The rarely seen Mobil Special, TDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Lots to choose from that's for sure.

I do like having the Mobil Super Synthetic available. Priced where I more or less like it to be.

Thought it was discontinued … it was one of 3 Dino Mobil’s BIL used for 400k 5.3L But last oil in was just called Super … all changes were 5k …

Last place I remember seeing Mobil Special was a Target store some time ago. The automotive section at Target is so sad now I hardly ever browse it any more.

Originally Posted By: Garak
They both need to chill out a bit. How many different 5w-30 SN/GF-5 offerings can one possibly need?

Well, you'd obviously need M1, M1 EP, M1 AP and M1 HM. You'd also need M1 AFE 0W-30 for the adventurous.
Not too sure how the average buyer is supposed to decide which would be the top pick for his engine as he uses it.
Too much choice isn't a bad thing but may be confusing for many DIY buyers.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I do like having the Mobil Super Synthetic available. Priced where I more or less like it to be.

We don't even see that stuff here. It's not even on the Imperial Oil sell sheets. As for conventional, we just get the one tier from Mobil, ours is called Mobil Super 1000, with 2000 being a synthetic blend HM, and 3000 being usually a blend or a synthetic in very large bulk quantities for shop service fills.

fdcg27: When it comes to oils meeting basically all the same specification, it gets to be a bit much. QSGB, PYB, and FS 5w-30 are all completely interchangeable. At least M1 0w-30 AFE is a little different and makes sense. I haven't seen AP up here, yet. I can't speak for others, though. When AFE is on the same shelf with vanilla M1, they tend to be the same price. EP is higher, of course.

Garak,
I was being facetious.
There is huge overlap in the product offerings of SOPUS, but my point was that XOM does the same.
The difference is that SOPUS is the big player in conventional oils while XOM seems content to concentrate on the more profitable synthetic labeled end of the market, which M1 rules.

My vision gets a bit clouded about it though, because we don't see quite the same overlap up here with the M1 line. We only finally got M1 HM up here; we hadn't had it here for years.

To complicate things further, Mobil super 1000 blue cap in Canada was guaranteed to 7500kms and then they changed it to UP TO 7500kms with a red cap and labeled it premium.

I do like Mobil Super High Mileage and Mobil Super Synthetic. I like the MSS add pack and that it is a quiet, smooth-running oil. I wish that at AAP I could choose which filter I want in the oil & filter special though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back