The Simple Oil Maintenance Plan

For one thing, when this forum started (and you were here pretty early), there were major differences between oils (brand, weight, dino, blend, synthetic, "fake" synthetic" etc...) and an extended oil change was still 6,000 miles for many.

Today's oils are just so much better, and it is to the point so long as the oil and filter are changed on a regular interval with an appropriate viscosity, you will not have an oil related problem with the engine.

Yes, some do obsess with which oil, which weight, what interval, which filter. And with some motors there may be some small differences (mostly in interval length), but over all, nothing to worry about.
After a few years here, most come to realize there really is not much difference between oils, and regular changes are what matter more.

I have never been stuck on any oil.
If one of my vehicles gets more than 2 changes with the same brand and weight oil it is because I got a great deal on a bunch of oil.
My Santa Fe is on its 4th fill of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30, just because I got it for qt.
With all the 5w-30 Rotella Truck I have in my stash (like 40 qts?), it will be a common oil for a year or so in my fleet, but once that stash is gone, I will switch to whatever synthetic I can get for the lowest price (Supertech, Quaker State, Havoline, Mobil on rebate, etc, I am not picky) and just don't worry about what oil is in the crankcase anymore.

I don't think it makes a real difference at moderate service intervals. My little sister's 140,000 mi '98 GM 2.4 Ecotec shows no sign of timing chain or oil consumption issues with 8,000-10,000 mi, 90% City OCI with standard GM Conventional, then Dexos 1 and finally Dexos 1.2 bulk its entire life. Now if you were going 15,000-20,000 like the European's it might need a more robust formulation.

It is true, some people here on BITOG overthink these decisions. But for the most part I believe it's not their fault. Either they have OCD, or maybe they are just terribly bored and need a real hobby. Actually that 2nd part would be their own doing -- obsessing over auto supplies and service intervals is not a legitimate hobby.

It is true, some people here on BITOG overthink these decisions. But for the most part I believe it's not their fault. Either they have OCD, or maybe they are just terribly bored and need a real hobby. Actually that 2nd part would be their own doing -- obsessing over auto supplies and service intervals is not a legitimate hobby.

Have you priced Bass Boats lately?

It could somewhat be due to “bike-shedding” aka Parkinson's law of triviality. It describes the tendency to devote a disproportionate amount of time and energy to solving small or trivial matters while leaving larger or more difficult matters less attended to. People tend to focus on smaller issues because they are easier to learn, understand, and figure out.

It could somewhat be due to “bike-shedding” aka Parkinson's law of triviality. It describes the tendency to devote a disproportionate amount of time and energy to solving small or trivial matters while leaving larger or more difficult matters less attended to. People tend to focus on smaller issues because they are easier to learn, understand, and figure out.

Sounds like a description of my personality.

For one thing, when this forum started (and you were here pretty early), there were major differences between oils (brand, weight, dino, blend, synthetic, "fake" synthetic" etc...) and an extended oil change was still 6,000 miles for many.

Today's oils are just so much better, and it is to the point so long as the oil and filter are changed on a regular interval with an appropriate viscosity, you will not have an oil related problem with the engine.

Yes, some do obsess with which oil, which weight, what interval, which filter. And with some motors there may be some small differences (mostly in interval length), but over all, nothing to worry about.
After a few years here, most come to realize there really is not much difference between oils, and regular changes are what matter more.

I have never been stuck on any oil.
If one of my vehicles gets more than 2 changes with the same brand and weight oil it is because I got a great deal on a bunch of oil.
My Santa Fe is on its 4th fill of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30, just because I got it for qt.
With all the 5w-30 Rotella Truck I have in my stash (like 40 qts?), it will be a common oil for a year or so in my fleet, but once that stash is gone, I will switch to whatever synthetic I can get for the lowest price (Supertech, Quaker State, Havoline, Mobil on rebate, etc, I am not picky) and just don't worry about what oil is in the crankcase anymore.
Well we can still discuss which oil is quieter than the next one and split hairs on viscosity.

I don't understand why people are concerned about using different oils.

Here is my concern about using different oils, they are not all created equal.
I know for a fact oil “X” can last 5,000+ miles and not loose any of it’s ability to protect my engine, I do not know if oil “Y” can do the same.
A oil sample would tell me if oil “Y” was still good at 5k or not, but I am not going to waste money on a oil sample just because I bought something on sale for this oil change.
I will stick with what I know and trust. Even if I have to pay more for it.

I’m a loyalist, I stick with what I know until it does me wrong, then I will find something else.

I know for a fact oil “X” can last 5,000+ miles and not loose any of it’s ability to protect my engine, I do not know if oil “Y” can do the same.
A oil sample would tell me if oil “Y” was still good at 5k or not, but I am not going to waste money on a oil sample just because I bought something on sale for this oil change.

I’m a loyalist, I stick with what I know until it does me wrong, then I will find something else.

