The one benefit I see with push button start

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ram doesn't have a pushbutton- its got a regular key. But it has the "tip start" feature where just flicking the key and letting it go will start the engine. And if you hold the key in the start position after the engine is running, the starter releases anyway. I think GM was actually the first to have that feature way back in the 90s.

Interestingly my stick-shift Challenger (which DOES have pushbutton start) insists that you hold the button down until the engine has caught and is running. I think its because remote-start is disabled in the PCM with stick-shift transmissions.

Its kinda sad to see the direct connection to the starter go away, though. Hearing someone hold a key too long after an engine start was my way of identifying them as a mechanical moron, and thence keeping far, far away from them. :p

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The advantage is that the key stays in your purse (or pocket) and never needs to come out

Which I thought, and I quote myself, was "the stupidest thing on God's green earth." Until I'd lived with a keyless entry vehicle for about 1 day, now I'm sold. Its wonderful! Unbelievably wonderful.

And before you ask, 'what if the keyless fob battery dies?' well that was my first question too. And the owners' manual wasn't very clear. But at least in the Chrysler system that the Challenger and my wife's JGC have, you can take the battery out of the fob (yes, I tried it) and prove to yourself that it won't unlock the door. OK, now take out the emergency key out of the end of the keyless fob and unlock the door (the alarm may go off). Get in, pop the "push to start" button out of the dash with the tip of the emergency key. Press the blunt tip of the keyless fob into the socket where the button goes- that gets the RFID chip close enough to the sensor to let the car know its a legit key, even without a powered transmitter in the fob. Turn the fob as if it were a key, engine starts. Drive home, replace battery, put "push to start" button back in the dash. Voila.

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander (and possibly other models/years) has a known problem where cold weather effects the reception of the keys electronic coding.

Mitsubishi told me they've conducted tests on vehicles which had this balky starting. Light bulbs were placed in cars on expected cold nights and the warmth appeared to have prevented the problem.

Pushing a button is cool and space-aged but you MUST remember that we're dealing with the scummiest scum of the earth doing something entirely stupid-namely car companies trying to be cool.

That always invites disaster and leaves the consumer as the wounded guinea pig who pays.
Honestly people, grow out of your need for toys. Push button starting looks cool in car commercials.
You want $250 car keys????? Kira......now yell at me.

Another benefit is in many States you can get a DUI if your intoxicated or sleeping with the keys just in the ignition....engine not even running..

Keyless solves this problem.

I don't like it. I like the keyless entry feature whereby pressing a button near the handle unlocks the door though. What I hate about the pushbutton start is that you end up with a big fob and several keys in your pocket while driving which I find uncomfortable. I had no problem sticking a key in a lock for about 39 years straight before I bought a car with a pushbutton. And, to make matters worse my Nissan 370Z is a model that is plagued with a problem where the over engineered solenoid that runs a pin in and out to lock the steering column fails which will prevent the car from starting necessitating a tow and a $500 part if out of warranty. Many Z drivers who are aware have pulled the fuse for the lock or hooked up bypass harnesses. This kind of thing was rare when the steering column locked with a key. Nissan reluctantly issued a recall to replace the solenoid but I still don't trust it. And still don't like having the keys in my pocket when driving.

My car has a cross between a conventional key and a pushbutton system. You carry your transmitter with you, and twist a knob that feels much like a conventional key. I like the system simply because I didn't have to change my habits as much to drive the car.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Another benefit is in many States you can get a DUI if your intoxicated or sleeping with the keys just in the ignition....engine not even running..

Keyless solves this problem.

So would not getting behind the wheel after you've been drinking...

Love mine. Hop in the car, push the button and it starts. No taking the key out, finding the hole, etc. I think I've replaced batteries 2x since I got the car 4.75 years ago. Even if the batteries die there is a key buried in the fob and a box in the console to put the key to start the car.

I've found that the "new fangled electrical gizmos" have been more reliable than the mechanical stuff on my cars.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I've found that the "new fangled electrical gizmos" have been more reliable than the mechanical stuff on my cars.

Agreed.

Switches no longer have to switch any measurable amount of current to activate a device. No more 15 amps through a headlight switch or even more through an ignition switch. All a switch does now is switch ground to a transistor or a relay, which does the heavy work.

Very true. I guess its impossible to accidently grind the starter gears with the engine running with a push button because it would just turn the engine off.. Then the driver would be very confused. Lol.

I always wear cargo shorts so being able to just leave my keys in a zipped pocket while traveling makes my mind a bit more at ease. While I have never done it, losing my keys is a huge phobia of mine.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ford has had the PCM controlled started even on the key start cars for a few years now. I have it on the new Mustang and love it, just tap the key and let the computer do all the work.

My 2007 Chevy Uplander does the same thing

Ya it was pretty funny when it came out. We had a Ford PR dude saying how it was all that and a bag of chips and Ford invented it until one of the techs raised his hand and said "but my Hummer H3 has it already," silence....

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
I don't like it...What I hate about the pushbutton start is that you end up with a big fob and several keys in your pocket while driving which I find uncomfortable.

The keyless entry and start fob is just larger than the fob for my older Subaru, which also had a separate key. So, the fob for my '14 is much smaller and virtually unnoticeable in my pocket compared to the key and fob of my previous '08.

Also, how many keys do you have that make it so uncomfortable? I have a work key, house key, lock box key, roofrack key, two savings club nubbins, and finally my library nubbins, and I don't really notice any of it. I do, however, toss everything into the center console for longer trips.

Again, the fact that I don't have to remove anything from my pockets to get into my car, start or stop my engine is pretty convenient. As soon as this thing gives me problems, though, I'm sure I'll change my tune and wish I had my old key to insert.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The advantage is that the key stays in your purse (or pocket) and never needs to come out

Or you do it my way and throw the fob in the ashtray and forget it. Anyone could drive of with my car, i don't lock it at home. LOL

I agree with Kira. We're adding complexity to cars that are built with no robustness and the bare minimum of reliability. Enough with the toys and adding needless content to vehicles. The money is better spent on improving the existing architecture of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Cause the main benefit is you don't have have to root around for a key

Don't you still need to root around for the key to unlock the car first? Unless you typically just leave it unlocked. I suppose some cars will automatically unlock themselves when the key is near...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I agree with Kira. We're adding complexity to cars that are built with no robustness and the bare minimum of reliability. Enough with the toys and adding needless content to vehicles. The money is better spent on improving the existing architecture of vehicles.

So what needs to be improved?

Cars today run longer with less maintenance than cars of yesterday.
Cars today get better fuel economy than cars of yesterday including the weight increases.
Cars today handle, brake, and accelerate better than cars of yesterday.
Cars today are safer than cars of yesterday.

I love the sound of a V8 and the smell of an old car. But take the car I love, the Mustang. A 2014 V6 Mustang will out handle, out power, and out brake the majority of V8 Mustangs up until the mid 90s. The 2014 5.0 would destroy just about the rest. Peruse this http://www.zeroto60times.com/Ford-0-60-mph-Times.html for eye-opening stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back