The parts shortage bit me

Man, what a horrible story. I would be freaking out and I wouldnt take it anymore.
Based on other posts (and former NY homeowner) NY Lemon Law is on your side. Really your choice, you like the truck and willing to put up with Ford to fix something that may become a lifetime issue/issues or get your money back. Its really your call.
schwinney posted the link to the NYS AG SITE.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but I remembered this due to seeing it on a work order.

I had to take this truck in once because I was getting on the I90 thruway at the Rt-77 entrance heading westbound. This was probably July or so. I was doing about 40 mph, and the road straightened out. I goosed the PowerBoost wanted to let it run and have a little fun.

The truck starting shaking and jerking and check engine light started flashing. Lasted about 1-2 minutes then went away and never came back. Dealer said they pulled codes but nothing was wrong and nothing was out of place.

Maybe getting rid of it is the best course, too many weird things have happened and my dumb memory is forgetting.

When I worked at a Peterbilt dealer we had a very large trucking company headquartered just down the street(it was Springfield, MO you can do the math if you'd like) We would pull parts off new trucks on the lot and have requested parts stripped from a truck on the assembly line when necessary. It's fascinating how different the light truck and passenger car industry is from heavy trucks.
That is a different type of business and clientele.
Quite often the techs are just doing what they are instructed to do. Although theres plenty of blame to go around in these scenarios its not always at the discretion of the tech, they often arent calling the shots. If they dont follow the rules they dont get paid.
They are employees doing what they are told.

Covid cars are sometimes a nightmare. Sounds like you got a prime example. I would do anything possible to never get it back before you take a big loss.
I am starting to see this. Quite unfortunate actually, cause you think you're doing right by getting something new and wham, it starts to really give you the beans.

I can understand being frustrated but the parts shortage and the initial build quality are the least frustrating part of your story IMO. Why does it take 2, 3, 4, 5, 6x for the "factory trained" service techs to diagnose and fix something? Why do they only order a new module after trying to give you back the truck 3x, unfixed, and after literally doing nothing additional other than you refusing to take it 3x?

This is the kind of nonsense that leads to the reputation of dealership service departments. So many people think "factory trained" means they are top-notch when in reality these jokers can have an entire career there not fixing anything. Just another reason to avoid the dealership service department if possible and certainly for all out-of-warranty work.

I'm sorry you're having TWO major issues - a poorly built truck AND an incompetent service department.
I've noticed, many YouTube channels are nothing more than people defending and saying/parroting what a dealer says to do, and why.

Enter any dealer service techs..

I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but I remembered this due to seeing it on a work order.

I had to take this truck in once because I was getting on the I90 thruway at the Rt-77 entrance heading westbound. This was probably July or so. I was doing about 40 mph, and the road straightened out. I goosed the PowerBoost wanted to let it run and have a little fun.

The truck starting shaking and jerking and check engine light started flashing. Lasted about 1-2 minutes then went away and never came back. Dealer said they pulled codes but nothing was wrong and nothing was out of place.

Maybe getting rid of it is the best course, too many weird things have happened and my dumb memory is forgetting.

I would get rid of it. Buy a regular F150 with 5.0

I lost count at how many times you visited a dealer for the same stuff and commend you for your patience.

I would have been done after the 3rd visit.

I haven't been to a dealer service department that many times in my life.

The powerboost are the 3.5 turbo right?

I wonder if it's because the intercooler is full of water? They had that issue on lightly driven 3.5EB engines for a while. Someone would get on it real hard to pass and it would cough and choke because it just ingested a lot of water. A lot of people drilled tiny holes in the bottom of the intercooler to let the water drain up.

On something like a hybrid where the engine is on/off all the time and the battery does a lot of the heavy lifting, I could see the intercooler filling up with water ...

Last edited:
I lost count at how many times you visited a dealer for the same stuff and commend you for your patience.

I would have been done after the 3rd visit.

I haven't been to a dealer service department that many times in my life.
Thanks! It has been a wild ride. West-Herr does not like me anymore.

Thanks! It has been a wild ride. West-Herr does not like me anymore.
I've had decent luck with their Chevy, Ram/Jeep and Nissan stores over the years, but that was in regards to much more clear cut issues.

The squeaks, rattles and noises issue is a rough one for any shop really. It's tough for the techs to get paid for their time, so they tend to brush things off.

Get in line for a Tundra and trade that junk in.

The powerboost are the 3.5 turbo right?

I wonder if it's because the intercooler is full of water? They had that issue on lightly driven 3.5EB engines for a while. Someone would get on it real hard to pass and it would cough and choke because it just ingested a lot of water. A lot of people drilled tiny holes in the bottom of the intercooler to let the water drain up.

On something like a hybrid where the engine is on/off all the time and the battery does a lot of the heavy lifting, I could see the intercooler filling up with water ...
Yes correct. 3.5 ecoboost paired with a hybrid. That could be something.

Back