It doesn't work that way. You are getting a different formulation every few months. They have to adjust based on supply and cost never mind the constant industry and manufacture requirement changes.

It doesn't work that way. You are getting a different formulation every few months. They have to adjust based on supply and cost never mind the constant industry and manufacture requirement changes.
Plus the only thing one really learns about the oil from a standard UOA is the TBN. These days with low sulfur fuels q the TBN is getting less and less important unless there is a mechanical issue with the engine and it’s producing large amounts of blow-by. You learn nothing about the numerous other aspects of a motor oil that lead to “protection” for an engine.

I understand that, but isn‘t Castrol going to make sure they protect their name?
Store brands are going to be all sorts of formulations meeting the minimum requirements.
But isn’t a brand such as Castrol going to do better than the bare minimum?

Plus the only thing one really learns about the oil from a standard UOA is the TBN. These days with low sulfur fuels q the TBN is getting less and less important unless there is a mechanical issue with the engine and it’s producing large amounts of blow-by. You learn nothing about the numerous other aspects of a motor oil that lead to “protection” for an engine.

A oil sample will show you the a amount of engine wear in that sample, correct?
So if oil “X” sample shows wear of 5 and oil sample “Y” shows wear of 8, couldn't someone assume that oil “Y” does not provide the same level of protection as oil “X” and then deduce from that that oil “Y” wears out sooner because all oils are going to provide the same amount of protection when new, based on meeting the minimum standards.
BUT the longevity of the oil, how quickly it shears down, how soon the viscosity improvers wear out…all of those variables will be different from brand “X” and brand “Y”.

When I sold off my father in law's late 90's Lincoln Town Car, it had 300k on the clock. The suspension was completely worn out, but the 2V 4.6 in it ran great and sounded tight and quiet. I know for a fact that it only had a handful of oil changes over its last 100k, plus it never got fancy synthetic oil as long as he owned it. Mod motors are stout.

Nothing wrong with it. Do whatever make you happy. Just understand brands are nothing more than corporations. And corporations are nothing more than a construct recognized under the law as of a group of people acting as a single entity. Brands are not a tangible, it a product tied to an organization (ie group of people) with a common goal or idea.

A oil sample will show you the a amount of engine wear in that sample, correct?
So if oil “X” sample shows wear of 5 and oil sample “Y” shows wear of 8, couldn't someone assume that oil “Y” does not provide the same level of protection as oil “X” and then deduce from that that oil “Y” wears out sooner because all oils are going to provide the same amount of protection when new, based on meeting the minimum standards.
BUT the longevity of the oil, how quickly it shears down, how soon the viscosity improvers wear out…all of those variables will be different from brand “X” and brand “Y”.
Blackstone themselves have stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results for any of the oils they have tested. A UOA is about the specific engine under the specific operating conditions, not the oil. You cannot determine comparative wear rates between oils using a $30 spectrographic analysis. It takes much more sophisticated and extensive tests to do that and to isolate the one variable of the oil. Some relevant tests include ASTM D6984, D5966, D6891, D6425, D8279, D8350. There are more depending on which engine component is being tested and other factors.

1996 Ford Mustang GT
4.6L OHC 2V V-8

0-60,000 mi
Motorcraft 5W-30 and MC FL820S
Every 5,000 mi

60,000-120,000
Motorcraft 5W-20 and MC FL820S
Every 5,000 mi

12 years and 120,000 mi odometer quits

Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 and MC FL820S
Every 6 months

After 25+ years and an estimated 250,000+ mi (who really knows) as a daily driver it's still going strong.

Tell me again why we want to overthink this?
It works for you. Enough said!

When I sold off my father in law's late 90's Lincoln Town Car, it had 300k on the clock. The suspension was completely worn out, but the 2V 4.6 in it ran great and sounded tight and quiet. I know for a fact that it only had a handful of oil changes over its last 100k, plus it never got fancy synthetic oil as long as he owned it. Mod motors are stout.
I think taxi Ford town cars were part of the study where they tested regular ol conventional at 6k intervals in the blistering VEGAS heat. All went well. That’s why certs and routine maintenance matter more than anything

1996 Ford Mustang GT
4.6L OHC 2V V-8

0-60,000 mi
Motorcraft 5W-30 and MC FL820S
Every 5,000 mi

60,000-120,000
Motorcraft 5W-20 and MC FL820S
Every 5,000 mi

12 years and 120,000 mi odometer quits

Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 and MC FL820S
Every 6 months

After 25+ years and an estimated 250,000+ mi (who really knows) as a daily driver it's still going strong.

Tell me again why we want to overthink this?
There are folks that follow similar maintenance plans and still develop oil leaks or other issues. There are too many variables: engine type, variation in build quality, etc. Two people with the same engine might get vastly different results when they both follow the same maintenance plan. Just because you've seen good results doesn't mean those results would carry over to another car or engine type.

Back