Oil for 2019 EcoBoost Mustang

A month ago, I finally bought a Ford Mustang. Found a lightly used 2019 with about 10,000 miles on it. It has the 2.3 liter 4-cylinder with turbo. I've wanted a Mustang since I was a kid back in the 1980's and foxbody SVO's were something I drooled over. On to the point.....

Upon getting home from my exciting purchase, I changed the oil using a new Motorcraft oil filter and Motorcraft 5w-30 semi-synthetic oil. I have used this oil on several vehicles over the years. No issues with it at all, but this is my first turbo engine with direct injection. I tend to drive "spirited / hard" most of the time. No track days or anything like that.

Is this oil adequate for Florida temperatures, motor type, and my driving style if its changed every 5,000 miles?

Originally Posted by atikovi
What does the owner's manual say? Don't Mustangs take 5W50?

5w-30 per the manual, 5w-50 is for the V8 engine.

Originally Posted by Alaskanmont

Seems like a high strung turbo would make better use of it than a lazy V8.

High strung ?

I have a 2019 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost, also my first turbo. I decided to go with Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend at 5,0000
oci.

Originally Posted by CT8

High strung ?

Over 300 horsepower from 2.3 liters? Seems high strung to me.

5W-30 is just fine for the average owner. I'd choose a quality synthetic.

While the Mustang ecoboost engine is not a high strung or high revving engine, it does achieve significant rod bearing loading under boost. It's good to know that the Focus RS, which also has a 2.3L ecoboost (many claim it's not the same engine, due to very minor changes) of the same engine family, the Focus RS makes a bit more power and requires a 5W-50 oil.

If you are so inclined, there are available mild tunes for your 2.3L that will solve many of the strange operational quirks and provide an amazingly more pleasant (and powerful) experience.

Maybe another one for M1 0W40 if the VVT likes it.

I wouldn't hesitate to try Valvoline Advanced ( not modern engine)

That was the best OTC Wally-World 5W30 I've have run.

It actually ran like a real, well formulated synthetic.

Great power, luggability AND Gas mileage all wrapped up.

That the best you can hope for.

Wonder why you changed the oil when you got home?

Wasn't it clean? Was there operational issues?

Guys always say on here " well I dont know what they put in there so, Im going to change it,

That is really nonsensical.

Enjoy that car! Ive been seeing those used for around 17K sounds like a deal - if you want a pony car.

Gotta kill the fake engine sound if it has it. How stupid can Ford be?

Me, I'm more of a Lotus or Alfa 4C guy. Found them to be MORE fun.

Last edited:
Motor craft makes a great filter.. cant go wrong with that. As well motor craft oil is good, how come a synthetic-blend? I think you would benefit more from a full synthetic, and there is not much of a cost difference for the benefits.

Check for rebates or look for specials... even super tech synthetic performs very well. I have a napa auto near me and always stock up on their full synthetic which is just rebadged valvoline when they run sales. 5qt jug @ $18.99

I can't find the actual Ford oil recommendations for an Ecoboost Mustang, but I would bet they recommend the Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 spec be met for its LSPI test if 5W30 is the preferred grade. There is a similar spec for XW20, think it is 945 instead of 946.

If i had the 2.3 eco in my mustang i would run 5w30 ,10w30 full syn.

In my 5.0 i use valvoline full syn 5w30.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Motor craft makes a great filter.. cant go wrong with that. As well motor craft oil is good, how come a synthetic-blend? I think you would benefit more from a full synthetic, and there is not much of a cost difference for the benefits.

Check for rebates or look for specials... even super tech synthetic performs very well. I have a napa auto near me and always stock up on their full synthetic which is just rebadged valvoline when they run sales. 5qt jug @ $18.99

Locally, I can get Motorcraft semi oil at several places around me. That's the main reason I selected it. They don't carry the full synthetic in the Mtorcraft brand. I know that I could switch over to another line of oil such as Mobil 1 EP, or Pennzoil Ulta platinum, or Valvoline advanced. Had not thought about NAPA branded oil. I'm in a car routine of 5,000 mile oil changes due to having several other vehicles to maintain. Would prefer to keep it that way, and mainly was wondering if the semi-synthetic Motorcraft would be adequate for my purpose.

5k is nothing on semi-synthetic, i used to run 5-7500k conventionial with my 2008 hyundai sonata of course that's like comparing apples to oranges between the eco boost and a 08 sonata.

i wouldn't worry a bit @ 5k intervals.

Back