2010 Fusion oil consumption increasing

Originally Posted By: bbhero
You don't think that the filter doesn't absorb anything?? It does. Good bad or indifferent it does. Period end of story. It does hold the oil too. Which is a very fair point. But to say that it doesn't add or absorb oil over its life is not accurate. weigh a filter before and after you pull it off..... Tell me there is no difference. Try it. Report back your findings.

Wait, whut?

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Remember that Ford Fusion has the large XG-2 oil filter that absorbs a fair amount of oil as well. It is a rather large filter. I had a Fusion and I had to add 3/4 of a quart every 5500 miles because of the filter absorbing so much.

hahaha

Yeah those XG-2 filters just keep eating oil !!!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
My Father had two Ford Mondeo ST220's with the 3.0 Duratec V6. Neither ever burned oil with the second one doing well over 100k.

What I find strange is Ford only ever specify a 5w30 oil for that motor in the UK with 12,500mile/12 month OCI.

What do Jaguar specify for that engine in their cars in the US?
I consider this whenever I hear about a "factory" oil recommendation. AS far as I can tell the climate in the UK is about the same as southern New England.

Oh FFS it has over 160K on it. Really?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
My Father had two Ford Mondeo ST220's with the 3.0 Duratec V6. Neither ever burned oil with the second one doing well over 100k.

What I find strange is Ford only ever specify a 5w30 oil for that motor in the UK with 12,500mile/12 month OCI.

What do Jaguar specify for that engine in their cars in the US?
I consider this whenever I hear about a "factory" oil recommendation. AS far as I can tell the climate in the UK is about the same as southern New England.

Oh FFS it has over 160K on it. Really?

Yep. Really.

I got the mileage wrong earlier. 1500 miles on oil and down 1/4" from top fill hole. I also discovered that I've got some oil underneath so i need to rule out drain plug as the source.

I'd take 1 qt in 3K any day of the week on my aging fleet
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'd take 1 qt in 3K any day of the week on my aging fleet
smile.gif

If it was a beater I would too. But it's a nice car and it's paid for. I know I'm being fussy, but hey it's my stuff. I want it right, not just good enough.

Mine are not beaters either, just high mileage. That's why we still have them. JAG XJ6, Big Bronco, F-150 4x4, Saab 9-5 2.3t. All but the F-150 are way past 150,000. Most are using a qt at around 2,500 and change at 5K.

I understand your desire. I like nice clean cars too. If the seeps and weeps are easy enough, OK I'll fix them. But, like the tranny electrical plug on the XJ6 - now un-obtanium and it's weeping. There is no fix
frown.gif

So we just have to add oil and think about a replacement someday ...
smile.gif

Stick with the Maxlife. Have you checked for any leaks? It's possible it could be something simple like a valve cover gasket. Have you changed your pcv valve lately?

As mentioned previously, a quart every 3000 miles is not the end of the world at your mileage. Just make sure to keep checking it and discount any chance it's a cheap fixable leak.
Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 FTW and the best compromise.

Hello all,

2010 Ford Fusion 3.0L duratec V6, 160k miles. Owners manual spec is 5w20

So I've put 130k of the 160k miles on this vehicle and it has had changes at factory interval of 7,500 mi. Oil consumption started increasing around 100k miles so for cost reasons I switched from various types of M1 to motorcraft 5w-20, and then 5w-30 max life semisynthetic. Fast forward to last year and I was running very short on cash and not driving much so I stretched the oci to 15k+. I'm not certain of the exact oci but I kept the oil topped off and added about 4 qt of various Dino 5w30 over the interval.
When I finally changed the oil it actually looked pretty good. It wasn't tar black as I expected, but a reasonable dark brown so I think I managed to avoid any major damage. I wanted to UOA but didn't have the funds. Such is life. Anyway I put in 6qt of Supertech 5w30 Dino and a new motorcraft FL500S filter and went on my way.

3000mi later it has burned a quart, which isn't bad, but it was doing a quart every 6000mi on the maxlife.

Opinions please. Should I try going to 5w20 maxlife, 5w30 maxlife, or some other grade. FL summer is coming so I was considering 10w30. Maybe the M1 HM stuff.

Oh and I use motorcraft filters always
Use the oil that went 6000 on 1 quart.

Back