod

Just looking... a Chrysler reman 8 speed for my car is $500 more than a Chrysler reman 4 speed transmission in a Dodge Journey.

The issue is not whether your headlights provide adequate lighting, but if they are providing adequate lighting without blinding on-coming traffic.
LEDs have really made the situation worse, much much worse.

Originally Posted by Davejam
The issue is not whether your headlights provide adequate lighting, but if they are providing adequate lighting without blinding on-coming traffic.
LEDs have really made the situation worse, much much worse.

Exactly right ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Legally "fog lights " are supposed to be off in oncoming traffic but around here they use bright high beam fog lights that light up the sky and treetops then
dim their normal lights but leave the 12 dozen other spotlights on

There's nothing inherently wrong with aerodynamic headlights, or polycarbonate lenses.

They can become issues when regulators cling to the antiquated notion that headlights are to be treated as sealed, unimpeachable units with no replaceable parts, and unrepairable. The E-code aero units I have can be fitted with new glass lenses as required. That line of thinking tacitly allows, if not encourages, OEMs to act accordingly.

The same regulators also resist efforts to address glare in a meaningful manner, and allow new technologies that will enable better focus and distribution of the greater amounts of light, in ways that can be beneficial while mitigating glare for others.

Design your systems for a 56k modem in a wireless gigabit world, and the results are predictable.

I came up with a compromise design to make everyone happy

1F754A35-5863-4F09-BC98-EB91DB10481A.jpeg

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
One of the absolute and utter tragedies is that when they converted to plastic headlamp lenses away from glass in the mid 1990s, that the industry shipped products, for many years, that suffered UV degradation.

Remember not all plastic is the same. Sure there's a premium for buying genuine parts but still it costs money to make plastic which is resistant to abrasion and UV degradation that lasts for X period of time. If a $50 knock off lasts 3 yrs vs 6 for the OE part then the knock-off might be worth it for some.

Yeah but there's almost next to no accelerated UV testing available. And none of the aftermarket outfits use such as a figure of merit. Its the traditional "cheap disposable cr** mentality" from the People's Republic vendors.

BTW, beautiful Series 2 Jaguar E-type. Definitely better lighting than on a Series 1, but the OEM bulbs on those still suck as well quite badly. Its practically mandatory to replace with something aftermarket if you ever anticipate night driving unless exclusively on lit roadways. And Lucas sucks....

I drive a lot of different cars, make it a point to and mostly European, but it still amazes me how much of a difference there is in light pattern quality, brightness (especially low beams) and auto dimmer effectiveness. LED's are great, but the extreme brightness and sharp cutoff can be a bit distracting to opposing traffic.

What is sad is that many current headlights are no better, and some are worse than a real, quality (Hella, Cibie, Bosch, Lucas) E-code. Yes, even Lucas made a very effective H4 headlight back in the day...meanwhile we here were stuck w/ sealed beams.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
One of the absolute and utter tragedies is that when they converted to plastic headlamp lenses away from glass in the mid 1990s, that the industry shipped products, for many years, that suffered UV degradation. And that the car vendors do not have reasonably priced OEM replacements available.

I'm sure it doesn't cost, for example, Honda, $350 to make a headlamp lens that the Chinese vendors are selling a knock-off on eBay for $50. But clear headlights are arguably just as important as air bags in overall safety, and if proper OEM replacements can't be sourced at affordable "not outrageous profit for the OEM" prices, a lot of people unfortunately are left to operate their vehicles in an unsafe state far before the ordinary retirement interval of the asset.

I'm not sure if the lenses even shipped in brand new cars coming straight off the lot have resolved the UV degradation problem, or what accelerated aging/UV exposure testing is available. Anyone?

Not if I have to remove the entire front end to replace it! I value my time. and some vehicles you have to remove the front bumper just to change the burner.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by 4WD
Are they ? … wish it was the lower level Super Duty ? That four light system is horrible … it is not a focused beam reaching down the roads … it's like a football stadium system

I have to face them often since they sell like crazy here and construction and oil crews use them a lot …
But have been side by side on 4 lanes and my projector bulbs reach out past them.

Ford just issued a TSB that they have to do something with the headlights.

I like the good old sealed beams in my SuperDuty and Cherokee. I put in some cheap LEDs that I borrowed from a friend in the Cherokee and they are awful.

You like sealed beams?
lol.gif

Those are known to be garbage as far as light output. The sealed beams on my cherokee resembled flashlights. Cheap LEDs will also be garbage. Get yourself a good H4 conversion kit (IPF or Hella) and some good H4 bulbs and you will be very pleased.

Agreed; In the ‘70s I was replacing the pitiful sealed beams on my cars with either Cibie or Hella H4 conversions. Sealed beams are worthless if you drive over 45 mph.

There is no possible way Aerodynamic headlights can ever save enough fuel to pay for their eventual replacement. Same for 8+ speed transmissions, and many other things.

Rod

I desperately miss the availability of Poweglide transmissions.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I came up with a compromise design to make everyone happy

Due to the lack of oil staining on that driveway it's obvious that Jaguar was just rolled into place just for the photo.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Rod

Just looking... a Chrysler reman 8 speed for my car is $500 more than a Chrysler reman 4 speed transmission in a Dodge Journey.

That works for me. Economy of scale driving down the price. Once it's used "everywhere" it tends to become cheap. [Unlike the trans in my truck which worries me if it ever breaks. Probably my last import as a result.]

Now if we could just bring back cheapo 16" tires...

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
[/quote]I desperately miss the availability of Poweglide transmissions.

lol.gif
[/quote]

Well, when you only have 2 gears, it doesn't have to hunt for the correct one very often.

I used to drive around in a '57 bel aire, handed down through 2 generations. It had the larger 7" (?) sealed beams. When halogen lamps starting coming out in the 80s, they became quickly useless, and somewhat dangerous as average road speeds at nice began to increase for everyone else. One night there was significant power outage in my hometown. It was dark, and for some reason, nobody was on the roads. Pitch black, no homes lit up, and just me cruising around in a 2-speed powerglide, silent 283 V8. The only thing you'd hear was the soft sound of air sucking into the oil-bath air cleaner. The dash in that car glowed a proud ufo-green, and the lamp windows under the gauges cast the same ufo-green onto the black/chrome dash panels below. From the outside, we would have looked like pale ghosts. The sealed beams poured a soft light, the color of a D-cell flashlight, in a shallow puddle in front of the car. Not too far, not too wide, and not too bright. It smoothly blended from safe warm light into darkness, and was a comforting friend beneath 35 mph. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
I desperately miss the availability of Poweglide transmissions.

lol.gif
[/quote]

Well, when you only have 2 gears, it doesn't have to hunt for the correct one very often. [/quote]
Transmission programming gets real easy. It's either in the wrong gear or the not as wrong gear. Reminds me of the menu at that diner in My Cousin Vinny.

Fordomatic was the same. Then the Ford's Cruiseomatic, on my '61 Fairlane mode,l gave you a choice of 2 or 3 gears with two D positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back